Pythoning

Okay, so last night boyfriend and I were emptying the vinegar water from the new 200gallon with the python. He then reminded me that this job would use:

: the 200Gal from the tank

: PLUS 400Gal just to keep the python sucking

Now, I LOVE my python for the smaller tanks, but this seems to be going a little over board. I have an issue just wasting the 400Gal just to run the python. That's perfectly clean water down the drain for no purpose at all.

So, boyfriend and I called around a bit and our friend of the LFS recommended to use the python to start suction and then just remove the hose and put it on the balcony/in the shower etc... ( I think many of you do that?)

So we tried that. Okay it worked but OMGGGGGGG I almost grew roots waiting for the tank to finish emptying! It is DEFINITELY slower than with the python on the sink suction.

So my question is - do any of you smarties out there know of a way to speed it up? Boyfriend and I already thought that we could plug in 2 pythons and run them together out the balcony.

Otherwise, will getting a FAT hose make it faster? I don't even know how I would start that.

I had the exact same issue with my 170/180g. A fat hose DEFINITELY makes it faster.

I only use the python only to refill the tank and I made this attachment to empty/vacuum my tank - its the "Migaloo 2000" - works a treat! ;)

10112010451.jpg

Yikes!! That's a lot of water down the drain. I hope you figure out a solution soon.

Here in California we're in a perpetual state of drought, so I'm super sensitive about water going to waste.

Take care and have fun setting up the monster.

mj

Migaloo that looks awesome!!!!!! I will try and go out and find the pieces. Where did you find the piece to attach the fat hose to the smaller one?

[quote name='Captain Findus Goldfish' timestamp='1292538081' post='1007575

So my question is - do any of you smarties out there know of a way to speed it up? Boyfriend and I already thought that we could plug in 2 pythons and run them together out the balcony.

Otherwise, will getting a FAT hose make it faster? I don't even know how I would start that.

Yes there are several waysto "speed it up" , depends upon how much work and how handy you are.

do not forget that you have a very fine pond pump already connected to your tank and all that is needed is a valve or two and a "T" fitting to connect it via quick release to a nice garden hose which goes to drains and it will suck your tank empty in no time.

• Supporter

Oh wow Migaloo! That thing looks like it MOVES water!!!!

I have nothing to offer of ideas, but I am one of those people that starts the python and then moves the hose to water my flowers. It's a win, win... I clean the fish tanks AND my flowers loves the old water.

Hope you can recreate Migaloo's syphon 'cause that thing is pretty cool!

@ Mikroll - As you can see I didn't even think of that! I am NOT HANDY at all! But my friend who installed the tank is coming back down tuesday because the filter is having some problems. Now. Is there a way to set up a T thing like you say and keep the filter running at the same time? I don't like turning the filter off when I do water changes.

@ Mikroll - As you can see I didn't even think of that! I am NOT HANDY at all! But my friend who installed the tank is coming back down tuesday because the filter is having some problems. Now. Is there a way to set up a T thing like you say and keep the filter running at the same time? I don't like turning the filter off when I do water changes.

hi Capatin of the findus,

Each install requires custom fit but yours in picture looks to be a very simple operation and with correct use of valves settings should allow filter to also function.But please note you have only a 750 liter total tank and how many liters per hour does your pump push? Iwill bet it is at least 1400 or more so down time of filter is really very little.( actualy you real water total will be much less closer to 650 maybe.)

a"T" or 3 way valve at output of pump and also note that python thing of yurs is a"toy" for big tank. you need a 20mm hose or more connected and not those "thin" 8mm things.

and also note that python thing of yurs is a"toy" for big tank. you need a 20mm hose or more connected and not those "thin" 8mm things.

:rofl :rofl :rofl thats cause I am a girl!!! :rofl :rofl :rofl

Okey I sent an email to my friend so he can maybe set it up for me when he comes. My pump is a beast - 3500liters and hour :D So you are right, the filter would be off like 10minutes.

I will wait and see if my friend knows how to do this. I guess so because this is also how he drains his ponds I believe - some drainage thing on the floor.

I could always use the python just to clean up pieces of waste around the tank.

ok so if you have a pump capable of 3500 l/h then you might need a nice hose like a 25mm to handle it properly . I use a 25 mm to drain and fill most of my tanks and only use the eductor (python) for special things that the pump can not do. and yes it is fast.

CFG,

here is one way to configure a drain system powered by aquarium pump.

note following pictures are of my active carbon filter attached to a city water line and then the valves and the "T" fitting to split the water flow going to input into tanks or used as a drain and comming from tanks(same line)

Ok for you ...imagine in place of the ACF(blue thing) is your pump. Now your pump goes directly into the pond filter. But now at the point where tube comes out of pump is placed all that stuff in pictue. you see one black valve going to clear hose pipe leading out to drain (toilet, shower, garden etc.) , two red valves on each side of the "T" first pme nearest to blue thing ACF( your pump) isolates pump from rest of lines, and the other red valve attached to the green hose in picture is cut off to your filter so that when you want to drain tank with power pump it shuts off filter (or can be half closed to allow some flow through filter)

blue thing= active carbon filter for water changes

black thing= valve for drain to toilet via clear hose ( off when filling or not draining tank)

red things= valves to cut off water to green hose pipe ( off when using pump to drains on for water passage through you pond filter)

also note that you may use the same hose pipe for drain as a filler if you make connection to water suppy ( requres another set of valves)

also there are some some very clever hose fittings for swim pool ,water beds and garder use which auto shut/ block when you disconect to prevent spills

my hoses are 12mm for the indie house aquariums but for your use you might want to consider a larger set up such as 18,20 or even 25 mm. really depends upon how fast you want to get things done and how much room for storage of all the hose is free.

two pictures one of valve in drain setup and the other in fill setup.

P1070733.jpg

P1070732.jpg

CFG,

here is one way to configure a drain system powered by aquarium pump.

Hold on, let me make my boyfriend read this as it is TOTAL giberish to me! :rofl :rofl :rofl

Okey, got it! VERY clever! I will probably do it all in plastic, even tho I did see all these metal pieces like you have the other day at HomeDepot.

I have made this siphon with a piece of big hose and an empty waterbottle with

the botton cut of.

It's not on this picture, but i have also used the net from a net of oranges.

I used cable binders to bind the net to the bottle end, so no fish

can enter and get caught in the siphon.

It is very effective for cleaning and draining water.

Drains 100 liters of water(25 gallon) in about 5 min.

The bigger the hose you use, the faster the water will flow.

The bigger the distance from the siphon sucking end and the siphon

drain end, the faster the water will flow.

(in height, like where suction end is in tank and drain end is in a bucket)

sdegwrr.jpg

Jesper

Edited by Guldklumpen