Reminder

Hi guys! I thought we needed a refresher on how to post for help in this forum (and the D&D forum, also).

Please remember just a few things:

FILL IN ALL THE INFORMATION IN THE WHITE BOX AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE. Koko has very wonderfully put together this checklist of things we need to know about both the sick fish and the tank, lets make sure we get all this information in the VERY FIRST POST. It saves the mods and helpers lots of circular posts. If the thread gets very long, we may ask for you to repeat this information so we don't have to scroll all the way back to the first post. Plus after a few days, parameters can change.

Also, TRY TO AVOID DIAGNOSING THE FISH YOURSELF. Aka, please don't use post titles like "my fish has hemorragic septecemia" or "fin rot" or whatever. This tends to make people start recommending medications that aren't necessarily what's needed. It's better if you fill out the white form, then at the very end you can say something like "I think this might be A, B, or C because of D, E and F." But if you diagnose right away we may think you have it all figured out, and the real cause of the illness may not be discovered for pages!

PLEASE KEEP AN OPEN MIND. We understand that this is a very stressful experience. No one likes sick pets. But we are trying to help you. Some advice may not be the easiest to hear, and we are always willing to explain things more fully. Don't be afraid to ask questions, but keep it polite. Like I said, we are trying to help, and OPs who are difficult to work with often cause those with advise to stop helping, or get rude themselves.

PLEASE LISTEN TO MODS, HELPERS, AND EXPERIENCED MEMBERS. We have had a lot of junk advice flying around the board lately, and while everyone is certainly welcome to advise others (that's the great thing about a forum), mods and helpers were given this status for a reason. Please, listen to all the advise you are being given. If it conflicts, ask for more detail. You shouldn't have to make confusing decisions. We're more than happy to explain.

And most importantly: DON'T PANIC and DO CHANGE YOUR WATER. We understand you are stressed, and that your fish is ill, but being rash and dumping medications into your tank on a whim will do no good, and may do LOTS of harm. In 99.9% of cases, your fish can wait a few hours while someone reads through your post and gives informed advice. If you feel you absolutely have to do something, do a small to large water change. Anywhere from 25% to 75% (or even 100% if you feel comfortable) will often do lots of good. There is no disease I have ever seen on the boards that DOESN'T benefit from a water change. Remember, the first step should always be a water change! Water is our pet's entire lives. Take care of your water and the water will take care of your fish.

No one likes to find themselves in a situation with a sick fish, but when it happens, we will be here to help you out. Please come to us first, and DON'T TRUST YOUR LPS EMPLOYEE. Unless you know from personal experience that they have knowledge about goldfish in specific (not fish in general, not tropicals, NOT saltwater).

And please remember, the 911 forum is for things like DYING FISH, DROPSIED FISH, CHOKING FISH, etc. Not every day illnesses. If it's not life threatening, it will be moved to the D&D section to allow others with more pressing matters the exposure they need. Also, once your fish is no longer in peril (or has passed) the thread will be moved to the D&D section. It's nothing personal, just trying to keep the boards neater.

• 8 months later...

Hi again, guys!

I wanted to add another thing that I have noticed over the past few days...

I know a lot of us post at the same time, it's unavoidable! But if we could refrain from posting three or four times in a row the whole list of questions, it would make posts much shorter, and easier for the OP to read.

If you happen to notice (after you post) that the list of questions has already been posted, please go back and edit your post to exclude the list (keeping in a reminder to answer the questions is fine!)

Thank you for your help!

:)

• 11 months later...

I'm bumping this thread, as it has been a year, and as always, we've been really fortunate to have gained quite a lot of new members in a year. So, it's worth just reading some reminders from a past moderator of the forum.

I would also like to add that especially in the 911 forums, please try to refrain from posting unless you are adding significantly to the thread, such as helping the OP to answer all the questions, or request more info. Once an administrator, a member of the moderating team, and or an experienced forum member has answered the thread, please give them space to do so, unless you see something that needs adding. (It's nice to confirm diagnosis, but if there is already confirmation, let's leave it at that for the moment.) The reason for this is because in a 911 thread, we want to keep things going smoothly as possible, so that the OP AND the D&D adviser aren't missing something important, and that they don't have to scroll through pages and pages. Once the crisis is over, then of course please do what we always do, which is to come in and show our support. This latter part is what makes Koko's so heartwarming, and it's important to have that. BUT, let's do that once everything has settled down.

Thank you for reading, and for being a part of this this wonderful, friendly, caring, and courteous community.

Alex :)

• 2 months later...

:bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump:

I am bumping this thread, and include a request.

Unless you are a KGW member experienced with D&D on this forum for some time, please be really really careful about making any sort of diagnosis and certainly please refrain from making treatment suggestions. It has happened recently that because of conflicting posts that were actually entirely unnecessary, there have been some confusion and anxiety placed on the poster requesting help, because they now do not know what to do with contradictory/different suggestions. So, please keep this in mind as you go about making a post in D&D and 911. What you can always do to help is to collect information, such as helping the OP to fill out questions at the top, and to gather pics and/or videos. Those things would be tremendously helpful.

I also want to take the opportunity to thank the many experienced KGW members who have lent a hand in the D&D forums. Your help is greatly appreciated always. :)

Have a great day,

Alex

• Admin

:bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump:

I am bumping this thread, and include a request.

Unless you are a KGW member experienced with D&D on this forum for some time, please be really really careful about making any sort of diagnosis and certainly please refrain from making treatment suggestions. It has happened recently that because of conflicting posts that were actually entirely unnecessary, there have been some confusion and anxiety placed on the poster requesting help, because they now do not know what to do with contradictory/different suggestions. So, please keep this in mind as you go about making a post in D&D and 911. What you can always do to help is to collect information, such as helping the OP to fill out questions at the top, and to gather pics and/or videos. Those things would be tremendously helpful.

I also want to take the opportunity to thank the many experienced KGW members who have lent a hand in the D&D forums. Your help is greatly appreciated always. :)

Have a great day,

Alex

:bingo:

• 4 weeks later...

I think it is time for this thread to come to light again as a reminder, as many new members have joined and are eager to contribute in the D&D forums :)

Please remember 911 is for emergencies only, and it is to be kept as short as possible to save confusion for the OP and moderators/helpers, as well as to make sure no information is overlooked.

I also want to add that it is very important to ensure that the questions required for D&D and 911 are answered before suggesting treatment options. This is seeming to become a little overlooked in recent situations

Thanks! :)

Edited by Narny105

Also, please keep in mind that once a mod or a helper has started to monitor a thread, please let them coordinate the treatment suggestions, because we want to have as streamlined a process of helping as possible. If you have treatment suggestions that are different and wish for it to be considered, please make use of the report button.

It's a great sign of an active forum that so many members are available and willing to help. In order to maximize potential and minimize confusion, please let the mod team do the coordinating work. Thank you! :)