Possible Tank Upgrade

My filter is the Eheim Canister Filter 2213 - from what I read it can handle up to 55 gallons.... would that be able to handle a new 55 gallon tank with 3-4 fancy goldfish? I plan to have mostly 3 incher's but with one 5.5inches. I know goldies have a lot of waste output.... I wonder if I will have to get a new canister filter......

Also, would I use some of the water from my 30 gallon tank or just all fresh water (obviously keeping the 30gal water in the canister because that is where all the bacteria is).

Reason why I am posting this, is that I have an opportunity for a really nice, brand new decent 55 gallon with a wooden stand (just like my 30 gal) but I need to order it and pay for it by the 19th. So I need to make my decision with haste. The largest tank I have ever owned is a 30 gal so I am a little out of my realm here. I also currently have a 3 inch oranda and how does he fit in this whole mix?

As always, all advice welcomed, you guys are awesome!

We according to a site, the canister only does 116 gallons per hour so you would need 384 more gallons per hour of filtration. I've heard that with canisters the 10X rule isn't as strict but I don't know for sure.

I would just use the media in the canister when you switch over the tanks. Don't use the tank water, it doesn't contain enough bb to be helpful but does have ammonia.

I have no idea what other media to use other than what is in there... so then you are saying that the canister I have isn't good enough for a 55 gallon?

Thanks!

All she meant was you would keep the media that's in there, but not the water. I would think you would need more filtration on a 55g. I think the ratings on filters are usually based on tropical fish that aren't as messy as goldfish.

I have no idea what other media to use other than what is in there... so then you are saying that the canister I have isn't good enough for a 55 gallon?

Thanks!

All she meant was you would keep the media that's in there, but not the water. I would think you would need more filtration on a 55g. I think the ratings on filters are usually based on tropical fish that aren't as messy as goldfish.

Exactly, so I would need a filter for more gallons. I really like the filter I have now so I will have to upgrade to the next filter - similar to the one I have now?

Or you can just get another one and run two filters. I have thtree right now. It's nice that way because you can rotate cleanings and its unlikely they will all fail at once.

I believe you, but I'd really rather have just one. So much hanging off the tank, double the noise... and well... it sounds like due to dirty fish.... I will need to upgrade the filter too :/

I have a couple of Eheims. But yours is quite small in size for a 55. You could look into the Eheim Ecco or the Eheim Pro. Try and find one that does at least 400Gallons/hr. I have the Eheim Pro3 that does 400liter/h and I think this is the biggest one they make.

I know it does not look very pretty, but having two filters really is a big advantage, I don't have canister, but HOB filters and I feel safer to know that if one of them quits working for whatever reason, the second one will still take care of the water. Especially when I know that I'm not going to be home for a while :)

Your 3 inch Oranda will be completely fine when moving to the bigger tank. Just make sure that the temperature and pH in both tanks is matched before you add him to the big tank! With good water changes and lots of good food s/he will grow quickly, you will be surprised and amazed :) And then there is enough room for some friends in there, four or five all together should be fine if you keep doing 50% weekly water changes minimum. Of course, the fewer the better unless you want to throw in extra water changes. Like I am overstocked by 2 fish, but I compensate by doing TWO weekly water changes of 75% - 85% and bi-weekly water testings.

Also, I don't know how you do it with your 30g, make sure you have an easy way to drain and refill the tank water. 55g in buckets is a big pain in the rear end.

What else... yeah, when you set up the tank make sure it will be sitting on an evensurface. If the tank is tilted to one side or front/back (even slightly, like it is not going t move but you can see the water line is quite uneven) the uneven water pressure can affect the integrity of the tank. You can balance an uneven floor out by having a sheet of styrofoam between the stand and the tank. Gravity will distribute the tank's weigt evenly on the styrofoam sheet and the tank will be sitting correctly.

If you are getting a used tank make sure you clean it very good. Especially if it was still running or filled with water when you get it as it can have nasties in there. Most people use a bleach solution to disinfect or potassium pergamate, but I usually use vinegar and salt as I am super paranoid about chemical residue >.<

If the tank was not in use for a while and all dry, then most likey any nasties in it are dead/dried out. Still a good scrubbing with vinegar and salt won't hurt :)

Umm... I can't think of anything else right now. :angelstaf:

EDIT: Wow, I should have proof read this before posting. So many typos. Sorry, I didn't have my morning coffee yet :read

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I am one of those that thinks you can get away with less if you use a canister because it carries a lot more media then your HOB's do but still like my HOB best.

I have one filter on my 55 but it really only holds 43 gallons and for the last several months I have been running it with a rana xp3 that does 350 gph.

Even with a canster you still need to try to get 5xgph with it. Which means I am still getting over that. And really close to the 10xgph people recomend here. IF you take into account my tank only holds 43 gallons. (I think it was miss labled and is really only sold as a 50 gallon tank.) To lazy to do the math. lol

So that being said your little canister still won't be enough. So I would go for the one that does 400 since you only want one. If and when I need to buy a new one that is my plan. (or better yet go back to two HOB's on my 55 I too love the idea of one breaks still have one that works.)

• Admin

I personally like having two filters on my 50 gal tank, this way i can clean one and let the other alone to keep the bb's going. Also if one happens to die on me I still have another one running till I can get another one. :)

• Supporter

I have two Marineland C360 canister filters on my 65 gallon and i get a little over 10x filtration. These things are great and were less expensive than the Eheims. I also like having two canisters :) I can clean one at a time without having to worry about the bbs.

That said, I hope you don't mind me asking a question........

I am one of those that thinks you can get away with less if you use a canister because it carries a lot more media then your HOB's do but still like my HOB best.

I have one filter on my 55 but it really only holds 43 gallons and for the last several months I have been running it with a rana xp3 that does 350 gph.

Even with a canster you still need to try to get 5xgph with it. Which means I am still getting over that. And really close to the 10xgph people recomend here. IF you take into account my tank only holds 43 gallons. (I think it was miss labled and is really only sold as a 50 gallon tank.) To lazy to do the math. lol

So that being said your little canister still won't be enough. So I would go for the one that does 400 since you only want one. If and when I need to buy a new one that is my plan. (or better yet go back to two HOB's on my 55 I too love the idea of one breaks still have one that works.)

Hidr, I have been wondering about this. My two canisters push a lot of water out and the current is a bit strong and has a tenancy to push the goldies around a bit. I tried replacing the returns with spray bars and it has helped somewhat, but there is still quite a bit of current. With your description above, one of my canisters would slightly exceed the 5x filtration requirements (65 gallon tank but when i plug in the dimensions, it indiates that it actually holds 67. The C360 canister pushes 360 gallons per hour). In your opinion, would running one canister be sufficient so long as I am understocked and maintaining weekly water changes of at least 50%? Just wondering.

Oh, and sorry for potentially hijacking your topic.... eek!

amoonklein! Not at all! I was about to ask something similar! My goldies never liked the current and always stayed to the other side of the tank. I currently have this filter - http://www.amazon.com/Eheim-Canister-Filter-Classic-Plus/dp/B0002AQXTA

And with upgrading to the 55gal, one of those isn't enough - even though it says up to 55gal... this is goldfish we are talkin here :)

So my options are to get two 2213, or upgrade to the 2215 --> http://www.amazon.com/Eheim-Classic-External-Canister-Filter/dp/B001EUJLNW

From what I heard from two separate people, getting two 2213's seem to be the best option. The current isn't super strong but what if it looks like it bothers them?

I have two Marineland C360 canister filters on my 65 gallon and i get a little over 10x filtration. These things are great and were less expensive than the Eheims. I also like having two canisters :) I can clean one at a time without having to worry about the bbs.

bbs? Also, I stick with Eheim because they are quieter and I have a connection that can get me them for a deal ;) shhhhh!

• Supporter
amoonklein! Not at all! I was about to ask something similar! My goldies never liked the current and always stayed to the other side of the tank. I currently have this filter - http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B0002AQXTA

And with upgrading to the 55gal, one of those isn't enough - even though it says up to 55gal... this is goldfish we are talkin here :)

So my options are to get two 2213, or upgrade to the 2215 --> http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B001EUJLNW

From what I heard from two separate people, getting two 2213's seem to be the best option. The current isn't super strong but what if it looks like it bothers them?

You may find that you like having two canisters in the long run :)

Do Eheims have a spray bar return? If they don't and you find that the current from two filters bother them, you could always try fitting spray bars onto the return tubing. I found that helped a lot with the current. I also pointed the spray bars towards the surface, I got more surface agitation too, which was nice.

bbs? Also, I stick with Eheim because they are quieter and I have a connection that can get me them for a deal ;) shhhhh!

bb is short for benificial bacteria. Very cool that you get a nice deal on equipment :)

Edited by amoonklein

• Admin

See you need good filtration the more closer to 10X an hour the better. As for the current as long as there is a part in the tank where they can sit and rest its fine to have good current.

See you need good filtration the more closer to 10X an hour the better. As for the current as long as there is a part in the tank where they can sit and rest its fine to have good current.

Thanks koko, and everyone else too, seems like two 2213's for me is the way to go! Thanks!!!!

Lookin at tanks tomorrow! Squeeeeeeeeeee!

I have a couple of Eheims. But yours is quite small in size for a 55. You could look into the Eheim Ecco or the Eheim Pro. Try and find one that does at least 400Gallons/hr. I have the Eheim Pro3 that does 400liter/h and I think this is the biggest one they make.

Crap I missed this post from before - I am just about out the door, you think having two Eheim 2213's is enough? From what I read I should have two rather than one big one...

Also, I don't know how you do it with your 30g, make sure you have an easy way to drain and refill the tank water. 55g in buckets is a big pain in the rear end.

It's just buckets for me, annoying but at least I am getting a workout during water changes ;) The real annoying part will be DUMPING the 30 gal and then FILLING the 55 gal. Boy gonna be a huge pain in the arse! lol

Crap I missed this post from before - I am just about out the door, you think having two Eheim 2213's is enough? From what I read I should have two rather than one big one...

Personally I would add a bigger one. Like an Eheim3 or I have also heard good reviews on Rena canisters.

Big Update: Purchased the 55 gallon tank and stand! Working out the details on the hood. I plan on having the tank in a diff spot so it won't be getting direct sunlight. So I am thinking glass hood rather than plastic and two light for freshwater - that help grow plants. I was assured they were good lights and a better spectrum I just do not recall brand. The glass hoods seemed to look a little nicer.

Problem: Filters. So this one - http://www.amazon.com/EHEIM-PRO-3-FILTER-2075/dp/B0027J94EU - Eheim Pro 3, 330 gph... I asked the shop to order it for me vs using two filters (my 2213 and a a new 2215) but that combined is only 280gph. Anywho, the shop looked at me and acted like I was *INSANE* for wanting the Eheim Pro 3 for the 55gal tank I wanted. They also argued with me with the fact that I was buying a Nitrate tester. I understood their points (not really harming the fish per say) but I wasn't feeling like arguing about Goldfish when half of their goldfish there were all floaty.

I want to not spend a so much $$$ (already down $300 due to the 30 gal that I will not need to sell). I do understand that HOB's are better here but I am set on canister, quietness is too important to me in my small little apt ;)

(((Also is the Eheim Pro 3 quiet? I can hardly hear the 2213, barely a hum)))

Thank you SO much for your help everyone. Thanks to you all I am finally getting this down right.

The Pro3s are really good. I have the biggest of all (4of them) and they are really great, and they already come packed with filter media :) I don't hear them at all.

Otherwise the Renas are cheaper, but I have never had one.

Congrats on the tank btw!!!