U.k. Bec's Blog!

Rebecca Hampshire

So I guess the place to start would be back in 2004. I had just finished decorating my living room and after quite some observation and discussion, I decided something was missing! :unsure:

I had a look online and I found myself becoming more and more interested in purchasing a complete aquarium kit! I had kept furry pets before, cats, dogs, guinea pigs, hamsters but never fish!!!

I really liked the look of the BiOrb, so I bought the biggest one I could get, set it up then a couple of days later I got a fish then a month or two later I got him a friend! I kept them for a couple of months, in the mean time I found this AMAZING site and joined, back in those days I was called "fishey-wishey." :rolleyes:

Well as time went on and after research I knew my tank was not good enough for goldfish regardless what it says on the box and in the instructions! I knew I would eventually need a bigger tank, with much better filtration!!! ;)

I had an orange fantail called Fantasia, and a calico fantail called Thierry, I went on holiday for three weeks leaving my neighbour to pop in and feed the fish whilst we were away. When I returned both fish had passed away, through no fault of my neighbour, just the poor set up and three weeks without a water change was probably the cause! I cleaned the tank and put it in the garage. :(

Well then my life litarally fell apart! :o

Two weeks before Christmas my husband (of seven years) told me he wanted a divorce (he was having an affair!) I moved back in with my parents, then he wanted me to go and fetch all my things, so I came back with the tank. I put the tank in storage still unsure of what to do with it, and tried to get on with my life!

:) A year past and my life had turned around! I got divorced, I had bought a new flat and me and Steve were officially together and I was smilling again! I lived on my own in my flat and it felt quite lonely, so I decided to set up the tank. I had a couple of fish die, then I got serious!!! :D

I went to my lfs and got the employee to choose me a fast healthy fish and luckily for me he chose Hercules, a calico fantail small and skinny, but I didn't care, I was determined to give him the best life I could! :D

I don't want to bore you all so this is to be continued.............................

Edited by U.K. Becs

O.K.!!!

So I brought the little fishy home and after all of my fishy disasters, I didn't want to give him a name. So I plopped him in the tank, and he was off! Every time I walked passed his tank he always did his little fishy dance, but I was really stricked with his feeding and I kept on top of his water changes and he did rather well. My only problem with keeping fish was that I hated (and still do) putting my hand in the tank to do cleaning and maintenence. :peeka

I came back to Koko's but I decided to become a new member because I felt like a different person, I asked Koko to delete my old user name. I was greated by LOTS of really lovely members and very quickly this place became a part of my life! Often waking up in the middle of the night to check what was happening here!

So Hercules was doing well and I fell in to the trap and I got him a new friend! :doh11:

The new one came with fish lice and didn't live for very long! One night I was sitting next to the tank and I noticed that Hercules had fish lice too!!! :yikes I had no clue what to do. I went to my lfs and got some stuff to put in the tank and as soon as I added it Herc sank like a stone, I thought he was a gonner for sure! :o

Quickly I emptied the tank and refilled as quick as can be! :fishtank:

I came on here and Lupin told me what to do but that involved picking Hercules up using my hands then using tweezers to pull the lice off! NO WAY could I ever do that! :idont

Anyway, Steve said that he would do it no probs, and he did! Thats when I decided to give this little trooper a name and Hercules seemed to fit perfectly! :nana

At that point I decided I was not going to get Hercules any new friends until I upgraded my tank!

Hope thats enough for now! :thumb:

I know it's weird but I can't! I love watching them and I like to get up close to the glass, as near to them as possible. But I don't like my hands near them! They are really quick and some times they catch me out, the other day Herc kissed my thumb and I nearly had a heart attack! I had to sit down for a few mins! I was totally freaked out! :unsure:

I thought I would get better with them but I haven't! :krazy:

Im the same way! I love to watch them and I don't mind sticking my hand in the tank but I watch those little buggers like a hawk. Ooh and the thought of picking one up skeeves me out. I am getting a little better though.

Loving your story. Can't wait for the next installment :)

Edited by molbert73

So then one weekend Steve was away on a stag do, so I was having a mooch around having a little retail therapy. I went in to pets@home, had a look in their tanks and saw the most AMAZING fish :wub: ! It was a very purple oranda, it was very chubby and it looked rather healthy, there was a problem with one of it's gill covers and one of it's fins was torn, but I have to say I fell in love with it straight away! :heart

I did the sensible thing and had a think about it for a while, I wanted to sleep on it! I left it in the shop and I came home, I knew deep down that it would be a bad idea to add yet another fish and Hercules was my priority. I posted on here and some people said I should get her and some people thought it was a bad idea! (I decided she was a girl and I even named her on the way home in the car :gcar: , her name was Lavender!) I didn't sleep all night for thinking about her, she was soooooooo beautiful! I have never had a fish "talk" to me quite like she did!

So after a very wrestless night I decided I was not going to go back for her, at the time I hardly had any spare cash so I knew I was a long time away from an upgrade. After I made my decision I felt much better. But I will never forget that special fishy, and boy do I regret not getting her! Little did I know there was a tank out there with my name on it! :fishtank:

Edited by U.K. Becs

Oh I can't tell you how torn I was! One minute I was like "I am going to get her-I NEED her!!!" then the next minute I was like " No way!" :( Such a hard decision! But at the time it was the right decision cos it would have been a squeeze for both fish, and after everything Herc had been through I wanted him to have the BEST life I could give him! :)

I am always on the look out for a lavender but I haven't come across that many, there was one who was vey sick so I didn't get that one either! Fins crossed there will be one in my future! ;)

oh what a wonderful story! this is getting gooooood! poor little Lavender!

BTW I am a little like you. I am not TOO crazy about touching the fish! I only do it for moving fish or if they are sick and I HAVE to touch them! Can really live without the slime ahahahah

aah bless ,be nice if you could meet up with lavendar again one day.

im the same bit scared to touch shadow ,when i put my hand i the tank the other day he/she rubbed against my hand ,i got a fright lol lol

my hand came out quicker than it went in lol

BTW I am a little like you. I am not TOO crazy about touching the fish! I only do it for moving fish or if they are sick and I HAVE to touch them! Can really live without the slime ahahahah

I think goldfish feel like satin/silk. Very soft, smooth and silky

Edited by Quasi

As mine and Steve's relationship was blossoming and following our engagement, we were spending more and more time at his place, I went back to my flat a couple of days a week, during this time I would do my weekly water change, but I felt like I was not giving Hercules any quality time, love or attention. :(

Steve is not really an animal lover but I twisted his arm so he let me move Hercules and the tank over to his house! Steve's house is less than a five minute drive away from my flat so one weekend I plopped Herc in to a bucket and drove over with Herc in the bucket on Steve's knee! He got absolutely soaking wet!!! :rofl

Hercules seemed to really like Steve's, he would often watch the TV but his favourite thing was to watch who ever was doing the ironing! He was sooooooo funny and cute! :heart

After a few months I was talking about the inevitable upgrade. I started pricing up decent tanks but I soon realised that I would have to save up for a very long time to be able to afford the tank of my dreams! :o:(

:angelstaf: Then one day, Sarah (Devilduck) was talking about upgrading her tank, Jayne (a fellow Kokonut) said that her husband actually makes tanks and she told Sarah that she had a spare tank just sitting there at the factory. She said that she would sell the tank for ?25 and that she also had a canister filter for sale also for ?25!!! Sarah decided that it was too far for her to travel, not wanting to step on Sarah's toes I asked if it would be ok with her if I had the tank, but only if she definitely didn't want it!!! She said it was fine with her. I could not believe my luck!!! We dumped some of Steve's furniture to make room and then we arranged to drive to Birmingham and go and pick it up!!! :D:happydance:bounce:panana:hi5:clapping::Jig:

CAN YOU IMAGINE MY EXCITEMENT!

This all happened in the worst weather possible, last January we had such bad snow, I had to keep re-aranging the tank pick up date with Jayne cos as soon as the snow looked like clearing it would dump a load more down! :cold:

I was soooooooooo frustrated, I could hardly sleep with excitement!

:gcar: So the satnav took us to Birmingham on a cold winter's day, luckily it had stopped snowing and all the major routes were snow-free! It took forever to get there, but when we finally arrived, I was soooooooo giddy! :happydance

When we arrived at Jayne's aquatic/glass factory, we were greated by Jayne Who was just lovely and I felt like I was with an old friend :) ! Firstly she took me to see the tank, when I walked in to the factory I didn't realise the tank in front of me was now my tank. It was HUGE!!!! I was expecting an old scratched up tank but it was AMAZING! It just needed a little scrubbing and cleaning up. I was soooooooooooo happy with it I was bursting with excitement! I was not sure we would be able to squeeze it in the car but Jayne's hubby managed to get it in there along with the cabinet! :fishtank

Then we had a tour around the aquatic shop. I saw lots of awsome fish (all marine!) Jayne even offered for me to tickle the sting-ray, but I was too much of a wuss to do that!!!

I bought some filter floss for the canister and after an hour or so we were on our way again!

When we arrived home it was dark and dealing with the tank was proving difficult! IT WAS SOOOOOO VERY HEAVY!!! We managed to get it inside and I filled it with water to make sure it was water tight. I hardly slept that following night because I was sooooooo excited to get the new tank all set up, I couldn't wait! :zz:tbanana