Goodbye Sweet Miss Molly

caitie

mollies011.jpg

Yesterday while I was doing a wc in my reef tank Miss Molly got spooked and she dove down into the rocks. I'm not sure if she got stung by a coral or if she hit herself on the rocks and broke her spine, but when she came out she couldn't control her swimming. :( She was sinking, sometimes she would manage to swim but then she would do spirals in the tank. I quickly got her into my qt tank so that she wouldn't hurt herself. She starting having what looked like seizures where she would just have what looked like tremors and all her little fins were stretched out and then she would sink to the bottom either on her back or her side. After a few of these attacks she seemed to be paralysed because she could only move her little fins not her body. All this happened very quickly it was over in about 1/2 hour. :cry1

I really miss her, she was so tiny but she had a big attitude. She was the big boss in the tank, controlling the 3 sailfin mollies even though they were so much bigger than her.

:rip: my lovely little lady.

Thanks for your kind words everybody. I am grateful that it went quickly, I was thinking I would have to use the clove oil but sweetie that she was she took things into her own little fins. :heart

I'll have to try and rearrange the rocks near the back of the tank so that they have enough space back there, I would hate for it to happen again.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your molly... cute little thing she was... :( Poor Miss Molly, glad it was over quickly for her and you... -consoles- :hug

Thank you EGJ. :)

I just thought I'd update you on what I have discovered. While moving the rocks in the back of the tank I discovered I had some fairly large Pseudocorynactis. They are very pretty and they look like little anemones. Mine are pink and I have a lot of them in my tanks. I thought they were reef safe but I was wrong. When I posted on a saltwater forum about my little molly someone mentioned that it sounded like neurotoxins. So we ran through the list of all the critters in my tank and the only one that could be guilty of having such a strong nematocyst sting was the pretty small anemones. Sure enough the ones I found in the back of the tank were larger than the ones in the front of the tank. Now I just have to decide what to do about them, usually fish know enough to stay far from anything that looks like an anemone. So I hope poor Miss Molly just got stung because she panicked and dove down there. Hopefully the others will stay away. :undecided: