Jump to content

Glass Canopy


Recommended Posts

  • Regular Member

hellooos.

so not too many weeks ago, i bought some new HO T5 lights, they do amazing, and i also bought a glass cover, canopy, hood, whatever you would like to call it. i know usually people dont bother, sometimes they do, anyways i got it just in case because i sort of have jumpers, but actually the only jumpers are my killifish. and they dont even jump. just like a scare, and splash the water. anyways, the reason why i am writing this is wondering if i should bother having it on? because now with these lights algae actually does grow.. finaally you could say, but on the glass as well, so it is annoying cleaning it weekly. and at times, the water sprinkles on top or underneath because of the bubbler, and so like.. this white dry thing goes on it.. what the bleep is this btw? it looks like a salt residue. and i tried, and did clean it, but it took quite some scrubbing with just using water.

anyways, what do you think? should i have it on? killifish dont do much. tetras never, bettas in the containers, pleco is uber small loaches etc never. so yeah. and i got like 1.3 inches of clearance anyways from water level to the top of the tank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Calcium deposits I think. I know what you're talking about, I have one on my 2.5 gallon betta tank. Vinegar works EXTREMELY well for this.

I would keep it on. It helps keep less evaporation? I'm about to get one for my 55 gallon. You can never be too careful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Calcium deposits I think. I know what you're talking about, I have one on my 2.5 gallon betta tank. Vinegar works EXTREMELY well for this.

I would keep it on. It helps keep less evaporation? I'm about to get one for my 55 gallon. You can never be too careful.

ahh so thats what it is! i shall clean it with vinegar. and for some reason this glass top does a lot better than the plastic stock one when it came to evaporation. the glass gets foggy but the water level hardly ever changes. while with the plastic one, it would go down a lot. but then again, the weather is cold . we shall see how the summer goes. hmm i suppose. i just hope i get rid of all that algae on it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin

i had a tank with a compact light system on it with no glass and the water would splash on it and it ruined my light system. I would highly suggest to make sure the glass protects the lights :o

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

i had a tank with a compact light system on it with no glass and the water would splash on it and it ruined my light system. I would highly suggest to make sure the glass protects the lights :o

was the light bulbs exposed themselves or did they have a protective cover? mine have a protective cover, and well i guess i as might as well well keep it. 200 for the lights, 50 for the glass top.. so i guess might as well use it. gotta clean it all over again. give it a nice spread. will any light about of vinegar that will be stuck on the glass, affect my water quality? like if i clean it. any of it that may be left mix with the evaporated water then drip down affect anything?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I don't know if your glass canopy is fully closed. But I have heard various stories of fish getting sick from evaporated water falling back in the tank contaminated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I don't know if your glass canopy is fully closed. But I have heard various stories of fish getting sick from evaporated water falling back in the tank contaminated.

its not fully closed, there is about 2 inches or so of open space at the back so that you can put filters, heaters, etc. so its not fully closed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin

If its a small bit no, but you want to make sure you do a nice good rinse on it. A little wont hurt just might change your ph if you get to much in the tank.

Yeah mine had a protected plastic on it and the water still managed to splash and get the light.. burning it out :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...