Goldfish Connection

Anyone ever bid/bought a fish and have received it? I have been eyeing one and don't mind bidding, but wanted to know if anyone ever have. Furthermore, I really like one of the goldies in the show room, but a part of me is curious to wait and see more. I noticed that there are only 5 days left... so... after those 5 days will there be another group? Or how long will it be for another group to go up for bidding. Wondering if I should wait or not, eyeing one of the veil tails.

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/auction/index.php?srId=4744&act=showroom

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe maybe not he is tring to move. So might be the last one for a while. Many people have ordered from him. I have yet to do it but plan to this spring when he has more real veiltails.

The VT's always seem to go for a lot, so if you do bid, just know you'll probably have to bid really high. I got an all orange one for $145, and I got another all orange one he sent me by accident, so that one was a freebie :)

hmmmm anyone asked if he will have another group, and does moving mean the website is moving or he physically is moving? lol

Maybe I will bid then, since there is a chance that he may never have goldies in the showroom again.

(off topic - Sakura I posted in your Luna white spot thread)

He's physically relocating and trying to clear out the current stock of fish as much as possible. New auctions probably won't be till at least after the new year.

There are several online sources for goldfish, but as Haruka said, you have to be willing to pay overnight shipping. Depending on the size of the fish, that could be anywhere from $50-$75 on top of the price of the goldfish.

Yeah, and I think it depends where you live too, because Amy's shipping for just two fish was $100 after the $20 discount. My shipping for two fish was only $64! Then recently I bought five fish, so I was upgraded to the bigger box, and that was $113 for shipping.

I am bidding on two calico butterflies in this auction :) I hope I get them since the last time two calicos were swiped from me at the very last minute!

Which VT are you thinking about Auryn?

Which VT are you thinking about Auryn?

I am eyeing the Red Veiltail Telescope..... something about it

Also looking at the Calico Butterfly Telescope and the Sakura Phoenix Eggfish..... (black ranchu is cute too, ZAHHHH!)

Oy, which calico butterfly?! I'm bidding on 12 and 19 so... hands off! :yeah: haha

Oh I like the red VT, but then I would! (My two VT's look really similar to that one) The fins on that red one are in pretty good shape. Sometimes the VT's will have extra little spines that are not connected to the actual fin. My Grindle has a couple, but Serafina doesn't.

Oy, which calico butterfly?! I'm bidding on 12 and 19 so... hands off! :yeah: haha

Oh I like the red VT, but then I would! (My two VT's look really similar to that one) The fins on that red one are in pretty good shape. Sometimes the VT's will have extra little spines that are not connected to the actual fin. My Grindle has a couple, but Serafina doesn't.

Ooooh man 19 was another one I was eyeballin :P (Don't worry I won't). Yeah the red VT (#3), I noticed it had really great fins..... ooooh do I bid?? I wonder to risk it, and then pray to see if he gets more after the new year :/

Has the fish you have now been healthy for at least a month? If not, I wouldn't risk buying a new (and spendy!) fish right now personally. And I speak from experience here... I have had 14 GFC fish so far, and currently only 7 are living! :o Sometimes deaths are unavoidable, but it's good to make sure you minimize all your risks of course. :) And you know that the new fish will have to be quarantined in their own tank with cycled media from the main tank for a few weeks, right? This is to make sure that they're healthy before you put them in your main tank. It's also to bolster their immune response back to normal after the stress of shipping, so that once they go in the main tank, if there's anything in there that could possibly infect them they will be better able to fight it off.

If you are prepared to do all these things, then I'd say go ahead and bid! But if not, you're much better off waiting. I do think Ken will have more of these VT's in the new year because he told me it's a fairly new-to-him breeder that his girlfriend helped him discover, and they have been wildly popular so far!

Auryn, have you seen the fish for sale at raingarden.us? The seller (Steve) is based in Hawaii, and he has a few veiltails right now too. He also has a few really nice broadtails. And he always has a good selection of other fish as well. Check it out! http://www.raingarden.us/goldfish.htm

Thank you Sakura and Flutter! I am having cycle issues right now, but I think we got down to the root cause. Yes I am prepared to quarantine the fish, but I may have to wait a bit - esp since I wanna test the pH. I will check out Steves too! Ive been eyeing a VT, Pearlie, or even a ranchu :heart but the VT.....ohhhh how pretty :)

An uncycled QT takes A LOT of water changes to maintain without stressing the fish. On top of shipping stress, I wouldn't want to risk it. If you wait until your cycle is re-established you can seed a filter with media from the main tank and make it a lot easier on you and the fish.

Hiya Auryn...stealth tactics work best.

Probably the best is to set your ceiling bid and slam it in there. This would help deter other bidders as they will see how high their bids are going without positive results. Second way would be the last second snipe. Sneaky but really effective and man I love doing it! But it's a gamble because you don't know what the previous bidder's ceiling bid may be.

Last would be the Buy It Now or BIN. A hefty price but if you want that fish bad enough BAM it's yours. It's all a gamble but practice makes perfect. :yeah:

Thanks! Yeah I was thinking - Do I throw in my top ceiling bid and pray, and if I get nervous just buy? Or do I wait.... because if I wait, other bidders could think they got it in the bag, and then I could snipe! - However, it wouldnt have mattered that last round. I thought it was perfect, the fish was only at $40 On Friday, then Saturday morning, she was taken off the site (one of the VTs) Bah! lol Thanks for the input!

Yep...you have to do what feels right. To be safe I would throw out your ceiling bid and you can stay comfortable at least for a few days and you can see just where the bids are going. This would give you time to react coming down towards the end and you could even increase your ceiling if you felt uneasy.

I've done a lot of bidding myself on almost a thousand auctions and nothing gives me more satisfaction than that last second snipe! Stealth hoo boy! :tomato:

I've done a lot of bidding myself on almost a thousand auctions and nothing gives me more satisfaction than that last second snipe! Stealth hoo boy! :tomato:

But it's so mean!

ANYTHING goes at an auction-it's the nature of the beastbingo.gif