Does Size Matter?

Seymoura

I went to a lfs to pick up some supplies & the clerk told me that my sweet Seymoura (a common gf) will probably need a 50+gallon tank.

YIPES! This is a fish I won last year at a school fundraiser - it started out, maybe an inch (maybe 2 inches)long, and now she's around 5-1/2", almost 6" (including the tail). I'm a very proud mama.

But the clerk (not trying to sell me anything) advised me that commons are better off in ponds.

I've become very fond of this fish, #()$(#)*@)($%!!!!, and have spent W-A-Y more than I ever expected to, am looking at used tanks on craigslist and dreaming up schemes to somehow pay for/fit the dang thing in the school library where Seemee lives.

I was planning on getting a 20L set up as soon as I saved up enough cash. I thought a 20L could suffice for a few years (currently she's in a 10 gal - $40 kit which was on sale at a chain ---I probably would have been better off spending a bit more on a bigger tank kit --- but at the time....sigh....)

I just needed to wail and bemoan my fate.

Something will work out. The sun'll come out, tomorrow, and all that......big sigh

Edited by Seymoura

(I thought you meant 20litres at first, but you mean 20 gallon long right?)

I agree that the common should live in a 50 gallon tank. 20 gallons is enough in terms of gallons of water, but for a full grown common (can be more than a foot) 20 gallons isn't enough space to swim. So, a 100 gallon with 5 commons would be better than, say, 25 gallon tank with one common, IMO.

I would invest in the 50 gallon (or more).

ETA: Ok, so this might be a bit crazy, but I remember that my elementary school library had a tiny indoor pond (maybe 100 gallons at most) with common goldfish and a few turtles. It was awesome :) I know it's probably not possible, but if it were, it would be a lot cheaper than a tank- no stand, just one of those preformed ponds and a filter. Did I say it was awesome?

Edited by Calluna

Commons get BIG!

My T.F. came from a school carnival, with like, 14 other fish that I accidentally killed.

He lives alone in a 29 gallon and is probably stunted beyond reason for my prior lack of knowledge, but they do fare better in ponds and LARGE tanks.

T.F. is about five years old and maybe, 6-7 inches with tail? That's small for a comet or common, particularly an adult one, who (if I recall correctly) reach a length of about 10 inches to a foot?

With goldfish, size DOES matter. Quite a lot. You have experienced a rare happening: a LFS employee giving *good* advice!

I was under the impression that a 30 gal would suffice for a single common goldfish. However with goldfish being social, a 55 gal with a friend would be preferred.

That's what I thought, too at least until they get really big.

9 inches LOL But still, she got so big within only one and a half years, and that with me starting out all wrong and keeping them in a way too small tank until just a few months ago. I eventually want to get a 125g long for them, that thing is I think 60" long.

I know the 150g tank has 25 more gallons, but it is not long and I believe that the goldfish would be better off in a long than a taller tank.

So yes, for a single tail I would go with a tank as long as possible. They love swimming back and forth, much more than fancies! :)

The best advice with goldfish is alwaysget the biggest tank you possibly can. A bigger tanks means less stress about keeping the water clean, more room for the fish and just an easier fish keeping experience in general :)

I got my 55 gallon tank from the classifieds for $100, stand and lights included. Keep looking, I'll bet you can find something.

ETA: Ok, so this might be a bit crazy, but I remember that my elementary school library had a tiny indoor pond (maybe 100 gallons at most) with common goldfish and a few turtles. It was awesome :) I know it's probably not possible, but if it were, it would be a lot cheaper than a tank- no stand, just one of those preformed ponds and a filter. Did I say it was awesome?

OMG! do you have pics of the library pond/tank? or does the school library have a web page w/a pic posted? I need to see it!!!

(What does "ETA" mean? all I could think of was Estimated Time of Arrival... feeling old with a perplexed look on my face....)

You should watch some of the videos of Fang's Hugo swimming back anmd forth in her 55 gallon. Hugo is I think 16 months old and 10 inches long, and travels the length of the tank with like one tail swish.

I've watched the Holy Waterchange! video quite a few times - even showed the video of her fishies frolicking in the spray to my goldfish skeptic Significant Other hoping he would finally see HOW CUTE goldfish could be.....he still doesn't get it.

The best advice with goldfish is alwaysget the biggest tank you possibly can. A bigger tanks means less stress about keeping the water clean, more room for the fish and just an easier fish keeping experience in general :)

I got my 55 gallon tank from the classifieds for $100, stand and lights included. Keep looking, I'll bet you can find something.

Thank you, I will keep my chin up and keep searching craigslist....

(What does "ETA" mean? all I could think of was Estimated Time of Arrival... feeling old with a perplexed look on my face....)

You know...I've always wondered the same thing LOL and I'm 22 so don't feel old.

here was my idea that i was going to do for my oranda when i thought all was lost and i would never get a large enough tank:

i was going to buy one of the larger sized plastic(not inflatable) kiddie pools they usually sell at hardware stores and things like that every summer they usually go for about 20 dollars a piece i was going to add a small layer of gravel along the bottom mostly to cover us the cartton charcters that most of them have add a few plants and put in a few in tank filters. its just the supplies htat would cost the most briing down the cost of the living area by a great deal and best part is if nething happens as in a crack or leak you can very easily toss it out and replace it. i was also going to get some sticky drawer liners or paint and decorate the outside of it to make it look "classier" and not so much like a little kids swimming pool! i cannot say exactly how many gallons they are ut i know the bigger ones can be about 6-8 feet across. i know i used to have one for my ducks when they were babies!

Also you CAN paint a Kiddie pool-the hard plastic kind. I use Krylon Fusion spray paint on the plumbing on my reef aquariums, and have been doing so for years with very delicate inverts corals and fish, and have had zero problems. Many aquarists use it, just google "aquarium safe paint". The Fusion should bond well, like liquid plastic-I don't know how well it will hold up to the flexing of the pool, but hey it is only a $15 dollar investment :D . The main problem, is that a Kiddie pool will take up 6-8 feet.

Here is what I would do, better looking IMO and less evaporation-but still sufficient surface area

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock/livestock-equipment/stock-tanks-accessories/stock-tanks/stock-tank-110-ga-2229862

Build a trickle filter out of a nice looking pot/container. Put a bunch of house plants around it, and it would look pretty nice!

OMG! do you have pics of the library pond/tank? or does the school library have a web page w/a pic posted? I need to see it!!!

Nah sorry, it was long ago and I don't even know if they still have the pond. I'm pretty sure you could find something like that at somewhere like home depot though. I've seen them there before. They're really cheap compared to tanks, at least a few hundred dollars less for a 100 gal pond than 55 gal tank/stand. Hope it works out!

(and yes, ETA means edit to add :))

Here is what I would do, better looking IMO and less evaporation-but still sufficient surface area

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock/livestock-equipment/stock-tanks-accessories/stock-tanks/stock-tank-110-ga-2229862

Build a trickle filter out of a nice looking pot/container. Put a bunch of house plants around it, and it would look pretty nice!

This might be something to consider!!! The only problem, you can only see the fish from above.....and I don't have a sink in the school library.....maybe I can get those pesky 6th graders to channel some of their excess hormonal energies by lugging buckets of water....hmmmm....

I swear I read a newpaper article about someone who used a galvinized tub for an indoor pond set up........can't find it or remember where I read the article - I don't think it was online.

Here's an article in the NY Times re:BIG aquariums. Fascinating how the top 0.5% live - one chap spent 5k/month alone on tank upkeep. That is over twice my annual income. sigh. well, if you have the money.........

That was a great article! Amazing how rich folks live!!!!!

Oh my, let me sign off for now......I see a bit of Poo in my tank....I must go call the 24/7 cleaning crew to get right over!!!!!!