Peepers Is Bottom Sitting

jody

Is zeo the one with half carbon? I know ac makes a ammonia remover but I hear that starves the cycle, if I am going to lose the cycle than I guess it doesnt matter.

Jody,

Zeolite doesn't contain carbon...some manufacturers do mix carbon and zeolite together. I've used the AC Ammonia removers which is the zeolite media and they've worked fine for me while I was cycling my tanks. I've never seen any changed to my tank cycles whatsoever. ;)

Let's go Peepers and Google!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys :)

Got the Marcyn 2 and ammonia remover. Should I add the ammonia remover right away? Or just wait for ammonia to appear? The old filter I have to run with the biomax in a tub was used with koi 3 months ago and one of them had an ulcer. Should I just use one of my existing filters? Also can I feed my cycle in the tub with fish food?

make sure you clean the tub out if the koi was sick :)

Yea you can use fish food - but liquid ammonia is cleaner. whichever way works for you.

I just used a tub that was never used for anything but these guys before, and I cleaned it out with hot water. I used on of the existing filters in the tub. In the tank I am going to hold off on the ammonia remover atm as I only have one established biomax in there, I just replaced my old crushed coral slot with a new one but I have to keep that in there.

I just did a 100% wc added the maracyn 2. I fed them a few pellets as they havent had anything but veggies and fasting for 4-5 days. I had to basically hand feed Peepers because he doesnt seem to have the will to search for it.

Will keep monitoring tank params and hope for the best.

I have an update for the helpers and anyone following :)

Day three of the Maracyn 2 today. Google is still pineconed, a little bit more than the previous picture, but otherwise she is taking it well. She spends a lot of time on the bottom but is active from time to time swimming about the tank.

Peepers is still bottom sitting most of the time but he tries to swim around sometimes. He seems sinky but has more energy than a couple days ago when he could barely swim for food. He is a little pineconed but not much.

Both are still eating and pooping. So far no more floating issues, I have been feeding sparingly.

No ammonia yet and tank parameters are holding.

The spare tub with the other filter is running. I threw in about 20 pellets on day one and they are still sitting on the bottom. Do you think they will create enough ammonia to keep the BBs fed in that filter?

MMs and Jumpstart will arrive Monday and I I should be able to start the MM late in the evening monday. Any tips on MM would be helpful.

When it comes time to remove the Maracyn 2 what should I do? I am thinking large water change and then add carbon. Also after that would it be safe to add back my other filter from the tub?

Nitrates were posted in another thread at 15 but I had copied and pasted from another thread. Nitrates are <5 and Ammonia, Nitrites are 0, PH 7.6. All tank parameters are holding. This is day 5 of the maracyn 2.

I lost Google today. Obituary will be up soon.

Peepers is still bottom sitting but has more energy, he is not pineconing. He has been eatin the metro meds, but still seems like he is gasping a bit.

Also looking for advice on how to get the maracyn 2 out? I am thinking huge wc and add carbon.

The edges of his gills look a bit white.

I have no experience with Maracyn. However, I believe that it is an antibiotic right? What is the recommended time frame? I think it might be best to do the entire treatment or you might get problems with resistant bacteria.

I will see if there is anything in my books about white gills. You mean just the outside cover? Or when you look inside?

All I can recommend now is continue with the MMs - that is great he is eating. And maybe make sure he has LOTS of oxygen (as water meds tend to reduce it quite significantly) and make sure the tank is rather dark.

I am real sorry about Google :(

Yes it is an antibiotic. Dosage is for 5 days, I just added last dose. It is the outside cover of gills. Yeah he just ate some MM, seems to be gasping quite a bit now, swimming around. The lights are out on the tank, I just turn them on for feeding. Two bubblers going rated for 10-30gal each. Thanks :)

I checked a bit what I could find and think the gills might just be under stress from the medication. I would put in any other air pumps you might have lying around. I think he will be much happier once the meds are out of the tank :) I didn't find anything on the gill cover. Did you manage to peek into the gills while he was chewing the MMs? I think that as long as they are the correct color it should not be a problem. Just make sure the gills aren't pale :)

The gill plates arent that white on the edges just a little bit. The gills don't appear to be much pale. They are not bright red or anything but are pinkish. No other air pump :( 45 minutes till I leave for work. I checked my fish box and I can't find anymore air pumps.

When are you taking the Maracyn out? I think he should get back to normal then. Once he is in clean water for a few days you should see the difference?

Maracyn is coming out tomorrow. He is actually swimming around a bit. I seen him swim to the surface, something he hasent done for at least 5 days. The MM might be starting to work along with the marcyn. Google was pineconed before the marcyn even started.

I did a 80% wc today and added carbon to the filter.

He is doing much better :D Swimming around, eating his MM, and swims up to me when I come to the tank :) He is missing Google being in his tank all alone :( He has a little raged fin, must be where he caught it in the filter intake, looks like a little white stringy thing coming off it. Thinking of starting melafix or pimafix. Should I wait on that until I am sure the maracyn is out? I think it's alright.

I am so happy he is feeling better :D

I would wait on the Melafix. THen once the Maracyn is out you can always try a light salt (0.1-0.2%) both for the fin and to give him a bit more strength and help in osmoregulation. The salt should help him fight off the rest of the issues by himself :)

I am on day 9 of the MM. I must say Peepers is making an excellent recovery. He is swimming around acting himself. He still gets a little floaty from time to time. He gets about 6-8 half pellets a day broken up into two meals. I wish I could vary his diet but with the MM I have to stick to the pellets.

Enclosed is a video of how he is acting now.

He has a rough patch now between his eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN_lvovzSy8