Glass Hood Question

Guest Mike and Linda

Guest Mike and Linda

I have a glass top and was just curious if I should leave it closed all the time or leave it half open? What would be better for the fish. I do heat my tank.

I *think* partly open is better for a better gas exchange. Just make sure nothing and no one can get in the tank and if you heat it (why?) that you replace what evaporated, if it is more than the normal water changes would take care of.

Guest Mike and Linda

I heat so that the temp stays stable at 74 F. My temp in the room where the fish are goes from 66 to 71 on a daily basis. I don't have heat in that room.

I read alot on here that the temp needs to be stable. I never use to use a heater.

• Admin

Yup the same thing for all fish tanks. Even when I had my SW tank I would make sure I had some big gaps in my hood so I could leave my lids down and let the gas exchange go out :)

Guest Mike and Linda

I am glad you told us this. All our tanks have been covered very good. I removed all my plastic strips and opened my hood in the front of my glass top. Thanks again.

Guest Mike and Linda

I know that we need to leave our hoods 1/2 open to let the gas out. My question now is because i store fresh water with prime for water changes in a container and I keep my lid fully on it. Would that be ok for gasses or do I need to leave the hood off on my water storage container?

Mike if it's pure unused water conditioned with Prime I don't see that being a problem. It's when you add carbon dioxide and waste toxins to the water is when you need to have buildup of dangerous gases released.

Gradual temperature changes won't stress your fish. Immediate temperature changes will shock them and will kill them. Your GF will be able to handle the gradual temp change in the room if you don't have a heater. My room temps get down to 60? while I'm gone during the week which is why I use a heater to keep mine at 72?-73?. ;)

Guest Mike and Linda

Thanks for the water answer. I use a heater and keep my tanks about 75 F is that ok for Lionheads, Ranchus and fantails? My room temp goes from about 66 F at night to about 72 in the day.

Thanks for the water answer. I use a heater and keep my tanks about 75 F is that ok for Lionheads, Ranchus and fantails? My room temp goes from about 66 F at night to about 72 in the day.

There are many different opinions about correct water temps for goldfish. As they are a very hardy fish they can tolerate a wide range of temps. The most widely recommended temps for GF are 68?-75?. I prefer 72?-74? for my telescopes. ;)

My big tank has a glass top but there is plenty area in the back (where the filters are) for gas exchange. I leave the glass lids shut & have never had a problem!