Tank Gallons Vs. Fish

nicoleauryn

Ok, so after further reading, upkeep of my own tank, and even more research..... I am beginning to think 4 goldfish *IS* way to many for a 30 gallon tank. Yeah yeah I know the whole rule of thumb bit, and I know goldies are dirty dirty creatures (giggity!) but now I am torn. Could I squeeeeeeeeeeeeze by with 3 goldfish? Let's say two 3 inchers and one 5 inch?

Just looking on what the mass advice is, knowing me I'll try to push it and do it anyway (along with more water changes). I love my fish I have now, but really wanted a veil tail and pearlscale in my tank (RIP Pearlie). I was always told from various people that I could have 4 in a 30 gal tank but that would be at max.... and I now know this isn't the case.... so as much as I love my white oranda, I wouldnt have purchased it and wanted to get my VT and 2nd Pearlscale.

I knew I should have gotten a bigger tank than 30, but there is nothing I can do now. :blink:

I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't even consider it. You are talking 3 inches and 5 inches, but they grow a lot when kept in proper conditions.

Right now I have a 10 year old stunted comet alone in a 29 gallon tank. I can't remember exactly how long she is but it is close to 10 inches I think.

I also wouldn't want to rely on more water changes for a long period of time, especially when you have a lot of things going on in your life.

I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't even consider it. You are talking 3 inches and 5 inches, but they grow a lot when kept in proper conditions.

Right now I have a 10 year old stunted comet alone in a 29 gallon tank. I can't remember exactly how long she is but it is close to 10 inches I think.

I also wouldn't want to rely on more water changes for a long period of time, especially when you have a lot of things going on in your life.

This is very true, I had two not-quite-3-inch fish in a 30 gallon until last week, and the idea of putting a five inch fish in with them would not have looked like a good plan. There really would not have been enough room for everyone.

Sakura has a point- it would be the best deal to sell your current tank and buy another. I've just never been comfortable with selling and meeting people online, though, so I could understand if that's not an option for some people. IMO, if your cycle is strong enough 3 fish in a 30 gallon when they are small (5'' might be pushing it) is fine. Of course regular water changes are important and I wouldn't suggest pearl scales or anything that fragile for a 10gal/fish stocking level. So if you really want those specific fish, if I were you I'd wait to get at least a 55gal, preferably 75 :D

IMO, if your cycle is strong enough 3 fish in a 30 gallon when they are small (5'' might be pushing it) is fine. Of

Yes I think with small fish it may be doable. But, as we all know, goldies grow fast. You may be ok for a while but then find yourself battling with water quality very soon. I'd either stick with 2 fish or try to find a bigger tank instead of putting yourself through the trouble of pushing your stocking limits. Just my thoughts, goodness knows I've learned the hard way that 10 gallons per fish isn't always enough.

I guess that's the fight that many of us have...wanting more fish, then needed more gallons.

Soon, the house is filled with tanks and the people are overstocked! I'm going through the same thing now...Can't believe little (2") Fluffy will really need all the space in my new 26 gallon tank...but then I see the pictures about how big they get.

Take care!

mj

• Admin

Yeah trust me I used to max my tanks out, till two fish got sick and I lost one, it caused to many problems. So after my move I was left with one tank down from three, I had an 80 gal tank but couldnt move it with me so i had to go down to my 50 gal tank, I would love more fish but my tank is stocked with just 4 fish in there and alot of filtration. I dont have problems now since all the fish are babies and the tank is understocked now.

With goldfish more room and high filtration and understocked tanks are the way to go :)