I'm So Peeved At My Job

number20121

I work at a grocery store. There I work in the office (meaning I'm a supervisor to the people that work at the front end, I run the customer service desk, am responsible for the safe / cash, reconciling at night etc) and as part time pricing coordinator.

I normally get around 30 hours weekly.

I was asked to fill in for the Health and Beauty clerk as she'd be out for six months due to foot surgery. I did that before, but my hours got screwed up then and so I told them I'll only do it if I don't miss out any hours, and they said that it's gonna be fine.

So the first week I did HBC now I got a whole 17 hours. The second week I got 20, next week I'll get 24. That is an average of 10 hours per week less, a third missing out of my paychecks!

You'd think that if you're asked to do someone else's job while their sick you'd get a little bit out of it, like extra hours. After all you don't HAVE to do the other person's job. But instead they frickin' take my money!

My store manager hasn't been in when I was working, I just finished writing a letter that I'll give him, asking him to find someone else to run HBC asap. I cannot hope every week that I get enough hours to pay my bills, especially not for half a year!

I speak from experience. Retail foods sucks. And yet 38 years later in management I'm still doing it. I must be crazy. But if the store has a good manager he'll listen to what you have to say and fix the problem to keep you happy. Employees who can work multiple jobs are to be highly valued. Hope it works out for you, Fang! ;)

It is so weird that we work for different chains and yet the lingo is all the same. I never thought I would heard someone outside of my company say HBC lol

Back on topic. I think it is weird that they would reduce your hours, especially around the holidays. Are your departments considered separate? Like at my store, each department has their own allotted hours. So if you were at my store, you would continue to work your shifts already with the others added in. So you would be getting more hours...if that makes sense.

It makes me mad when the managers want to cut our hours. They don't seem to realize that we are not salaried, we NEED those hours.

Yes, Office runs on front end hours, and HBC on grocery hours.

Funny that you all are surprised about the cut hours before holidays. Every year, during November and December corporate cuts the hours of the entire store. Probably because around thanksgiving we get a bonus that equals 1 week of work for part time and 2 weeks for full time employees. So since we're getting some extra there, they're at the same time cutting back on the other hours so they can afford the bonus. No joke. Corporate actually sends an email down about this every year, how we get less hours projected for the rest of the year because of the bonus.

Dennis, I do multiple jobs. As said, I work the office at the front end, Health & Beauty/Special Merchandise (that is all that specialty stuff in our store, like gourmet items, hispanic and asian foods section, brooms/mops, pet accessories, batteries and lighting etc.) and am fully trained pricing coordinator. Not sure how other grocery chains do it, but at Food Lion it is being in charge of the entire pricing. Changing prices, activating the ad price changes, hanging and activating on an average 3,000 - 4,000 tags every week, making/changing signage etc. Pricing Coordinator is my favorite job, although it can be stressful. Wednesdays (ad change day) I start at 6 am and work until 8 pm whenever I fill in for our Pricing Coordinator or at another store. But I like being in charge of what I do. And I'm good at it!

But anyway, that gets a bit off topic now. I am told even by my store manager and other managers that I am an asset to our store because I know how to work all different jobs and do an excellent job. Even some of the people that are in charge of the district noticed me.

Yet I had to go through Human Relations to finally get a raise while others who started working at our store AFTER me as "plain" cashiers, with less experience and bad attendance received raises and got paid MORE than me. Not putting down our baggers, but if a minor who works as bagger and has not so great attendance and is known to be slacking gets paid more than me, there is something wrong. I tried talking to them and they were going on about how the budget is tight.

Interestingly our company was about to buy up an even larger grocery store chain in this area. So they can't tell me they got no money.

After months of corresponding with Human Relations I finally got a 75 cent raise. WOW.

I bet they're gonna skip my raise in march though when my 3 year anniversary at this store comes up, with the reason that "I just received a raise".

I really love working at this store, don't get me wrong. The people I work with are great, our customers are (mostly) nice and I even enjoy the work itself. But the way this company treats the associates is a joke. Even our assistant store manager said that the other day, he said the only place that treats its associates worse is Wally World. (He was bitching about how our produce manager gets paid more than him, although in this case, the produce manager works with this company for decades while the assistant store manager only for a few years).

But getting around 20 hours right now because I am HELPING MY STORE OUT is ridiculous. If the store manager doesn't do anything, I'll have to go through HR again, I don't care.

thats ridiculous

you should still get paid the same ,after all your helping them out. it sucks

just go in and tell your boss your not doing it, and that you will return to your own job asap.

good luck

Funny that you all are surprised about the cut hours before holidays. Every year, during November and December corporate cuts the hours of the entire store. Probably because around thanksgiving we get a bonus that equals 1 week of work for part time and 2 weeks for full time employees. So since we're getting some extra there, they're at the same time cutting back on the other hours so they can afford the bonus. No joke. Corporate actually sends an email down about this every year, how we get less hours projected for the rest of the year because of the bonus.

I'm surprised because we get more hours during the holidays. We get bonus checks the first week of December and then EVERYONE works 30+ hours the week before Christmas, even the minors. On Christmas eve alone, we have 4 office staff closing, both the customer service managers, 3 baggers and 8 cashiers. I don't understand the 8 cashiers though since we only have 7 registers...

I understand the whole raise thing. There is a part time office staff that gets paid more than me. She has worked at the store for only two years and got fired once while I have been there 5 1/2 years and work FT. All the customers know me by name and love me and yet I get paid less. I swear it is because I work 2x as much as her.

Our store is going through an HR nightmare right now. Things were awful but are slowly getting better. Our chain as a whole is great, it is just the lazy managers that work in my department that let the whole store fall apart. Hope things get better for you too :)

Gee, I bet that sucks too. Our chain is the bad guy though, not so much the management. I remember, shortly after I started working in the office, I was closing one night when they announced snow. You know what that means. Everyone had to get bread, milk, and bananas (and tons of other stuff) because of here in the south you're gonna be snowed in for about two and a half hours :rolleyes:

It was Saturday, already the busiest night of the week, but corporate decided to cut hours. I had to send all but two cashiers home!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And me, the midshift office guy and all the managers who could run registers were running the front end. It was INSANE. Store manager, assistant store mananger, DSD receiver were all running registers because corporate decided to cut hours on a snow day. :doh11: