Question About Plants And Natural Daylight

xchairity_casex

i recently bought a 10 gallon long tank its very intresting becuase its very long and thin i was thinking about turning it into a shrimp tank adding about 5 cherry shrimp and some live plants but the tank didnt coem with a top or a light fixture and i was wondering if i could put the tank close to a window that gets about 4 hours of direct daylight per day 9i time it becuase i have bamboo plants i always move in and out of the sun) i know your not suposed to keep tanks in windows due to the drafts or over heating. but the windows have are not drafty but would 3 hours of sunlight be too much do you think wihtout a heater in the tank? and would live plants do ok?

i recently bought a 10 gallon long tank its very intresting becuase its very long and thin i was thinking about turning it into a shrimp tank adding about 5 cherry shrimp and some live plants but the tank didnt coem with a top or a light fixture and i was wondering if i could put the tank close to a window that gets about 4 hours of direct daylight per day 9i time it becuase i have bamboo plants i always move in and out of the sun) i know your not suposed to keep tanks in windows due to the drafts or over heating. but the windows have are not drafty but would 3 hours of sunlight be too much do you think wihtout a heater in the tank? and would live plants do ok?

My concern would be in the summer months would it over heat?I currently have my 20L tank in front of the window with my sick tropicals and the temp is stable for now and i plan on planting it heavily as well ...but am concerned about it overheating in the summer months??So I would also like to see the responses on this subject :) I do know a few Goldfish owners here have their tanks in front of windows and sunlight is good for goldfish as far as keeping their coloring i think :)

I might be worried about overheating too, esp if it's a smaller tank in a south facing window. Then again, sunlight is great for fish and plants. I had a tub of anacharis out for the summer and it grew greener and faster than I had ever seen... I hear that goldfish's color looks better when they are exposed to sunlight but I've never tried it.

My goldie tank gets a little direct sunlight on one side. It never really affects the temp, even during the summer. I have read online that you can put it in front of the window for direct lighting, if it's planted heavily it should be ok. I would keep an eye on it, just in case.

Edited by j-pond