Earthquakes And Fish Tanks

mjbubbles

I'm setting up a new tank and stand and want to attach the stand to the wall in case of earthquakes. Does anyone else do this?

Do you do anything to protect the tank from falling off the stand when the "big one" hits?

Am I just being paranoid?

Would love to hear your ideas.

mj

Hi there. When I read your earlier post about attaching the stand I was slightly panicking! I wonder if I should have done that? I wonder though if whatever you attach it with will be able to hold all that weight up if there really was an earthquake? I'm hoping that my 55G will be heavy enough not to move if we have one...

I was thinking to attach the stand to the wall to stop it from toppling over during a quake...just like you would for a book shelf.

I haven't heard from anyone who has actually done this, so maybe I'm over thinking.

I can be a bit of a worry wart!

mj

I would think if an earthquake hit hard enough to topple a large tank then attaching it to a wall is not going to help any.

Only been in one earthquake and a couple dishes fell out of the cabinets and one light came down but thats all I remember. Slept threw most of it. I was in like the 2nd grade. lol

I was thinking to attach the stand to the wall to stop it from toppling over during a quake...just like you would for a book shelf.

I haven't heard from anyone who has actually done this, so maybe I'm over thinking.

I can be a bit of a worry wart!

mj

I tend worry too much, too. I did attach my book shelves, but even with those I wonder if the thing will actually hold them up during an earthquake or if they just make me feel better... until the earthquake hits.

I would think if an earthquake hit hard enough to topple a large tank then attaching it to a wall is not going to help any.

Only been in one earthquake and a couple dishes fell out of the cabinets and one light came down but thats all I remember. Slept threw most of it. I was in like the 2nd grade. lol

I've only been in a couple of small ones, too. Moved here 10 years ago. But in the big earthquake in the 90 my friends tropical tank did fall off the stand...

So now I'm thinking that maybe keeping an emergency rubbermaid container at hand might be the way to go...

We had one here in Maryland one day and I slept through it :rofl But I do like Kerstin's idea of having a rubbermaid handy for emergencies. :) I doubt you'll need to use it though, but it doesn't hurt to be safe!

I was in Santa Cruz during the '89 Loma Prieta earthquake. When you run outside and all the buildings are swaying back and forth, you know it's a big one......

Check with the local fish stores in the Bay Area. The "Big One" is always in the back of any coastal Californian's mind.

That said, and I hope I'm not violating any rules, The Planted Tank has something on earthquakes and fish tanks

Thanks! That's very helpful.

Just waitin' for the "Big One". I was here for the 89 Loma Prieta quake and I've been nervous about the next one ever since.

I'm going to strap my stand to the stud in the wall behind it. That should help stop it from toppling.

Cheers!

mj

• 3 weeks later...