I Am Bummed

So as many of you know I have been using zeolite in my un-cycled QT tanks for my ryukins while i set up and cycle their tanks. It really has been a godsend for the water params. It perfectly takes care of any trace ammonia.

Anyways, I have been doing a conservative QT on these fish because they all come from a good source and have been well QTd before I got them. HOWEVER, I am a major Fluke phobic so I treated them all with Prazi.

Well, as I was speaking to the seller he told me that ZEOLITE ABSORBS MEDS!!! This bums me out because I cannot buy Prazi in Switzerland and I now used my one last bottle for nothing really... :( I now ordered a couple of jars of the Prazi from GoldfishConnection which is in powder form and will hopefully last longer.

But now I am wondering, should I even bother to Prazi the guys? I would have to remove the Zeolite and stress them out with trace ammonia (plus I have a very high pH which makes low ammonia already very toxic).

I was thinking of just having my friend help me and scope the fish gills for flukes and go from there?

What do you guys think?

Just to play devil's advocate, Trinket told me that sometimes swabs don't pick up flukes if they are tiny little larvae or eggs. That is why I went ahead and prazied my guys. But if all seems fine, they really are probably okay.

My friend will do the scrapes with me next week! :rockon

Then we will see.

I also have been told (by my not so reliable vet) that you can prazi the fish, move him after 24hrs, and all the flukes on him will be dead??? (therefore if you put him in clean water he will be 'cured'???)

Me White Veiltail lived for 7 years without any fluke treatment, because i knew

nothing about it.

All my fish recently got their first prazi treatment ever, without showing

any symptoms at all before or during treatment.

I would just keep an eye on the fish like you normally would.

If symptoms appear later on, then treat them along with the rest

of their tankmates at that time.

I am a major Fluke phobic so I treated them all with Prazi.

I cannot buy Prazi in Switzerland

What do you guys think?

? for CFG 1. can you buy items from germany?

2. can yu buy items from E-Bay europe?

3. can GLS dilver to you?

if yes to some of these ? then I can provide links to where I get mine (powder and very good stuff too)

I always to to stablize fish first befor performing long treatments by giving the short dip for parasite and rinse and later do the other stuff.

@ Mikroll: Yup I am 30mins from germany :)

Do you have some names of Prazi Products? I know Sera has one but I do not want to use it as you apparently have to do a water change a few hrs later as some of the ingredients promote huge algae growth.

@ Mikroll: Yup I am 30mins from germany :)

Do you have some names of Prazi Products?

I went through the fluke battle and with some friends we located super source of the correct chemical for best treatments. please note for another discusion thread that the flukes are killed within 60 minutes and will explain later how we know this and why longer time is needed).

i buy mine direct from Koi-med.de buy here is link to their dealers one of whom is located in your country too. Claus is very fast in sending out the product wormex (prazi) and they also have very fine other items . this is for treat of koi ponds so must be good andin pleanty big sizes!!

http://www.koimed.de/de/haendlerverzeichnis.php

http://www.koimed.de/de/index.php

Oh thanx Mikroll!

please note for another discusion thread that the flukes are killed within 60 minutes and will explain later how we know this and why longer time is needed).

Do you want me to start a thread about flukes you mean?

My vet also said that the best thing to do when moving a fish is just put prazi in a tank and then move the fish 2-3hrs later and he should be 'fluke free'.

My vet also said that the best thing to do when moving a fish is just put prazi in a tank and then move the fish 2-3hrs later and he should be 'fluke free'.

that is common techique used in commerical fish farm . to dose fish while in transfer tanks being trucked to release point in lake.

later will enjoy to share video i made of how long it takes to kill fluke with vary chemicals . the problem is with the eggs of one kind of fluke which hatch later and are much harder to destroy as they are in shell. also fluke is known to embed within gills in muscus and some are not then exposed soon and destroyed so repeats are needed.

now i see at koi-med site that there are at least 3 dealer in Lucerne,Neuenegg, and Ulmiz besides Austria germany etc.

So last night I did a few scrapes with my friend and he checked them in his microscope and the 5 guys/gals are totally in the clear :D

I am still doing 2 rounds of Prazi in the 2 last ones (the older ones have already had the extensive treatment) and I will do 5 days of 0.3% salt.

My friend was obviously way more practical in holding the fish than me! The short tails are especially feisty! So what he did was take them and turn them and put them against the wall of the tubs, mostly in the water except the part that needed to be scraped. Worked very well, especially if you are alone. I usually just hold them in the middle of the tank, sort of resting in my hand - but it only works with the broadtail guys who couldn't care less what you do to them :D