Prazi And Salt

npila1

This didn't qualify for the emergency section, but it is urgent, so I would really appreciate some quick answers!!

I am treating my comet (in the same tank with one of my commons) for finrot with 0.3% salt right now. They both have flukes and it's getting worse - last night they were both bottom sitting, but my comet was much worse (all her fins were completely clamped, she was twitching/scratching on the gravel...she looked terrible :(). I am leaving for a week in 3 days so I was advised to hold off on the prazi until I was back, but it looks like I can't afford to do that anymore. So I have two questions:

1) I've heard mixed opinions about whether salt affects prazi's effectiveness. Can someone that actually used salt (at least 0.2%) with prazi tell me whether the prazi treated the flukes or not? Will it be ok if I keep the salt levele at 0.2% during the prazi treatment?

2) My plan about the prazi additions was to add it once today, do a water change on Monday and add prazi again (in 3 days, which is when I'm leaving), and then repeat the water change/prazi addition the following Monday (in 10 days, which is when I'll be back), and from then on every monday, once a week. What do you think about this?

I will post the answers to the list of questions soon. Thanks!

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? <5

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.5

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 6.8 (i use buff it up)

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drops

[*]Water temperature? 72

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gallons, 6 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? aquaculture 10-30 gallons

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? i have been changing it 3-4 times a week for the past 2 weeks or so, 30% each time

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish, 3 inches each

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? twice a day: progold, peas, corn, freeze dried bloodworms

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? last added prazi 5 weeks ago

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? mild case of finrot

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Great appetite, but extreme bottom sitting with all fins completely clamped (her caudal fin even "fell over" and was draped over the gravel), twitching, scratching on the gravel, occasional yawning, some gulping (but can't tell if it's the "normal" amount)

I did a 30% water change and added one dose of prazi. I'm still not sure whether I should add prazi again in 3 days or in 10 days, so if anyone has advice on that, please let me know.

I would add it before you leave. It is a gentle med and it is needed closer together in the first couple doses to kill everything.

Ok I'll do that, thanks.

By the way, I contacted Hikari and they told me that if you have a salt concentration higher than 0.1% (I have it at 0.2% now) it reduces the effectiveness of prazi. They've been bottom sitting a lot more today, but I can't tell if it's because they are getting or worse or if it's because prazi is working... :(

I have ALWAYS used Prazi with at least 0.2% salt in my tanks, and I have wiped out countless colonies of flukes. I have never heard about it not working in salt until very recently on the boards.

Maybe what Hikari means is that one dose isn't enough when using it with salt, but we recommend doing AT LEAST two doses of Prazi no matter what, so it shouldn't ever be a problem. I actually ALWAYS do a full month (4 doses) of Prazi each time I use it, so maybe that's why I have never had a problem.

I have ALWAYS used Prazi with at least 0.2% salt in my tanks, and I have wiped out countless colonies of flukes. I have never heard about it not working in salt until very recently on the boards.

Maybe what Hikari means is that one dose isn't enough when using it with salt, but we recommend doing AT LEAST two doses of Prazi no matter what, so it shouldn't ever be a problem. I actually ALWAYS do a full month (4 doses) of Prazi each time I use it, so maybe that's why I have never had a problem.

Yeah, I was really surprised when Hikari said that and I wrote back to clarify and this is what they said: "Natalie - salt can make the product ineffective. The Hikari Customer Service Team"

But thanks for letting me know that it worked for you, I should have no problem then!

I actually ALWAYS do a full month (4 doses) of Prazi each time I use it, so maybe that's why I have never had a problem.

By the way, you meant that you add one dose of prazi every week for 4 weeks?