My New Pleco <3

Sakura

I always thought long-fin albino bristlenose plecos were pretty, but I never knew I could love one this much! I've only had this little guy for half a day, but I already love him to bits :heart He's just so precious! By the way, is it possible to know the gender when they are this small? He's only about 2.5 inches right now, including the long tail fin. Do they grow fast? They reach 4-5 inches, right? Tobi was flaring at him at first and almost tried nipping his fins a few times, but I think he finally figured out it's not another betta and he settled down.

l001.jpg

l005.jpg

l001-1.jpg

l002-1.jpg

l006.jpg

And here's the hillstream loach! This thing is soooo tiny, just about an inch! He's really tough to get a photo of because he's pretty jumpy and so quick. To give you an idea of how tiny he is, that is one of those glass thermometers to the right of him!

l007.jpg

And a bonus pic of one of the otos- there are three out of the original four left right now.

l002.jpg

Your bn looks like it will be a male. You can see the start of the bristles :)

I thought the albinos were so creepy looking...and now I have 5 LOL Is that loach thing the same thing as what migaloo has? I've got to look into those. They look very interesting but I don't think they are available locally.

Well I did a little googling and it turns out the females have bristles too- they're just shorter and less branched. So I think at this point it's still too soon to tell. Don't you think?

Yeah, it's the same thing as what Migaloo has! They're called Borneo Suckers or Hillstream Loaches. They weren't cheap at this store, but the employee gave me a discount because this one was so small. So far the loach is a little strange! It gets scared of movements really easily, and so far it's just been hiding really well. Most of the time I can't find it, and there's not even that much stuff to hide in! It's cute though, I like how the fins look like wings or something. Very interesting.

I pretty much love anything albino, and of course I love long fins! So naturally I'm a sucker for these plecos! :) I do think the big bristles on the males are kind of funny looking, but I guess it just adds to their charm!

Well I did a little googling and it turns out the females have bristles too- they're just shorter and less branched. So I think at this point it's still too soon to tell. Don't you think?

Well the males "usually" start earlier, but there are always exceptions lol

:Congrats: Adorable! Any chance of a full tank shot? :Aquarium11: :please

Your wish is my command Buggy! :angelstaf:

This is technically hubby's tank, he decorated it. I cleaned it today though (it was full of hair algae) because he had his wisdom teeth out today and wasn't feeling well. I got him a whole bunch of live plants for christmas, and they're hiding in the cabinet of my 55g tank right now in a bucket! I got vals, crypts, and one anubias. I think he'll really like them. :)

l009.jpg

Here's Tobi

l015.jpg

Luckily he didn't have to be put under, they just gave him a shot of novocaine and dug the two teeth out! :o But he's still in pain even from just that. I'm so scared because I have to have mine taken out soon, and I'm actually going to have to be put under. One of my teeth has grown in perpendicular to the molars, so I guess they have to break up some of the bone around the tooth to be able to get it out :doh11: It makes me sick just thinking about it! But I think I'll be so relieved once it's over with.

Oh, I'll definitely post pics once the new plants are in! :)

I made the mistake of getting my four impacted wisdom teeth out with just novacain...don't do it! It was such a long miserable surgery and my local wore off halfway through and my jaw was so sore from holding it open. Hope your hubby is feeling better.

I love the tank and the critters in it!

Oh I see. Makes sense! Do you know if they typically grow pretty fast?

They can grow fast with lots of food and clean water. Mine grew 1/4 of an inch in a month. It was a lot faster than I had anticipated.

Oh, and definitely go under for your surgery. I did when they removed my 4 and I don't remember anything from the four following days lol

Edited by ashlee18

Oh that sounds bad Amy! :o They should have advised you to go under!

Aren't you like... all disoriented and afraid after waking up from being under? That's one thing I'm afraid of! :unsure: I wouldn't mind not remembering anything the following days though! That's one experience I don't want to remember after it's over.

When I got mine out, they used a local anaesthetic and a heavy sedative. I was blissfully unaware of anything for 12 hours after the surgery (apparently I entertained the staff on my way out!) and the prescribed post op pain meds, well, from what I remember, they were dreamy :rofl

I was disoriented but not afraid lol I literally don't remember the car ride home. I remember getting off the bed and then walking to my house. Nothing in between that. I know that I had an issue with stairs though and having both feet on the ground was necessary :P

But never mind. I always have an issue with stairs...and gravity in general.

Edited by ashlee18

So, I always thought that even though you're taking pain meds after you can still feel some pain. Is that true?

Being unaware is something that scares me a lot. I think I'm a bit of a control freak :lol1 But I have never been out of control of myself; for example, I've never even been drunk in my life! So that being unaware and out of control is scary to me. I'm sure I'll be fine, but it's still scary!

Honestly, since it's a rare occasion that I take anything (maybe Tylenol once a year, lol) I couldn't tell you whether I felt pain for the first few days; if I did, I didn't care, :D I only took the meds for a few days, I didn't like feeling that floopy, then I felt soreness, gradually lessening for about a week longer.

I'm sure it will go well :) My friend was terrified before she got hers done a few months ago, almost worried herself sick because she also had to get grafting done to the inside of her bottom front teeth (wore down her gums with her tongue ring :doh11: ). She only took Tylenol (anything stronger freaks her out, too) and used an ice pack and she was fine in a week.

I was going to mention this, but google beat me to it.

I have had my 2 for about 8 months. The male has grown to about 4" total length, the female about 3" total length, they were both about 3/4" long when I got them. At this point I know the one is a female because she only has bristles growing on the sides not on top. They are both doing well in my goldie tank.

I was going to mention this, but google beat me to it.

I have had my 2 for about 8 months. The male has grown to about 4" total length, the female about 3" total length, they were both about 3/4" long when I got them. At this point I know the one is a female because she only has bristles growing on the sides not on top. They are both doing well in my goldie tank.

Oh thanks j-pond! You know... maybe mine is a female because it only has tiny bristles starting to grow around the edges of her nose, none on the top! I guess we'll see. :)

Congrats Sakura! Longfin BN ROCK!! :rockon

Yours is a lovely looking fellow :wub:

From my experience with BN, the bristles start to grow around the nose only at first and the top ones dont come until later. I really think yours will be a male :) I could be wrong, but I doubt a female would grow bristles so young - mine never have.

CONGRATS on the borneo sucker! :nana I cant believe you found one so quickly after saying you never see them in my thread! Whoo whoo!! They are so so so cool! Are you going to get any more of them? Its really cute to watch them interact with each other :)

Mine were really flighty at first too, but now they aren't scared at all anymore.... I even had one sharing an algea wafer with one of my corys today - was so great to watch :)

With 4 in my tank, I rarely see them all at once, but since I have a few, Im guarateed of seeing at least one or two at any given time. I love watching them so much - Im know you will love yours too :wub: As far as I have read about them, the most important thing for them is dissolved oxygen, which is why they prefer cooler water. Sometimes I worry about mine in the tropical tank, but it seems to be well oxygenated and they seem to be doing really well. I just hope it stays that way... but yeah, I kind of worry about them though :unsure: I figure if I didnt buy them, some kid would have - so they're better off with me LOL!

Oh... you have to tell me if you got the same 'footprints' as I did once you do a waterchange :P

The tank and your fish are pretty.. the albino is a bit scary though XD

Just awesome. I so love Plecos.

So, I always thought that even though you're taking pain meds after you can still feel some pain. Is that true?

Being unaware is something that scares me a lot. I think I'm a bit of a control freak :lol1 But I have never been out of control of myself; for example, I've never even been drunk in my life! So that being unaware and out of control is scary to me. I'm sure I'll be fine, but it's still scary!

The worst part for me was being put under and losing control because I'm also a control freak. I was in a panic. And I had heard all kinds of horror stories. Everything went very smoothly. After, I had very little pain and one cheek turned slightly yellow.

They had to break one of my teeth into pieces. The Dentist gave me a script for Tylenol 3, but all I needed was regular Tylenol to be pain free. They should give you meds so that any pain is minimal. The only time I had a little pain was right after.

Oh, and I had all 4 done.

Edited by Grace