Bottom Sitting

Guest Milp00l

Guest Milp00l

Hey everyone, ok, so Friday I came home from work to find my Black moor lying on the bottom of the tank. He usually most of time swims at or near surface. I have him in a 125 gallon tank with 4 other goldies (other 4 are doing fine), hes been in there for over a year without a problem until now. I tested the water right away and all parameters great, I perform a 40% water change once every week.

Water temp 70*, PH is at 7.2, Amonia and nitrite at 0, and nitrates at about 15ppm.

The only thing that has changed is two new goldies which were added to tank just under a month ago, both were bought at same time and quarantined for about 2 1/2-3 months.

The other thing that is new is that i fed them hikari frozen blood worms for the first time ever last sunday night and the black moor ate about half the cube himself! so i figured he might have been constipated and fed them peas. i had to hand feed him but he ate peas fine.

he looks fine other than lying on the bottom of tank for going on 3 days now. every now and then he will swim a little bit, very little, like a half a foot to a new spot and lay there for a couple hours.

I did a 50% water change yesterday morning and then dosed the entire tank prazipro treatment. did not feed yesterday and then i did another prazi dose today. going to wait till wednesday to dose again. i plan on doing a quarantine-like treatment for a month on the entire tank. unfortunately, my quarantine tank has a new ranchu in it going through a prazi treatment right now so i didnt want to put black moor in there with it. 2 of the goldies in main tank never had a prazi treatment (but i have had them for going on 5 years now)

I have no idea what is going on with black moor so i am treating with prazipro as a precaution.

Could it be a bacteria infection?

should i be seeing other signs?

can i treat tank for bacteria nfection while i am treating with prazipro?

sorry for the super long message but any help will be appreciated...it is making me feel so sad for him just seeing him look so sad lying on the tank bottom.

thanks

You alreaday answered some of this, but it will help if you can fill out this form. Just copy and paste it into your reply and then you can type the answers next to the questions. That way the people who come to help will have all the info in one place :)

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Now I wouldn't treat with prazi as a precaution, this might make things worse. It's best to never use medicine as a precaution. I would do a large 75% water change. Perhaps it's the nitrates bothering him.

Edited by Haruka

Guest Milp00l

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 15ppm

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.2

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.2

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? 70

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 125 gallons 5+years

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? 3 aquaclear 110's

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 40% weekly

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 total (2 2-3", 3 5+")

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? API stress coat

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? each day something different between pellets/granules, flakes, peas, spinach, blood worms. feed once to twice daily and once a week i dont feed

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? 2 orandas less than a month ago (quarantined for 2 1/2-3 months)

[*]Any medications added to the tank? treating with prazi since yesterday

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? lying on bottom

Guest Milp00l

Now I wouldn't treat with prazi as a precaution, this might make things worse. It's best to never use medicine as a precaution. I would do a large 75% water change. Perhaps it's the nitrates bothering him.

I just did a water change yesterday and i test my water once to twice a week and the nitrates are always around 15ppm. it never has been over 20ppm. Moor has been in this tank for over a year with maintenance and water parameters not changing.

Guest Milp00l

Besides the 2 new orandas (which were quarantined for 2-3 months), the only thing different was feeding hikari frozen bloodworms 5 days prior to bottom lying. I dropped the cube in tank and black moor grabbed it and other fish attacking all the worm falling off cube and when cube got a little smaller (like half the original size) the moor just inhaled the rest! Could it be possible that he just isnt feeling good from eating that much at once? maybe constipated...i dont monitor him 24 hours a day so i dont know if or when the last time he pooped.

Edited by Milp00l