Sign in to follow this  
Sakura

New Otos!

I've been thinking about getting some of these for at least six months! I just got four tonight as I was at the LFS getting some plants for my hubby's betta tank for a christmas present (sshhhh, don't tell!). I wanted six of them, but they only had four, so maybe I'll get more later. I put the otos in the tank with Tobi, and he's totally ignoring them, which is great. I was a little nervous he might go after them, but he acts like they aren't even there.

I'm so excited to watch these guys! As you can see there's plenty of algae in there for them right now. :rofl I really hope they don't get stressed from the change of scenery and die on me now. I know they can be really sensitive. I asked, and the guy at the LFS said they had these for two months now, so they should be fairly hardy. :D

i010.jpg

i011.jpg

i012.jpg

i013-1.jpg

i014-1.jpg

Can you spot the oto?

i015-1.jpg

Tobi- he moves so much so his photos are always blurry! I thought this one was kinda pretty though.

So cute!!!!

That is a gorgeous photo of your beta!

They are really cute. :) I always wanted to get some when I had a tropical tank running.

Those are really cute. Never seen these kind of fish before. How big do they get?

Those are really cute. Never seen these kind of fish before. How big do they get?

They are really tiny. I'm pretty sure they're full size right now, and they're only about an inch and a quarter. :)

ONG... I love that first photo! They are so so cute! I love their big eyes! :)

Great photos and good luck keeping those guys alive.

Aww :) They are adorable Sakura :) Congrats on the new addition :) I have never seen them available in my area :(

Are they hard to keep?

Very nice, Sakura! Cool looking little guys! ;)

Are they hard to keep?

Yes a little :(

They are notoriously hard to acclimate. I bought 2 of them about 2 years ago, 1 lived. He is still alive, but since then I've bought 4 more (not all at once) and none of them made it. I thought the last 2 would but they died after I moved, presumably just do to the disturbance.

The good news though is it seems that once you have one healthy and happy, he will live for a long time :)

I have tried over and over to keep some but mine never live more then a few weeks. They are very very picky about water conditions. But if you can ever get it right they do well in groups of five or more.

Ahh, don't scare me guys! lol

They seem to be doing really well so far. I've seen them all sucked onto the glass in different places all day long, and sometimes I see them swim around too. Right now two of them are swimming around together :) They look like little torpedos or something when they swim around.

I haven't really seen them eating at all yet though. Even though they're sucked onto the glass, they're not moving their mouths around like they should be if they were eating. I'm worried I don't have the right kind of algae for them, because this tank has hair algae. It's shorter and covering the tank walls in some places though, so it seems like they'd be able to eat it if they wanted to.

I guess I'll try algae wafers or zucchini if they're still not eating in a couple days, but I worry they wouldn't find it and it would just sit and rot in the tank. :o

I've kept them before with no problems. Most otocinclus are wild-caught by electrofishing, so they come into stores weak and stressed. If they've been in the petstore that long I'm sure they are fine. They are voracious eaters and you can tell they are happy and healthy because their little bellies will distend slightly haha.

They are the best algae eaters in my opinion good luck with them :)

Those of you who are interested in them, here's a good web page to read up: http://www.otocinclus.com/

I guess I'll try algae wafers or zucchini if they're still not eating in a couple days, but I worry they wouldn't find it and it would just sit and rot in the tank. :o

In my experience, they LOVE algae wafers :)

Oh no! I just noticed one of my otos is laying upside-down and breathing heavy :( I don't think he's going to make it :cry1 I feel so bad.

Try a big piece of zucchini on a veggie clip. They can't miss THAT. Especially when it is attached to the walls. Sure they won't finish it up within two days, but then just remove what's left.

I read too that otos are very sensitive. We were considering a couple for mother in law's betta tank, and I read up on them and see that they are a pain when it comes to changes in water conditions. I know that she won't be able to take care of it well enough for the otos.

Oh no! I just noticed one of my otos is laying upside-down and breathing heavy :( I don't think he's going to make it :cry1 I feel so bad.

Don't feel bad. Like has been said they are very hard to keep.

In my experience, they LOVE algae wafers :)

Mine too, I feed mine a wafer every other day. The cories help him with it of course...

Don't feel bad. Like has been said they are very hard to keep.

Exactly. As I said, I've only been able to keep 1 alive. I feel bad for him not having a school, but nobody else has made it :(

So that poor oto died overnight. :( I brought him back to the store, and they gave me a credit. I promptly turned around and bought a borneo sucker (hillstream loach) and an albino longfin bristlenose pleco! The loach is only about one inch right now- tiny, he fits right in with the otos! And the pleco is about three inches if you include its nice long tail fin! The pleco is just gorgeous! I'll try to get some photos of them tonight.

Tobi completely leaves the new fish alone, but ever since I added fish to the tank he's been strutting around flaring at nothing in particular! I think having other fish around just makes his natural behavior to stake out his territory more prominent. That is my theory anyway :yeah:

And it probably is nice to look at and maybe nice for Tobi too, to have something interesting going on in his tank.