This Heater Is Driving Me Crazy!

Ok, I got a heater today because it is just getting too cold here and my temp is not staying stable anymore. My lfs didn't have a lot of selection. I got a 300 watt Hagen Elite Submersible heater. It seems pretty straightforward. But the dratted thing won't stay on! It comes on and then shuts off after maybe five minutes. It's acting like I would expect if it was only trying to maintain the water temp, but my tank has dropped down to 68 and I was aiming to bring it up to at least 72 or so. I turned the heater up to 76 hoping maybe that would help, but it didn't change anything. I have tried it in two different parts of the tank in case maybe the amount of water flow or current was making a difference. The water temp has not raised one bit since I put it in there!

weird! Hagen usually makes good things. I have the fluval ones and they work well (I think it also belongs to hagen)

anyways, mine usually also keep the light on for very short periods once the water temp is reached. What type of thermometer do you have? How large is your tank? 300watt is pretty powerful tho... strange it wouldn't work.

The tank is 75 gallons. The thermometer is the glass suction cup kind, and I've moved it around too. I don't have a lot of experience with heaters. But I'm pretty sure this one is not working the way it should! I have a cheap hang on the edge heater in the 30g tank with the QT fish and it is working better than this one!

That is very strange. Usually they do turn on and off to maintain the set temp. but I don't know why the temp. would drop like that. I use Hydor, they're affordable and reliable thus far. I have 3 and have not had any problems. Perhaps it's just that certain one? Maybe it's defected. :o

Edited by Kateana

i have a tetra heater, at least i think its tetra, anyways, the light turns on and off when it neeeds to change the temp to maintain it. which i assume a lot of heaters do. but if the temps are dropping. maybe something is wrong. have you tried contacting hagen?

I have a heater, but I've always hesitated to use it. I have all my tanks in the living room. We maintain the temperature at 70 degrees in the house during the winter. Do you think the goldfish actually need the heat? For some reason, I was under the impression that it is actually good to let the water temp follow the seasons (as in warmer in summer and cooler in winter).

The hydor heaters aren't available here, unfortunately. I was really dissapointed in the selection at my local lfs's. I really didn't want to order online because the temp change in just the last few days has been noticible, and I want to get it stable asap.

dnalex: Yes, we keep our room temperature at around 70 as well, but that isn't stopping my water temperature from plummeting with the cold weather. My tank is by an outside wall next to a window and it is 18*F outside right now. So, yes, I think they need the heat.

I think the heater has managed to raise the temp by not quite one line on the thermometer. It has been in there for 36 hours or so. It is still only staying on for a minute or two at a time despite the fact that the water temp is nowhere near the "desired temperature setting". I think I am not happy with it. The lfs also carried Aquaclear ones (also by Hagen, but a little more expensive) so maybe I will try one of those?