Maracyn And Maracyn Two

npila1

I am going to order medication for fin rot, as a back up in case the salt doesn't help (it doesn't seem to be helping so far). Do I need both maracyn and maracyn two?

The permafix and melafix aren't very strong medications, so if the salt doesn't work I doubt they would either. Maracyn is good. As for which one you need, it depends on the bacteria. I'd just try maracyn one and see what happens. You don't want to overmedicate. I would go with that before maracyn oxy.

The permafix and melafix aren't very strong medications, so if the salt doesn't work I doubt they would either. Maracyn is good. As for which one you need, it depends on the bacteria. I'd just try maracyn one and see what happens. You don't want to overmedicate. I would go with that before maracyn oxy.

Hi, thanks for the reply. The problem is that I'm leaving for a week in 6 days, so I don't have much time to try things and see what works, that's why I was thinking of doing maracyn one/maracyn two. Is maracyn oxy a combination of maracyn one and two or is it completely different?

I wouldn't try antibiotics for 6 days if you can't do water changes or monitor the fish. Do you think your fish will be ok with just salt for that amount of time?

Honestly I'm not sure about the maracyn oxy, the info I found just says it's made from stabalized chlorine oxides..I think it may be different from other forms of maracyn.

She might be ok, but I just didn't want to let it get worse. I read that the maracyn one/two treatment is for 5 days, so I figured I could complete it before I left.

Yes, this is the thread: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/88062-fin-rot-not-getting-better/

So, just to clarify you think I should try only either maracyn OR maracyn two now, or should I add both?

Just try one. You really don't want to stress your fish too much. Medications are good, but they also take a toll on the fish's body. Try maracyn one and see if that has a noticeable effect.

Edit: I just read through your post. Honestly, I would NOT medicate yet. Keep the salt at .2 (that's what it is now, right?) while you are gone and see how the fish are when you come back. It doesn't seem like they have an extreme case of fin rot at all, if it were me I'd give the salt more of a chance before resorting to medications.

You couldadd melafix, since that is more gentle. It helps to heal wounds. Personally I use it, but here are others who don't because it is an oil and they feel it coats the gills of fish. But I have used a combination of salt and melafix to treat all sorts of minor wounds successfully.

Hi, thanks for clarifying that, I'll stick with the salt for now, but I have two concerns about the 0.2% salt:

1) I read that it can cause cycle bumps and I was hesitant about leaving it higher than 0.1% while I'm away, since I won't be able to monitor water quality.

2) My goldies had flukes and I treated them with prazi pro but they are starting to show symptoms of flukes again. I was considering adding a dose of prazi the day before I left, if the symptoms continue or get worse by then. However, in previous threads that I read, it said that a salt level higher than 0.1% makes prazi ineffective (or less effective).

Do you have any thoughts about these? Thanks again for helping out!

Edited by npila1

I would hold off on the prazi until you get back. Sometimes it does take more than one round to get rid of flukes. As for your cycle, just do a very big water change before you go and make sure the filter media gets a good rinse.