Peepers Is Bottom Sitting

jody

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no I was hoping it was just constipation. :(

It sounds a little like what Archie and Einstein just went through tho. They had started to get very floaty on everything and then had started to pinecone. I cleaned the tank very well and fed them MMs for 2 weeks. Do you have any medicated food?

wait for a Mod to confirm tho!

No improvement today. Still both spending most time on the bottom. And Google still pineconed. I am trying to get a hold of Fish Sempai for their Metromed and Jumpstart combo to see how long it would take to have shipped. Hopefully I can get it fast.

If I am going to seperate Google with epsom should I continue the Prazi treatment in that tank? I don't have enough prazi to treat two tanks. The current tank has 0.1 % salt and prazi in it now. Should I do a 100% change and add epsom and add the prazi back in that tank instead? I added the prazi two days ago so I am ready for the next dose in one more day. Afetr that I may not have quite enough for a full other dose. Prazi is 4-6 business days away.

Hoping for a mod soon

Edited by Hawaiian Crush

I'm so sorry about the troubles you're having. Have you seen either Peepers or Google poop recently? Are they still eating now? If they are you could try to feed a grain of epsom salt in a little piece of cooked pea. That would help a lot they are constipated. The epsom is a great laxative. :)

Is there any way to get a picture of the pineconing?

Have you tried sending a PM to a mod?

Edited by caitie

Here is the pineconing:

HPIM1967.jpg

Kind of hard to tell but I think you can.

I'll try the pea/epsom trick. Peepers has such a small mouth that I am scared he wont get the pea down and it will get stuck in his mouth. I guess it is more important for Google to get it anyway, she is a vacum.

No poop that I noticed recently. Still eating.

I'll pm a mod later tonight after work if no one has replied because I am off in an hour for work and won't have time for any treatment, except for the pea trick.

Yeah I see the pineconing but it is very slight. :) Could be due to constipation. You don't need to feed the whole pea, just a small piece to hide the epsom salt grain. I usually squash a bit of pea and then stick in the epsom.

oh poor things :(

you haven't added anything new to the tank right? any plastic thing? and your filters have been recently cleaned?

I also don't feed an entire pea - just smush what you want and put the epson inside :)

Ok they both got half a pea with the epsom. It took Peepers so long to get his it may have dissolved before he got it. Google got the bigger of the grains and sucked it up pretty quick. I added a cheap uv sterilizer 30 days ago, it is made of plastic. I removed it for the prazi during last water change. Filters were totally cleaned two days ago. I just didnt get into the propellers, but they are usually pretty clean.

I am about to add sponges to the filter intakes as Peepers got his tail stuck in an intake

Edited by Hawaiian Crush

Hopefully this will do the trick to flush out their systems. :) You can repeat the grain of epsom in the pea tonight if they haven't pooped by then. The sponge is a good idea, if they have been fasting they sometimes lack the energy to get away from the filter.

How many days of the prazi are you? if you have already done the first 3 days you can always add some carbon to absorb anything chemical the UV might have leaked? Some of those things aren't built very well. I stopped using my old one as it smelled VERY strong of burnt plastic. :(

I am on day two of the Prazi. Yeah it was a cheap uv. Maybe add the carbon tomorrow? That would mean the Prazi treatment would be over huh?

Off to work, I can reply on my phone later

Edited by Hawaiian Crush

yea you can add it once day 3 is over - incase there is anything left over even after all your w/c

I hope they feel better soon.

I would get the MMs even if you don't use them. You can keep them 6months. I always have a fresh bag on hand, it saved the lives of a couple of my fish. :)

I am not a mod, but I have dealt with dropsy many times. If I were you, I'd be starting mm's as soon as humanly possible! It only works if you start it at the very beginning signs of dropsy, so I don't think holding off in this situation is a good move.

I just ordered the MM and Jumpstart. It is looking like Monday or Tuesday for delivery. I am scared as to what state my guys will be in then.

No improvement. Both fish on the bottom and Google is pineconing(a little more prenounced now).

I am confused, if they are constipated I should be fasting? Or if it is dropsy should they get some sort of food? Also should I just start maracyn 2 now instead of waiting for the MM?

I would bet it's dropsy and not constipation. So I would keep feeding them your regular food until the mm's get here. Then, when the mm's arrive, feed only those, and make sure you pre-soak them. I would maybe buy some Maracyn 2, but don't use it quite yet. If they start looking dramatically worse before the mm's get here, then I think Maracyn 2 might be an option, but waiting on the mm's is your best bet in my opinion. MM's are much less harsh on the fish and the beneficial bacteria than Maracyn 2 will be, so I'd view that as a last resort type of thing.

Hang in there Google and Peepers! :heart

what you can do in the meantime if you didn't already is raise the temperature in the tank a bit - around 26C is what I use.

Also you can try with epson salt (1/4 teaspoon per 10gal I think) if you want to help drain the fluid. Otherwise I have recently started using aquarium salt as it was recommended to me - this is up to 0.3%. It is as you wish :) The Epson might help de-bloat, the salt might help with osmoregulation and especially give them a little boost in strength/immunity.

I am starting Marcyn 2 today. These guys are not coming off the bottom at all. I may be possibly 5 days until the MM come, I've waited on meds before and lost a fish and I am not doing that again. I dont care about the BB I willc ycle again if I have to, I would rather lose the cycle than the fish. 100% wc is going to be done before Marcyn 2 as salt makes it ineffective.

Thanks guys for all your help :) Do you think raising the temp is still needed? Is this to help.... with the fluid buildup?

Yes raising the temp is always good. But also make sure there is LOTS of aeration.

You can put your filter to run in a tub maybe - and feed it ammonia daily?

THen you can put in zeolite which will take care of the ammonia for the fish. I am not 100% sure that it doesn't absorb meds... But I don't think so.

It would be much less stressful for them if you don't have to recycle.

Aeration shouldnt be a problem. I hate to cut the filtration to 200 gph by losing a filter but maybe taht will be okay since we are working with a 27 gallon. I do have a couple old filters so I can put some of my biomax in that so that I still have 400gph. I'll check the zeolite cause I am on my way to the lfs. Is zeo the one with half carbon? I know ac makes a ammonia remover but I hear that starves the cycle, if I am going to lose the cycle than I guess it doesnt matter. Okay i am just talking out loud but I think we solved the issue with the cycle with running one in a tub :)

yea you would remove the media and run it in a tub with liquid ammonia. the zeolite is little white rocks. they are usually sold in the pond section. I use it in all my QT tubs - you just put it in a media bag on top of a bubbler and it absorbs all the ammonia.