Gravel In Planted Tanks

number20121

In my tank, i usually do just the large areas between the plants. I have two vacs, one with a large head about 3" oval, the other is about 1"circle. I can get pretty close to the plants without disturbing them. They recommend ( I have read it alot ) in a planted tank 3" of substrate, so with this depth you can actually push the vac down about an 1" to get a good cleaning.

Hope this helps.

i too wondered this as when i use the syphon near the plants ,it seems to disturb the plant and a load of leaves come off.

also im sure the fish is uprooting them and nibbling on them lol

A lot of planted tanks aren't suitable with goldfish anyway, they dig the plants up or eat them. I have a planted goldie tank, but only with lots of java ferns and anubias, and both of those don't need their roots planted in substrate, you just tie them on pebbles or driftwood, so my planted tank is completely barebottom, easy to clean and I can move the plants around as much as I like without messing up their root systems just by moving the pebbles they're tied to.

My six gallon has 1.5 inches of soil and 1.5 of gravel(total 3 inches) I never vacuum it. My 29 has about an inch of soil and an inch of gravel and I never vacuum it.

I want it and the plants need the mulm that collects.

The thing is the plants that are rooted in your substrate need the gunk. I don't use any additive just fish food and fish waste in my planted tanks. Never been a problem. The 29 has been up for a almost a year now and the 6 gallon for several months. And as you can see from my pictures they are doing wonderful. And so are the fish.

You can vacume if you like. But you wont see as much plant growth and might need to add stuff to the water to keep them alive.