Cycle Bump?

npila1

My comet has fin rot, so I added 0.3% salt 4 days ago. I had an established tank before that (0, 0, and nitrates always less than 5-10). Since I added the salt my tests have been showing 0,0,0 - I have been doing water changes every 2 days. Is this a cycle bump or is it because the water changes are frequent?

I am worried because I am leaving for a week in 4 days, so a cycle bump would be a nightmare right now.

I think it's just from the frequent water changes. Those are pretty low nitrates so it probably takes time to build up. :D No worries cause you're going to be on vacation!

Edited by Haruka

I think it's just from the frequent water changes. Those are pretty low nitrates so it probably takes time to build up. :D NO worries cause you're going to be on vacation!

Yeah tell me about it, I'm getting more and more worried/paranoid about everything as it gets closer to the day I'm gonna leave... :)

Do you haven someone to check on the water, someone who could perform one or two water changes in you absence, just in case? Or at least dump some prime in the tank to protect the fish?

I have someone that will be able to come feed them - I was going to ask him to come only 3 times (once every 2 days) so that they don't get overfed (even though I will have the food premeasured) and the water doesn't get too dirty. I definitely don't trust him with doing water changes but he might be able to add prime in the tank... If I ask him to do that, how often should he do it? And should he add the amount required for the entire amount of water in the tank?

I have someone that will be able to come feed them - I was going to ask him to come only 3 times (once every 2 days) so that they don't get overfed (even though I will have the food premeasured) and the water doesn't get too dirty. Smart thinking on premeasuring the food. Just enough so they can clean it up in one-two minutes and they'll be fine. Feeding every other day won't hurt them at all.

I definitely don't trust him with doing water changes but he might be able to add prime in the tank... If I ask him to do that, how often should he do it? And should he add the amount required for the entire amount of water in the tank?

Prime can be added directly to your tank with no danger. According to Seachem use 1 capful of Prime for every 50 gallons water. I would have him add it when he comes to feed the fish, every other day. ;)