My Teles Are Getting Early Christmas Presents...

dogsbykat

So, hard water has fried yet another filter :( Now I'm down to no spares in the closet, which is not cool, considering they only last about a year in our water. I debated on getting a canister, but I don't want to spend that much, in case it doesn't last any longer than HOBs. So, tonight I ordered the teles 2 Eheim Liberty power filters, totaling 400 gph, so my spare can go back in the closet. I'm thinking that it might be smart to spend some Christmas $ on a new one for the tropicals; theirs has only been in hard water for a couple of months, so it would be good as a second spare. I'm trying new brands, just to see if any last longer in our water; I've already had Aquaclears and Whispers, wondering if there's any point in trying one with a bio wheel or will it clog instantly? Has anyone here tried Penn Plax Cascade? They look like they have a lot of space for media.

Oh I have the Eheim ones for my QT tanks! I have a monstrous collection hehehe! I like the mid-sized ones best. THey are the ones who start up best alone. The smaller and larger ones I just throw in a glass of water to jump start them.

What part of the filter does your hard water kill? I wonder if soaking that part weekly in vinegar would help?

Good to hear that you like your Eheims. I'm not sure if it's just the motor, in general, dying. I take everything I can apart and soak it in vinegar regularly on each filter, the vinegar's just not strong enough. I have to use CLR and bleach in our dishwasher regularly, and I use something stronger on our showerhead, otherwise most of the nozzles clog up and it feels like you're showering under a hail of bullets :doh11:

are you in the mountains? I know that in my chalet we have VERY hard water but it is the purest - right from the mountain source. I also have 0,0,0 in both areas.

We're actually in the middle of the Canadian prairies, so no mountains, but our water comes from a sand point fed from an underground stream, so that would explain the purity. Thanks for the link, Dennis, I've looked into those but worry about them lowering pH. The fish are thriving in the water, as is, so I'm leery of messing with it, ya know?

Your teles are very lucky :) but it sucks that the water kills your filter like that. I didn't know that was possible, then again I have super soft water. So I guess we have to take the good with the bad. Your water is perfect for the fish but not the filters, mine is the opposite lol I would rather have it perfect for the fish.