How Many Gallons Per Fish?

Calluna

Without a filter, food, water changes- basically, a self sustaining environment for one goldfish. How many gallons do you think a single goldfish need to have enough space to grow whatever it takes to feed it, cycle its waste and oxygenate the water with wind/surface area alone?

A self sustaining environment for goldfish? That is quite impossible without the help of its owner IMO. There is no way you can accomplish that, not in an enclosed ecosystem particularly tanks.

LOL, that's why I said hypothetically. I know there's no way of keeping a self sustaining goldfish tank- there's no sun, rain, the water would just evaporate and that would be one sad goldfish. I meant in a pond or lake, how many gallons would a goldfish need to sustain itself?

LOL, that's why I said hypothetically. I know there's no way of keeping a self sustaining goldfish tank- there's no sun, rain, the water would just evaporate and that would be one sad goldfish. I meant in a pond or lake, how many gallons would a goldfish need to sustain itself?

Surely, a lake equates thousands of gallons water volume. A pond...You can try 200g just enough to dilute the wastes effectively and still allow the sunlight to penetrate and produce the much needed algal growth for their development however should water be replaced to further dilute wastes, you'll need automatic water change system to accomplish that if you still call it a self sustaining environment for the fish.;)

Maybe a useful thing to keep in mind is that the original wild ancestors of goldfish lived in streams, which is fact do have/are an automatic water change system :). Given that tropicals, which typical live in more stagnant water, have evolved to have very low ammonia outputs suggests that may be the only way to overcome this problem.