Goldfish Swimming Back And Forth

tseeko

Hey everyone!

This has been puzzling me for a few days now..

Recently I came back from school for the holidays, and I brought my 1 year and 4 month common goldfish home with my red oranda. I originally had both of them in a 20 gallon tank but it would have been very difficult for me to transport it. Instead of bringing home the 20 gallon tank I purchased a 10 gallon for the common and I had a 3 gallon laying around that I wanted to use to treat the red oranda because her fins were getting attacked. Since I've came back the red oranda has normal behavior but my common is swimming back and forth in the back of his tank. Occasionally he stops to check to see if there is food, or he'll change his path and swim back and forth on the side. He isn't scratching against anything or is he gasping. He has a normal appetite and I feed him once a day..

Does anyone have ANY idea why he might be doing this?

Thank you to anyone who can help!

Well if he went from a 20 gallon to a 10 gallon, it could be that he's upset with the downsize. Generally people recommend 50+ gallons for commons here I think, they need a lot of space. They swim fast and need to spread their wings, I'd imagine he'd be stunted quite a bit in 10 gallons. If it's a new tank, it could be ammonia levels rising upsetting him, too.

Also, 3 gallons seems awfully small for a fancy, around here they recommend 20 for the first fancy.

Edited by enesta

He's probably stressed from the move, the smaller tank and probably a change in water quality due to the size of the tank. 10 gallons is much too small for a common, and 3 gallons is much too small for a fancy. I would suggest getting a bigger tank for them. If that's out of your price range, I know several members here always suggest using a large plastic storage bin, like a rubbermaid bin or something.

Thank you all for the quick responses!

I understand that both of the fish aren't in a properly sized tank. I've been told over and over how they should be in humongous tanks, which I can't deal with at the moment because I have absolutely no where to put the tank. Also, with the fancy, I have her in the 3 gallon because I wanted to treat her fins (http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/87883-disappearing-goldfish-fins/page__p__1003004__fromsearch__1#entry1003004).

Anyways, about the common, will he be alright? I had pebbles and a decoration in the other tank before I transferred them. At the current moment it's just a bare tank. Would adding pebbles and a decoration distract him? Is his reflection making him act this way?

This is only a TEMPORARY fix for now till I move back to my apartment.

Thank you!

He is acting this way because of the small tank. I understand that this situation is temporary because of the holidays. :) He should be fine but you will need to really keep any eye on his water quality. How big is your common? I have mine in a 15 gallon tank and he needs a 50% wc every couple of days.

If he is used to having decorations you might want to add a few pebbles in his tank, mine goes nuts if I have him in a bare tank. :D Just make sure not to put in a decoration that would remove even more swimming space for him.

Another quick question do you have any airstones or bubblers in his tank? In a smaller tank he needs lots of dissolved oxygen.

He could be bored if there's absolutely nothing in there and he's all alone. I would add some decoration. I'd think he'd be fine temporarily if you keep up on water changes and make sure water parameters are good. It usually isn't in the cards for people to have giant tanks for common goldfish, which is why if you really want it to have a long happy life, it's best to find a pond for it and stick to fancies in my opinion.

@caitie:

Thank you! From nose to end of his tail approximately 2.5 inches. I established the 10 gallon on Saturday. I have a Aqua-Tech 5-15 gallon filter running 24 hours a day, so oxygen isn't a problem. In the 3 gallon tank I have a filter running 24 hours. The tank is a 3 gallon Marineland with a built-in filter. I have the water about a half inch from the return so it splashes into the tank. I'm not a newbie when it comes to fish. I've been a goldfish owner for about a year and a half now. I definitely have a really good understanding of what I'm doing! I did a test strip yesterday for the common and his water was perfect still. I was going to wait till Saturday to do a water change but I might do it this afternoon. I appreciate your help!

@enesta:

I completely agree with you about sticking to fancy goldfish. I have a black moor setup in another tank that my girlfriend currently has. I made the mistake a year and a half ago on my birthday to get goldfish without doing research before hand. I was listening to the fish guy at nooppee (a big no no because they have no idea what they're talking about). I originally had 5 goldfish (wow!) in a 1.5 gallon tank. They all started attacking one another, some got finrot and died, I upgraded to a 5 gallon 2 weeks later, but they died except the common and the black moor, which I separated the black moor from the other fish because he was getting chased and stressed out (I favored him the most so I didn't want to see anything happen to him). Once the common gets a little bigger I'm either going to have to consider getting a large tank for him or otherwise releasing him into a pond.. I'm having a hard time letting go of him because he became my buddy lol.

I can understand your attachment. :) I started out with two commons and 1 comet in a 3 gallon tank. Kept them in there 6 months before I finally clued in. :blink: Only my common survived the move to the 15 gallon tank and he has been in there for 3 1/2 years now. :D He has stopped growing at about 3 - 3 1/2 inches because he was so stunted by his first 6 months in my 3 gallon tank, that's why I can keep him otherwise he would have to go into a pond. :(

Edited by caitie