Introduced The New Fish And Encountered A Problem

enesta

It's two days early, but I wanted a chance to observe for at least a week before I go on vacation. I put the new black moor in after healing her for a month. She seemed to enjoy it, but now my big (although smaller than her) orange telescope that used to bully my other moor (but finally stopped past couple of weeks) just decided to startup again. Now the telescope is bullying her and the other moor it had finally let up on. Nipping at fins, budding against from behind. It's the weirdest thing, what would trigger that? The new moor is hiding, wedging itself into a fake plant right now.

I'll post pictures tonight.

I wouldn't worry quite yet, but watch closely. It just sounds like the dominant fish checking out the newbie :) Any time I've introduced goldies to each other, it's always reminded me of introducing dogs...Somebody's always gotta be a butt sniffer :doh11:

:goodpost Sometimes they form hierarchies and you'll get a naughty leader. My old Red was the leader and really didn't care who or what came in. He was like the goodly king. :rofl Sounds like you have a tyrant!

do you know their sexes? could be breeding behavior or male craziness. I have a lot of that happening in my tank because 4 of the 5 fish in there are males! They are all showing breeding stars right now and they all seem to be fighting for role of tank boss. Watch them for a few days. If things get too rough you can try and put the bully in a 'time out tank'.

The two that were in there were females I think. It got worse - I came in there and her top fin was all torn up, had a couple of white spots and some silver shiny thing hanging from her that looks like it may be a scale? I saw the orange telescope actually bite at its long flowy tail. I immediately put the orange girl in a breeder box. I'm uploading pictures now, will post in a few minutes...

It's worse than I thought, the first pic is before when I first introduced, the second is after. Her tail fin looks beatup too. I'm not sure that's all from the orange telescope, she keeps wedging herself in this plastic/silk plant thing that could be doing it. Ugh I just got her healthy and then this! I have no way of separating them unless she stays in a hospital tank alone indefinitely.

11280888.jpg

after

39994125.jpg

Oh dear. :( Move her back to the hospital tank with warm water and 0.1% salt and melafix, that should help her a lot. How much are you feeding them all? They might be hungry. I'd buff her up too with multiple small feedings a day.

If Penelope is being naughty, after the moor's fins are all healed up nicely, I'd put Penelope in the quarantine tank and she'll learn that being mean is a no-no. I had a tyrant fish and he was the smallest too, it eventually got so bad I had to get rid of him, but don't get rid of her until you try the naughty tank a couple of times.

oh my! are you sure the moor was healthy when you reintroduced her? it isn't unknown for them to bully sick fish - and it seems like a LOT of damage to be done so fast... :o

edit: she looks very thin (???)

Yes, she is very thin and stunted - I have another thread explaining that I rescued her from very poor conditions. That is a lot of damage to be done in a short time - I only left for maybe two hours. I have no idea what she could've done that quickly. Part of me thinks it's that plant she wedged herself into so tightly.

I had thought she was healed, she swam around in the hospital tank quite a bit for the past 2 weeks and looked healthy (other than what I thought would be a permanent body shape deformation).

I'm feeding the two in the main tank 5 small omega 1 pellets in the morning and at night. I'm feeding the larger rescue fish 7-8 twice daily. Just recently started doing about 5 pellets 3x a day for her.

She's back in the hospital tank right now. I'm going to do a large water change and put salt in. I really hope I can make this work, I like all the fish and really wish to keep them. Maybe I'll need to get her bigger and beefed up like you said and get a larger tank first. Somehow the small black moor manages to live with the orange telescope.

I hate to make her stay in a small 11-12 gallon hospital tank for so long though. Is that even large enough for her to grow in?

Edited by enesta

I'm guessing the plant probably had a lot to do with the damage. If you keep up on water changes and have as much filtration as she can handle, the hospital tank shouldn't stunt her. Plus, in this situation, she's still waaaaaay better off than when you got her. Sometimes with rescues, gradually improving "housing" is the best you can do :)

you can also try feeding frozen foods such are krill and shrimps etc - those are all very high in protein and should help bulk her up (and will help with the regeneration of the tail etc). Besides that you can try boiled spinach and let her snack on that for like 10-20mins. I am not familiar with the size of the pellets you feed - I like the idea that the meal portions should be the size of what would fit in her eyeball if it was empty :)

how are her poops? keep an eye if she looses weight she might have internal parasites :)

good luck!

Her poops seemed to be small and dark lately. I'll try some spinach and see if I can get some frozen food, do those sink?

The size of her WHOLE eye ball.. even though she's a telescope?

Thanks everyone.

Edited by enesta

Those pellets are very small federica, even smaller than Saki Hikari :o. I wish I could get a picture but the fish eat it up so fast.

She should be fine in a 10-11 gallon now with plenty of filtration and plenty of good food like Federica suggested. I highly recommend bloodworms and frozen foods like Federica suggested. You can feed her more of those pellets if you want I do more than a pinch for all of my fish and do it 3-4 times daily. Once she gets a little more robust she should be able to fair her own and show Penelope who's boss.

Okay thanks Hakura! Penelope is getting a bad reputation... she is a bit of a bully, but so cute and funny to watch (most playful fish I've ever seen), she's very intelligent. Not sure what's going through her head.

Oh yea, then you can feed more! I feed my moor about 8-10 2x a day. Short dark poops are good! Try and increase the feedings - you know you are feeding too much when the fish start to get trailing poops.

Yup the frozen foods sink! You just need to de-freeze them - I put mine in a glass with warm water - then you feed what you want. :)

In the weekends or when you have the time you can even feed 2 times a day main meals like protein and pellets - and one 'snack' in the middle of the day of veggies :)

Once you are ready to put her back in the main tank we can check on options. you can always move ornaments around - to try and reduce territorial issues. Or you can remove the bully while your moor settles in :)