Emergency Tank

So some of you may remember my Brother in law had offered me his 55 gallon set up because he didn't have the time for it anymore :( but hubby said NO :( So today he (brother in law) showed up with these 3 poor guys in a bucket and asked if I wanted them?? or he was going to flush them :0...I couldn't let him flush them... and I know my 20 gallon isn't ready :( But I thought with daily w/c's I might be able to save them, and then maybe trade them at my mom & pop pet shop for what I decide on for my 20 gallon long :) Any Suggestions???

Poor Fishies :(

ctmpphp5akXDW.jpg

ctmpphpwbZ3Xi.jpg

ctmpphphPwQ6N.jpg

levels are

ph-7.6

nitrite-0

ammonia-0

nitrates-0

temp 78

I do not really know anything about these fish or their needs so any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated :)

Oh my poor fish. :(

Good clean water daily will help and 0.1% aquarium salt to be safe as well as some Melafix. Melafix works wonders with salt.

Do you know their history? Angels are really little princes and princesses. Is there a heater on the tank?

Edited by Haruka

• Supporter

angels? i would be pm'ing hidr... i think there is something very different needing to be done for them than our usual goldfish routine..

good for you for saving them!.. poor little darlings, they've certainly seen better days.. hope it all goes well for you!..

Nice of you to save them. Clean water and keep the tank at about 80. The silver dollars might be what is going on with the angels fins so keep an eye on that.

You can use salt to help with the stress and help that poor angels fins heal.

Once the tank is cycled weekly 20 percent water changes well be fine. You could get away with less if they were in a more proper size tank but weekly should be fine till you get them a new home.

But as you know if the tank is not then you need to do more water changes.

Angel well eat many things. Mine gets flakes, brine shrimp and bloodworm's. Mine well also nibble on the algae disk. The silver dollars need more plant matter. Never owned any cause they get so large but have done research on them and they do like to eat live plants and stuff high in plant matter. Maybe try some pea, cucumbers and stuff like that.

This may sound horible, but unless you plan on keeping them yourself, I would euthanize them. Their fins are NEVER going to grow back. They have suffered a severe case of fin rot. I have one smokie angel in a tank by herself that looks like that. She was a rescue from a friend. Two years after rescuing her, her fins look exactly the same. If you bring them to a mom and pop store, they will do the same thing I suggested. The damage is just too close to the base of the fins.

On the other hand, if the angels are still growing themselves, the fins may grow back to a point but never fully.

Thanks everyone :) here's the plan then...Daily water changes (the tank is not cycled) aquarium salt and melafix (as soon as i can pick some up)

A bit of history...apparently he just didn't make the time to care for them as he was working 2 jobs,which is why he had offered me his 55 gallon set up he lost 3 other angels :( and 4 smaller silver dollars :( and also a bala shark and common pleco :( nough said :(

I'm going to do what i can then if they look better try to re home them :)

His tank was way over stocked which means it would not survive without large weekly water changes. If he messed a few of those that would explain the loses.

Oh my gosh.... those poor fish :(

I was just going to post in your 20 gallon long thread, but then read this... Good on you for saving them Shell - will look forward to hearing about how they go now they are in a good home.

Thanks everyone i just couldn't let him flush them and i know my Tank is way to small but hopefully with good clean water a little melafix and some tlc they will recover enough to be re homed to a caring individual :) I have added a few fake plants as they were acting very skittish :( the angel seems to be recognizing me as a friend now as he/she has started to come to the front of the tank when i am near :) the Dollars are just plain crazy (LOL) here's a pic of there temp home :)

ctmpphpegYwzd.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

That is so sad!!! Poor babies!!! I can't believe with some people the instinct is to just flush them because they can't be bothered! Good for you for taking them and trying to help them and saving them... I hope they do well and eventually find a nice home (or perhaps end up staying with you for good)

Thanks Sue :)

The truly sad thing is that it's my brother in law :( who always has had very beautiful setup's in the past :( in fact it was him who got me started with fish keeping :) he's just got to much on his plate at the moment and let things get to bad real fast :( As far as keeping them for myself I am becoming quite attached to the angel who just seems so sweet :) I have named him/her Nod :) but I think when the Silver Dollars (Winking and Blinking ;))are feeling better they will def need to have more swimming room Than I can provide atm :(

So nice of you to save them from being flushed, there we got something in common. And yes, you get attached to angels fast. They seem so smart, recognize you as something good fast. The 20g should be fine for an angelfish and a few small ones like I had. Not exactly really small fish like guppies as they will be his snacks, but a few platies worked fine at least for me.

The silver dollars will be too big for this tank as they grow 6-7 inches, which is bigger than the angelfish.

From the angelfish's body shape I'd say it is a female. I know her fins will not grow back, but if she - aside from that - makes a healthy and happy impression, I'd keep her. And I mean really KEEP her because honestly I doubt anyone else would want to take in an angelfish practically without fins. Even if a LFS would take her, she'd never get a home :(

Maybe I was just lucky, but angelfish don't seem to be very difficult to keep. I had no experience but ours is doing so good. Water temperature about 80, pH anywhere from 6 - 7.5, at least part of the tank planted, done. Mine get omega one tropical pellets, nutrafin tiny tropical pellets and frozen bloodworms. They are CRAZY for blood worms.

Thanks Fang :) I don't see the Silver Dollars being happy in my little tank for to long once they are feeling better,but I was thinking ...your right about the angelfish and if her fins won't grow back who else would want her but Me ;) I just want to be sure she/he would be ok in my 20L tank ;) As I do not have the funds or the room to upgrade atm...And I wouldn't want it to have any more stress and be happy the rest of it's life :) I'm giving them a varied diet right now just like my goldies :) and boy did they go crazy over the tubeflex worms last night :) i have named the Silver Dollars Winkin and blinkin and the Angel is Nod :) my mom's suggestion ;) lol

Thanks again :)

From what I found on the internet, 20 gallons is sufficient for one angelfish and some smaller fish - which is what peeved me at first when hubby said that his tropicals will go into the new 55 when I was planning on dividing up my goldis LOL.

Especially with Nod not having tall, long fins she doesn't need a taller tank. A 20L should be just fine, or even better since it provides more area than a tall-ish tank. I'd love to see more photos of her. I got so hooked to angelfish since we got Laura :D

She looks pretty mournful in that one. I hope she perks up soon - which I'm sure she will with all the good care you're giving her.

I have decided to see if I can find better homes for the Silver Dollars and the lone Zebra Danio,the danio seems to be a nipper I guess he needs to be in a group ::( and the Silver Dollars although cute, just need more space than I can provide presently :( I'm going to keep the angel and see f I can get her healed up,or not... either way she will be staying with me :) Thanks again for all the support :) Any suggestions are always welcome :)

So this lovely Woman came today and took the 2 Silver Dollars and the lone Zebra danio and they're going into a big 75 Gallon tank with some more of their kind :):) I am so Happy for them :) Now to Focus on Getting my Angelfish well :) Thats right I said it MY Angelfish ;) (LOL)