How To Use Whisper Filter Media To Seed New Tank?

After I finally got our new (to us) tank up and running, Mr. Petty Officer wants me to get Herman in it ASAP. He's not a fan of having an open tub/tank on the floor with Little Breeches and friends playing around it. (Although, in their defense, they rarely go over to that corner of the room.) The sides of the tub have become very bowed with time. So I can see how it could make him feel unsettled.

I know that I can purchase cycle starting things at the LFS, but here's what I'm wondering.....can I also place the filter from his temp tub/tank in the new aquarium in a net bag to get things going, and to keep the BB alive for the next fish we purchase to have a cycled filter for quarantine sometime in the future? I went with two Aqua Clear 50's for the new tank, and the filter in question is a Whisper 300.

I'm worried about ole' Herman in the new tank, but I also know he'll be very happy with more room and some places to hide.

Thanks in advance you guys for all of your help. I'm very, very thankful for my Kokonut friends!!!

Just take some of the media out and put it in the new filter. I use a lot of floss in mine so I just move that. Even helped a friends tank cycle from my tank.

I was wondering the same thing? Will it also help to put some of the old tank water into the new tank to help it cycle?

:)

Tank water is more risky adn really doesn't do anything. The beneficial bacteria aren't in the water but in all that yummy (gross) filter media. You're better off strating with clean water :)

If it's the cartridge kind, I think you can cut it open and just stuff a piece of the outer floss stuff into the new filter under the other media.

As per Hidr and Flutterbudget- just cut off a piece of the bag and put it in the new filter. It has worked like a charm for me. You don't have to use a lot.

Thanks everyone! I took your advice and cut off the fiber part of the cartridge, and placed it above the sponge in the new filter. I rolled it up and put the front piece in one Aqua Clear and the back in the other!

Thanks everyone! I took your advice and cut off the fiber part of the cartridge, and placed it above the sponge in the new filter. I rolled it up and put the front piece in one Aqua Clear and the back in the other!

You mean between the sponge and the ceramic media, right? If so that's good. Just so it's under the biomax (or whatever ceramic media you have), since the flow is upward and that's where you are wanting those little dudes to move to.