Veggies Not To Give?

nicoleauryn

So, I have given my goldfish peas, cucumber, romaine lettuce, zucchini... I have heard spinach and kale is good if blanched (then what, throw it in, rip up, veggie clip?)

I want to know, for further reference and so that Boyfriend doesn't do something stupid like throwing whole radishes in the tank or something (lol), is there anything that goldfish *should not* have at all?

Thanks!

I sprinkle my spinach/kale with a few drops of water (or don't dry it off after washing), spreading the leaves out on a plate and microwave it for a few seconds until it is soft, and then just put them in a veggie clip.

Not sure about what not to give, but I heard and experienced that broccoli makes them gassy/floaty. Mine completely ignore carrots, no matter how soft they are. Not sure what NOT to give them though :unsure:

I sprinkle my spinach/kale with a few drops of water (or don't dry it off after washing), spreading the leaves out on a plate and microwave it for a few seconds until it is soft, and then just put them in a veggie clip.

Not sure about what not to give, but I heard and experienced that broccoli makes them gassy/floaty. Mine completely ignore carrots, no matter how soft they are. Not sure what NOT to give them though :unsure:

I was mainly curious to hear if anything fruit/veg wise could be potentially toxic to goldies. Thanks!

As far as I know, there aren't any veggies that people can eat but goldfish can't, in moderate quantities. I wouldn't give them anything cooked with other ingredients, though, like stir fried veggies.

ETA: Woah! you've made more posts in 2 days than I have in 2 months!

Edited by Calluna

ETA: Woah! you've made more posts in 2 days than I have in 2 months!

I noticed that too, I get carried away - I used to be a mod for the Guitar Hero forums as a actual job once so I went into job mode haha. Gonna slow down. Actually, Ive had two people say thank you to two separate posts because they were wondering the same thing :D

:) Here you go What to Feed

Most of this stuff is actually in pinned topics if you search around. Hope this helps :)

Thanks, however the main point of this post was to find out if there is anything *bad bad bad* to give goldies :) I'll search in there to see if anything like that is mentioned tho :)

I doubt there is something that really is poisonous for them. I just googled it.

But there are things that aren't so great for them like corn, rice and potatoes as they are high in starch.

Other than that I really don't find anything.

I doubt there is something that really is poisonous for them. I just googled it.

But there are things that aren't so great for them like corn, rice and potatoes as they are high in starch.

Other than that I really don't find anything.

Gotcha, good to know. Thanks!

I actually found online that you CAN feed them beans. Never tried it though. And yes, broccoli makes my fish a bit gassy too.

One thing they LOVE is garlic. Sprinkling some garlic powder on the veggie before I microwave and soften it makes the fish go twice as crazy for the food. I even tried this with carrots, because my fish don't like them. So I stuck little slivers of fresh garlic into the carrot.

The fish pulled out all the garlic and ate it, but ignored the carrot :rolleyes:

If you ever make gel food for them, try adding one or two crushed garlic cloves or a teaspoon garlic powder. That will make them go nuts.

Fluffy doesn't like carrots, either...I'll have to try the garlic thing.

So far he likes zuccini and peas the best.

My fish love broccoli the most. It doesn't seem to make them gassy though, even my kenny who can go belly up sometimes. They also love squash. But I poke all the seeds out so that it doesn't make a mess in the tank.

I can give you one tip on what not to give , first hand experience.

this cost me a beautiful redcap oranda to learn too:

Do not give them Gorgonzola cheese. this also applys to danish blue cheese and rockfort blue too i assume.

Death next day and they are a little bloated. the cheese must form gas as i opened fish and noted such.

I can give you one tip on what not to give , first hand experience.

this cost me a beautiful redcap oranda to learn too:

Do not give them Gorgonzola cheese. this also applys to danish blue cheese and rockfort blue too i assume.

Death next day and they are a little bloated. the cheese must form gas as i opened fish and noted such.

Why would you feed a goldfish any kind of cheese in the first place? :blink:

Ok I killed a fish with sugary candy, but I was like at the most 10 years old back then.

there are many many things which can be given to fish and promote good health, growth etc.

I am always experimenting with various foods stuffs. When i tell what works or does not work it is from my experience first hand.

the cheese was a BIG sad mistake but please note that milk is given to first born fry baby with good results. also other milk products . and there is of course much more. now i am having a grand problem with new bays fish hatching andmy brine shrimps are not hatching so good.

yes your are right to be feeling bad. I too do not enjoy when I loose fish due to a stupid mistake. That is the beauty of a forum like this koko as all can express waht they have learned and others may benfit from those who hard earned lessons.

Thanks to this forum, I have been giving my goldie wilted spinach. I think he died and went to heaven, he LOVES it. Turns into a rapture! Trashing and nibbling and thrashing some more trying to rip off chunks. I should get video of it, it is hilarious. Will try the garlic thing! I wonder if he would like it if I rubbed a fresh cut clove of garlic on the spinach.

LOL tried spinach with garlic powder. The powder spread all over the tank but my oranda seemed to love it and just chomping at every little bit! I was a little nervous of him breathing it in but all seems to be ok. Ill try a rub with a fresh clove next time :)