Another Cycle

Guest Mike and Linda

Guest Mike and Linda

I have 3 AC's 6 bags of ceranic rings, 1 sponge filter 80 gal, 1 sponge filter 40 gas, I have 25 river rocks and I still am going through another cycle again. I have had ammonia now for 3 weeks straight. I have done 10 water changes this month so far it lowers the ammonia but it keeps going up. I try and keep it at .25 or less.

Everytime I even look at my pumps I go through a cycle. My tank is over a year and I have been through many cycles since I bought this 40 breeder. How do you keep the ammonia out of the tank.

How many fish are in the 80 gallon and how much are you feeding? Sometimes overfeeding can make more ammonia come or have a cycle crash. Were your filters off at any point in time?

Guest Mike and Linda

I have a 44 gal and 4 small fish. My sponge filter is good for up to 80 gal. I feed my fish individually so no food is ever left in my tank. My filters were no off except for WC.

That is definitely very strange :idont Perhaps the goldfish aren't producing enough wastes and the bbs die off? Any poo under the rocks? I had that problem once.

Edited by Haruka

Guest Mike and Linda

That is what I am wondering if maybe they are not pooping enough. They are not messy like people say they should be. I was wondering if maybe I have to much filtration for the amount of poop that they produce. My fish don't seem to be growing like other peoples fish. I feed them 2 times a day about 3 small pieces each at each meal.

My ammonia is stable now at .25. Can I leave it at that point till the filters pick up? Can I remove 1 filter and just leave the filtration at 400 gph instead of 550 gph?

Okay, I'll just throw in everything that comes to my mind that can cause this:

How long are the filters off during the water change? Have you used any medications? Or salt with iodine? You do add dechlorinator when you refill the tank? You rinse the filter media in tank water or tap water?

Did you try boosting your BB with nutrafin cycle? That stuff really helps!!

What food are you feeding them? And how big are the fish? Maybe they really do need more food?

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Guest Mike and Linda

The filters would be off for about 30 min. No meds or salt. I use prime and I leave my water sit between WC. I do not rinse the media. I only bange the sponges but do not rinse them.

I feed mostly gel. I do feed shrimp, blood worms, zuchinni, kale, peas once a week

My fish are about 2 to 3 inches.

I am afraid to rinse anything in my tank. Before the ammonis started my tank was so cloudy that you could hardly see the fish. Now the tank is clear.

Can I leave the ammonia at .25 and see where it goes or should I keep doing WC.

I would not let it go higher than .25, and you could also try starting to feed the fish a little more. Since they are small, they still need to grow. So up the amount of food a bit! It would be great to add some pellets in there too as they provide exactly what the fish need. I like feeding a variety of pellets, gel food, veggies and blood worms to mine too and it really gets them to grow a lot.

Guest Mike and Linda

i did up the food tonight. I fed what they could eat in 7 min. I make sure that they eat everything. What would be the best brand of pellets to buy. My fish have never had pellets before. I was afraid of floaty issues.

When I do a WC should I vaccum all the poop or leave some. i have a bare bottom tank.

Mike, I have AC's too. And I noticed that my cycle finally started to move forward when I extended my intakes all the way to the bottom of the tank. I think this helped suck up the waste more efficiently for one thing. But also it allowed me to leave them running during water changes, which I think helped since AC's dump all the water into the tank when you unplug them. I didn't like them sitting there empty during water changes. It was within days of extending the intakes and leaving them running during water changes that I saw traces of nitrite and within a few more days my ammonia started dropping instead of climbing.

Guest Mike and Linda

I have my intake tubes all the way to the bottom except for my AC 30 which is above my heater. I will try and leave the pumps on during my next WC. I am feeding more now.

I did notice that when I use to turn off the pumps that when I turned them back on that a bunch of gunk would come back into the tank.

I will need to know what would be the best pellet to give my goldies since they never had pellets before.

I have my intake tubes all the way to the bottom except for my AC 30 which is above my heater. I will try and leave the pumps on during my next WC. I am feeding more now.

I did notice that when I use to turn off the pumps that when I turned them back on that a bunch of gunk would come back into the tank.

I will need to know what would be the best pellet to give my goldies since they never had pellets before.

I would give them omega one pellets (Small) Small pellets are great for their digestion. Or you can try progold. I would recommend Saki Hikari purple bag but it's a color enhancer. (It messed up my red and white fish). In some fish it creates a 'blending' which causes the fish to tint yellow or orange on its white spots. However most hikari foos are great like Hikari lionhead.

thank you just wondering , are they really good filters.

Yes they are excellent :)

I feed hikari oranda gold pellets because they are available locally. They are floating pellets but if you soak them and squish them a little they sink. A lot of people on here will recommend saki hikari or hikari lionhead or progold. I think some feed omega one. Pellets will not contribute to floating unless they float and the fish take in air trying to get them off the surface. Or a specific fish is sensitive to something. So any good pellet that sinks. Soaking first is always good.

Edited by flutterbudget

are you showing nitrates yet?

About the water changes - are you sure you are refilling with perfectly temp and pH matched water?

Guest Mike and Linda

Temp and PH are good when I do the WC. My temp might be off by 1 degree. PH is very close to my tank maybe .2 off. I have had Nitrates all the way through. You can't do anything in my tank without a cycle. People say goldfish are messy fish but I do not see any poop in my tank and I feed them well.