Sophie Got Stuck On Filter Intake ..

spillie

Poor Sophie, my recently re-pineconed oranda, has been in the 10 G QT for about a week with epsom and warmer (78 degree) water and MM. Still is upside down a lot (she always is) but the pineconing stopped within a day of being put in the QT. The last day she has been hanging next to filter intake (between it and the corner of the tank). I thought she was in a spot comfortable for her as she often finds a place under a fake plant or something to rest upside down. However, when I changed the water tonight, I realized she was stuck to it. Her wen is damaged and she must have been stuck to her side as well earlier, as she has lost a swath of color on her scales on her side--no longer orange, looks almost white. What should I do? Take the epsom out and replace it with salt? Can I mix salt and epsom (currently 1/8 teasp /ten gallons, was 1/4 teasp. 10 gallons the past few days). I've moved the filter intake away from the corner so as to remove the spot where she got wedged...

Hey Amy, I think you're remembering my vet. Her name is Amy also! She said regular salt is good to use when the fish has dropsy because it helps the kidneys osmoregulate.

Spillie, I think you should get some fine filter floss and wrap it around the filter intake asap. That's what I had to do in QT for Padme after she got stuck on the intake. It has worked really well for her. After she got stuck her fins were shredded and she had a color-less patch too. I added salt at .1% and her fins started to regrow immediately. Her dropsy went down on salt and mm's, but I'm still waiting on the color-less patch to look normal.

Do a full water change before you add the regular salt, because it's not good to mix it with epsom.

Yes I agree salting will help for both the regrowth of tissue and the reason that sakura stated. When the fish has dropsy osmoregulation is off and it really helps destress the kidneys. How long has the epsom been in? Don't keep it in for longer than 8 days.

Epson always worked for Dr.House - in 2 days her scales would be normal. But never ever keep it more that 5-8, I have seen fish not able to absorb nutrients from food because it was kept in too long. And they would loose all their weight. :( I am not trying salt with my dropsy fish who didn't respond to epson or medicated food. I was advised to go up to at least 0.3 and as high as 0.6%. (I will be trying 0.3-0.4 but not any more)

Thanks so much, everyone. I did cover the filter intake with some filter floss, as Amy sugegsted last night, before I went to bed, but when I woke up this AM, she was dead. I might have euthenized her today, as she looked miserable, but she took that decision for me. It's like Sakura said once before, once they have dropsy, they seem to get it again. During the first dropsy round a month and a half ago, brought on by a dramatic and sudden drop in water temp in the tank (my fault, I feel so bad..), she did not eat for a few days, then recovered. This time, though, she did not, even though the pineconing was only starting and subsided very soon.

One strange thing I noticed with both her and Scooter, who died a few weeks ago during the first round , was that their usually quite round bellies (they were both those round bodied orandas from Ken) looked like they deflated. It was really strange --maybe the epsom, but I had a minimal dose with scooter (1/8 teasp /10 gallons), same with Sophie at first though upped it to 1/4 teasp/10g a few days ago as she was not eating. But they flattened out -- I don't know why. Epsom was in for about 7 days, this odd deflation happened this time after about 4, I think, around the time she stopped eating.

I'm going to go bury her next to Scooter and Hugo now... RIP little Sophie.