Bristle Nose Plecos

Chrissy_Bee

For the first time EVER my lfs has bristle nose plecos. (Baby albinos, to be exact). I know many of you keep them with your goldies and I would love to get one, but are they absolutely safe? I had a very horrible experience years ago with a common and that's not something I ever want to repeat. Opinions please :)

As long as your goldfish are healthy they are not a problem. As soon as they babies are large enough I well be moving a couple into my goldfish tank. Right now the goldfish would eat them. And I have that one extra goldfish in there till spring so it has to be in the pond first too.

only time i ever had a pleco attack a goldie was when one got trapped on the intake tube. but aside from that they were fine. plus if you had space, and something to entertain a pleco, i.e. spots and what not. then it should be fine. especially if they are baby sized. i had a 3-4 inch pleco with goldies a while back. and it was fine. in my 55 tropical tank. i had a common pleco, 6 inch, with smalll fish. no issues. both died though over time. odd deaths. now i have a small 3 inch rubber nose pleco. no issue. i dunno, i guess it can vary. the attitude of the pleco. but i wouldnt worry to much. just keep his belly full and you wont see him munching away on other things.. D:

Well I would NEVER put a common in with goldfish again (very, very disgusting scene years ago) but I think I may try the bristlenose, if there are even any left. That was about 2 weeks ago that I saw them. They were small, but not so tiny that they might get eaten. Besides, George and Penny are pretty slow, I don't think they'd catch one if they wanted to.

From what I read any pleco would attack a goldfish only if the goldfish was sick/injured or if the pleco was starving. Adult plecos that are BIG supposedly can become territorial though.

I don't know what the reason for your bad experience was, but I am very sorry to hear that :( I had my common pleco with the goldis for about one and a half years (because I didn't know any better when I bought them) and luckily never had any trouble. She is in the tropical tank now though because there is much more room for her than in the goldi tank.

A bristlenose pleco should be perfectly fine with goldfish if it has some hiding places and enough food. I read though that bristlenoses TOO might attack a goldfish if it is sick or injured, so in case your goldfish is sick, you might want to consider this too :)

Common plecos well eat the slime off of goldfish when they rest at night. And no idea where you read it but no BN's wont attack or eat the slime off of healthy goldfish.

My common in with my oscar has not done it yet but still young. My first common always tried the eat the slime off my first oscar. They both had scars from all the fighting.

Just want to make sure no one new here gets the wrong idea and tries to keep a common pleco with their goldfish.

Get them!!! I have five long finned albino babies, around 1 inch, with Ike and Stan and they are all doing fine. Someone had said that the BN couldn't be with the goldies though since they are cold water fish, but my 5 are in 65 degree water.

Bristlenose plecos are absolutely fine with goldfish. Attacks by BN plecos are very rare and the cases involved mostly sick or severely injured goldfish. No reason why you cannot attempt both together. You can also try rubberlipped plecos and clown plecos (Panaque maccus). Whiptails would have been appropriate but their head size makes them out of question for goldfish with very wide mouths.

I have had 2 Albinos in my Goldie tank, When I added them they were about 1 inch long, The male is 4 inches long and the female 3 inches long, been mixed for about 6 months. They all get along just fine, in fact mine seem to be scared of the goldies.

Thanks for the input everyone, if I get a chance this week I'm going to go see if the lfs still has the babies.

Common plecos well eat the slime off of goldfish when they rest at night.

Exactly. I had one with my goldfish for a year or so. He was very tiny at first but quickly grew to over 5 inches. I often saw him chasing the fish. At the time I didn't know what he was doing, but now I know he was going for their slime coats (despite being well fed). He ended up eating the eyes out of one of my fantails :(

Oh... get them get them!!

BN are great with goldfish and pretty much with any fish - coldwater or tropical. I currently have around 14 of them in my goldie tank - including albino babies ranging from a tiny half inch to 2 inches, 2 small albino adults (the babies' parents) and one BIG fully grown black male around 6 - 7 inches.

The only time mine have ever shown any sort of aggression toward the goldfish is when the male has been guarding eggs and the goldies swim too close to the cave - even then, all he does is back up at them and wave his tail or chase them away - thats it!

If you do get BN, driftwood in the tank is a must as it's essential to their diet :)

Oh... get them get them!!

BN are great with goldfish and pretty much with any fish - coldwater or tropical. I currently have around 14 of them in my goldie tank - including albino babies ranging from a tiny half inch to 2 inches, 2 small albino adults (the babies' parents) and one BIG fully grown black male around 6 - 7 inches.

The only time mine have ever shown any sort of aggression toward the goldfish is when the male has been guarding eggs and the goldies swim too close to the cave - even then, all he does is back up at them and wave his tail or chase them away - thats it!

If you do get BN, driftwood in the tank is a must as it's essential to their diet :)

Sorry, was too late to edit, but that should read 4 - 5 inches (about 15cm) :)

The driftwood aids in their digestion and aparantly helps in the development of juveniles - plus they really love it! Couldn't you just have a very small piece in your tank? I dont know what would happen if they didnt have it... maybe they would be malnourished?? I really dont know... hmmmm :hummm

I dont know about others' experiences with driftwood, but I have quite alot of driftwood in my tank and my PH is always a stable 7.6 - same as my tap water, so I haven't found the driftwood to affect my PH at all...

Try this bristlenose site - it might have some helpful info :)

http://www.bristlenoseworld.com/forum.htm

I dont think it is a must have but they do like it. I have a very small peice in my 29 with my babies but rarely see them on it. They spend most the time on my amazon and the gravel.

I had driftwood cause a serious pH crash once, so ever since I have avoided it. With a pH of 7.0 and kH of 0, I can't risk it. I remember my old common did LOVE driftwood though. I'll have to do a little research, thanks for the link.

BN plecos should be fine without driftwoods.

Really? Oh that's interesting they dont "need" it!

Chrissy Bee - in that case you should definitley get one (or two LOL). They are really awsome and they will definitely not harm your fish :)

I have always gone with the view (just through reading various literature) that it was essential to their diet. Mine all LOVE their driftwood and spend much time on it daily :wub:

To be honest however, I have noticed that my new guy - a fully grown male which Ive only had for several weeks, is very rarely on it.

I just wanted to say... about 5 months ago, my albino male had bloat disease and I had no idea why. It was after he had 2 spawns in a row and I moved him to separate a tank away from the female for a holiday. The tank was cycled and at the time had about 60 or so BN fry in it - it was my "grow out" tank. The water was clean and well maintained and all the babies were doing great - so I could only conclued his problem was stress related. His abdomen blew up like a huge, almost clear balloon with a large pea-sized bubble protruding from his anus and for a long time refused any food. I thought he was literally going to burst at any second and I was certain he would die.

Anyway... the point of my story LOL is that he spent 3 solid weeks during his illness sucking on a piece of driftwood and I often wonder if it was the nutritional benifit of the driftwood that saved his life - like he knew what his little body needed at the time. Anyway.... that was a long time ago now. It took quite a while, but he made a full recovery and is now as happy as ever. :D

So perhaps they dont "need" driftwood, but I strongly believe they must benifit from it greatly :)

I'll have to do more research. I do believe you that driftwood is great for them, I just won't put it in my goldie tank again so I'll have to decide what's best for all the fish.

I may stop by the lfs today to see if there are even any of the little guys left :)

Did you get one Chrissy? :)

My pleco likes Mopani wood. He lives on it, even though he has his cave he prefers to hang upside down on the Mopani wood. It hasn't ever brought my pH down and I have horrible low kH.

Be careful with temperature, they really do die in lower temps as I found to my horror when the tank thermostat broke and the temp in winter plunged to 16 from 22, lost dozens of babyplecs and an adult :(. It was so horrible. The Father plec I found clinging to the heater bar upside down, salvaging the remnants of heat on the bar...to this day, I attribute his survival to his high IQ for having found this and done that .

Years ago I had a BN nibble on the fins of a pearlscale who was very sickly and tophanging upside down. She was actually hanging close to where the cucumber on a suction clip was so I felt it wasn't really a deliberate malicious act .....as for the healthy goldies, my plecs were always terrified of them! Hid when they came close.

I saw little brittlenoses for the first time a wile ago. And I have to admit, they are cool fish. Albino must be double the amount of cool.

But I'm not planning on adding anything to my tank.

It is 'full', my fish clean the biggest part of the algae themselves. And my Godzilla is a nipper on 'bad days' . Nomen est omen :rofl

I also think these guys are cool - my boyfriend absolutely LOVES the huge ones! But the need caves and such so I don't think I will get one for the goldie tank. And I am way too phobic of driftwood!

How would you QT these types of fish tho? I really know nothing about them. How long does it take them to reach there full size?

I saw little brittlenoses for the first time a wile ago. And I have to admit, they are cool fish. Albino must be double the amount of cool.

But I'm not planning on adding anything to my tank.

It is 'full', my fish clean the biggest part of the algae themselves. And my Godzilla is a nipper on 'bad days' . Nomen est omen :rofl

Miki, we are going to need a translation of that :rofl, although I have a hunch its going to be something like "ITS MINE " :feedme

It's Latin. it means that giving a name can result in the name having an effect on the named one.

I've named my biggest comet Godzilla and over time she lived up to it. :doh11: