Very High Nitrites! And Others As Well.

BriansMom

Ammonia- .5

Nitrites- At least 1!

Nitrates- 10

Ok so everything is high but nitrite is very high and wont go down!

Tank set up: October 14 (2 months)

Tank mates: 2 fancies maybe 3 inches with fins

Tank: 50g with aquaclear filter

-Didnt cycle because I had to move them in asap with no choice. But I used all the media from the old one, used the old filter along with the new and old tank water (just so it wasnt too much of a change for them)

-Knew this made it hard on the fish and myself so I did constant water changes and constant testing (at least every other day) and up until lately, parameters were ALWAYS at 0.

2 weeks ago I had cloudy-algae-ish water so I was doing maybe 40% water changes almost daily so I admit I slacked on the tests assuming it was fine since I was changing so much water.

This week, a week after my last water test (which was fine) my results were AWFUL! Ammonia was at 1, nitrites at 1, and Nitrates at 10. WHAT THE HECK!!

Yesterday I did a 50% water change, the day before I did 50%, and the day before I did 25% (I tested after this change)

My ammonia went down to .5 which is better, not good though. My nitrites havent changed AT ALL!

Any suggestions? I'll keep changing the water but is there anything else I can do?

Why so high if I have been changing lots of water? And 2 months in I would assume it was nearly cycled by now.

I admit I was an over feeder until maybe 3 weeks ago, I slowed down.

One fish has been kind of bottom sitting, I catch him doing that in the morning until I put a few pellets in for them. Pretty sure he isnt sleeping but bottom sitting.

It sounds like your tank is in the middle of cycling. You got the little chart here on the top, you see how ammonia is "relatively" low when nitrite starts spiking, while nitrate is still not too bad?

Means you are at the point where the bacteria starts converting ammonia to nitrite, that's why you got a constant nitrite reading.

Aside from the water changes there is nothing you can do right now. You can maybe add nutrafin cycle (contains the needed beneficial bacteria) to support and speed up the cycle.

I'm not sure if you can use prime to keep your fish safe during this part of the cycle though.

I agree, you're still cycling. That cloudy water you had 2 weeks ago is a sign of that as well, a lot of new tanks go through a period of cloudy water before the cycle is fully established.

I would keep doing water changes if I were you, even bigger ones. You can even do 100% if you're up for it.

Do you have gravel in your tank? If so, clean it very, very well, it can make things worse during cycling.

Thanks everyone... I was hoping it was cycling because I wouldnt know what else it would be from! I just thought it would have been cycled by now but I shouldnt be so impatient I guess. Too bad I don't have any LFS around to help out anytime soon. I hope this wont be too hard on my fish:( I also thought since there are only 2 little guys, it wouldnt have gotten as high. So me doing 50% water changes daily won't bring the nitrites down much? I know I should be changing more than 50% but all those dang buckets I have to carry so far and be being so weak makes it hard! I need a sink one to help me pronto!!!!

Back when I just started the fish game, I bought a product randomly that may help that I have never used and dont really know what it is! haha Worth asking I guess...... Obviously I will keep changing water but will this help the process?

http://www.mmm.com/product/111482/Microbe-Lift-Nite-Out-II-Nitrifying-Aquarium-Bacteria.aspx?CoreCat=LN_Shopping_FishSupplies_ConditionersandAdditives

Any idea on when you think my tank will settle down? Or completely cycled?

I know there is a chart but I am at least 60 days in so I can't really follow that....

Shoot, replace the 3 m's in the link to p3tc0

Edited by Thea

With only one fish in your tank that would explain why your cycle isn't completing in a reasonable time.

My recommendations:

1. Daily water testing and necessary water changes to get your nitrites and ammonia level to zero. 50% water changes throughout the week may be needed. The use of Prime will help to neutralize ammonia.

2. As previously suggested purchase Nutrafin Cycle to help push the cycle ahead and establish a strong colony of BB. Add directly to your filter media. Use as much seeded media from another established tank (yours or a friend's)that you can use if possible.

I know it's hard to do manual water changes but if you test your water daily and your levels aren't high enough to stress your fish then work with the Prime and Cycle to help you.

Best of luck in getting it cycled soon! :)

Edited by blackteles

any suggestions? I'll keep changing the water but is there anything else I can do?

One fish has been kind of bottom sitting, I catch him doing that in the morning until I put a few pellets in for them. Pretty sure he isnt sleeping but bottom sitting.

as you stated , you have created toxic conditions for your fish and they are suffering and will continue suffer from it. increase water changes to 100% ( not 2 50% changes ), stop feeding.

lower water temperature too will help, I will bet yours is high.

improve your water change technique but getting a long hose and learn how it becomes eazzzy to change water.

we have all been there and made the mistake of short cut on water quality and then paid for it with the lives of our fish.

Thanks for the help everyone! Blackteles, I do have 2 fish.... So hopefully it ends soon!!!!!

Ill get some nutrafin cycle asap. I don't have a pet store nearby at all so I will have my sister get me some and bring it home during christmas! I do use prime already, should I use more than the recommended dosage for new water? I usually add a couple drops per bucket. I will do a huge change tonight. I am getting a aqueon water changer for christmas so that will help me soooo much. I have been doing 50% changes, maybe more for the past few days and every other day before that. It just spiked over night! I have always been so OVERLY cautious about water because I have had such bad luck with my boys with perfect water that I didnt want to know what would happen with bad water.

I used my old media.... Rocks, decor, and plugged in the old filter for a few weeks when I switched tanks. I don't really have anyone with fish to get more. My bf has a tank with an oscar, does it matter if its a different fish? I'd be nervous I'd bring in something to my tank! My filter has built up "muck." So I'm sure that has BB and maybe at the same time, making my water more toxic, since its probably poo :(

I havent been feeding them much lately to help the situation, but like I said before, I was overfeeding for awhile so I wasn't sure if that shows in water quality later on?

My water temp is 74, what do you suggest I bring it down to?

It was so weird when I tested because it was the first time I had seen the Nitrite a different color other than blue! And nitrates as well.

The water changer will be a big help!

I keep my water temp at 72-73 degrees. Having 2 fish does help the situation, I thought you only had 1. I only add extra Prime when the ammonia level is higher than .5 to avoid stressing the fish. However daily testing and water changes to minimize the ammonia and nitrites would be your best bet. I'm not too keen on the use of the Stability...I'm wondering if it may have a detrimental effect on your BB. In my experience using Prime and Cycle would be your best bet. :testkit:

"My water temp is 74, what do you suggest I bring it down to?"

your temp is fine but lower is OK too room temp . mine are at 18-20. 66-70?F goldfish do just fine in cooler water.