Replacing Slime Coat

npila1

My comet who has fin rot was choking and I had to pick her up to take the gravel out of her mouth (it was a terrible experience, I was so scared :(). And I am worried about her slime coat now because I don't want her to be vulnerable to (more) parasites/diseases. Should I add stresscoat or can I do anything else to help with her slime coat?

My comet who has fin rot was choking and I had to pick her up to take the gravel out of her mouth (it was a terrible experience, I was so scared :(). And I am worried about her slime coat now because I don't want her to be vulnerable to (more) parasites/diseases. Should I add stresscoat or can I do anything else to help with her slime coat?

That happened to me years back. But I was too much of a wuss to do it myself, so my Mother, of all people, got him out of the tank and popped the rock out. He was fine afterward. I'm not sure when I calmed down.

If you want to add some Stress Coat, it won't hurt him. Just keep a close eye to make sure you don't see the beginnings of anything. People handle their fish for a variety of reasons.

Moms have extraordinary skills. :angelstaf:

Hi guys, thanks for the quick replies. I should have specified that I've been using prime as a dechlorinator when I do water water changes (and I actually did a water change earlier today). Will the prime that was added to the new water earlier today also help with the production of slime coat? If not, I just wanted to confirm that it's not bad to combine prime and stresscoat...

You can use both together with no ill effects but the Prime in my opinion does a much better job. The Stress coat has aloe for a healing effect but I've always like the Prime. ;)

So should I add more prime now (if yes, how much)? Or does the one that I used for the water change work?

I'd only use it by the recommended dosage for water changes. Same with the Stress Coat...overuse could lead to other issues by stressing your fish. Slow and easy and she'll be fine. ;)

So now she is swimming around with her fins clamped and also bottom sat briefly (but got up when I went in front of the tank). Do you think this is related to the choking/handling?