White Spots On Luna

Sakura

I just think that if it was water related they would all have the same symptoms - which with you is more dropsy linked?

The clamping and bottom sitting is only these guys? And then in the other tank Ino with the Dropsy?

So then I do think the ich just came in with the plants from the petstore? But then why didn't the guys in the other tank get it? DIfferent boxed plants?

I would continue the salt at 0.3 tho. If you are now at 0.3 - going down to 0 is going to stress them out even more. At 0.3 it really shouldn't be what stresses them.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sakura, I know this is terribly worrying, and it seems hard to diagnose the problem or the source of the problem. Have you PMed Trinket? Or contacted your fish doctor up where you are? I think at this point, if you can get someone to examine/scrape the fish, that might be best as there are so many unknowns.. Getting the wrong med into in the water at this point is not what you need, I don't think. I hate to see see you go through this and hope you can get some clear answers and get this kicked, whatever it is.

Good idea Spillie. I just emailed my fish vet, I'm thinking she'll get back to me sometime tomorrow. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I don't think she travels to do scrapes, I think I would have to bring a fish to her, which I want to avoid if possible. It's going to be at least $70 if I have her do any work at all on the fish (even just a scrape), so I do not want to resort to this :(

I just sent Imo a FB message too.

I'm so unsure what to do now. The whole reason I was doing a 100% water change was to get the salt out so I could try some kind of med (like copper maybe). I don't think I can use salt with any other med that I'm thinking of using. I guess I figured it wouldn't stress them too much to go from .25 to 0 salt. I think it's more stressful the other way- if you add all that salt at once. That's just my thought.

p.s. I have to euth Padme today too :cry1

Ok then. If filling out the survey isn't important and everything is still the same as the previous survey, then my gut is telling me it is Flex (Columnaris). To me, I think you have an advanced case, the fish will need antibiotics.

Flex is mostly an external infection, I would try bath antibiotics like Maracyn Plus or Jungle Fungus Clear. I have read that potassium permanganate is a very effective flex treatment, but it needs to be used with caution as it is a strong oxidizer and could put a very sick fish in danger of death. Ive heard some strains of flex can be extremely hard to treat.

I hope your fish get better. You poor thing :(

Don't you think there would be more external symptoms if it was columnaris?

No. It hasn't happened to be but it happened to someone I know. Fuzzy white spots, bottom sitting, then passing away (or going to college as I say it). It ended up being Columnaris. However, in the same tank one of the fish had Ich too, so it was hard to tell. Maybe you could possibly have an advanced case of Ich if you are certain it isn't Columnaris. Columnaris can happen just from a cut or a scrape in the fish.

Curious, what color are the gills of the sick fish???

I think you should do a large w/c - take out the prazi, keep the salt and turn on the UV for the time being. I think that if you start adding the wrong meds and Imo suggests something else you might run into more problems. :)

I have never seen columnaris - but I have seem pic of fish totally covered in a flakey white slime.

I think you should do a large w/c - take out the prazi, keep the salt and turn on the UV for the time being. I think that if you start adding the wrong meds and Imo suggests something else you might run into more problems. :)

I have never seen columnaris - but I have seem pic of fish totally covered in a flakey white slime.

i agree w/ this at the moment. I am (of course) not 100 % positive on columnaris or ich it's just my gut, esp from reading all the posts.

Also still curious on gill color....

I would do the w/c,add nothing-no salt-and just watch them very closely for say 1 hr. IF they seem better-it's 1 of the treatments-IF they start to look a tad worse-you can always add stuff 1 thing at a time. Throwing meds in willy-nilly is the worst thing you can do! Copper,from what I've read,has it's own dangers.....

At least,before adding anything-they JUST had white spots,right? Or just 1 of them did?

Sakura, I am so sorry. This is awful. And they do look very unhappy. It says to me that something quickly changed in their environment that they didn't like. Forgive me for being ignorant here because I know nothing of PH issues, but I wonder if your PH (even once it is brought up) fluctuates enough once in the tank to cause problems?

I've noticed that Merryweather is bottomsitting with the prazi, but she is still eating fine and active during food time...how about yours?

Is copper what Ken suggested in the past? I know that Kukana uses Nitro Green (is that right?) with her DO fish and it works well for her.

Now, all that said, let's think about the possibility of a long time ago one of your fish bringing something in with them. That is essentially what happened to me with the ulcers. A new fish that was in QT fine for a month. Then introduced in the main tank and it got the first ulcer, once I lost Toto, Kansas followed, then Scarecrow, then Ursula, then Tinman and finally and eventually Walley. I did everything. I bought espensive meds, formalin dipped them, medicated food, antiparasite food, bio bandage, literally everything and they were dropping like flies. Eventually I just gave up and sterilized everything, killed my cycle, and bought a new tank. I really don't know if I would have ever gotten rid of it otherwise. And I went through all of the possibilities, but the most obvious one is that Toto brought something in that I couldn't get rid of.

But I agree. An uncyled tank poses the biggest threat for fish. So I wouldn't do that unless you had healthy media you could borrow (like I was able to from my friend's tank). I do think I would be open to an extreme measure down the road, but if they are eating fine than I wouldn't jump into that. Just keep it in the back of your mind.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. It will be hard to reply to all of you.

I just got off the phone with Ken, who gave me his thoughts. He says to drain the tank as much as I can with still giving the fish room to be in there. Then refill it super slowly (over the course of many hours). This way it will be slow enough that the change in salt won't shock them. Then he thinks I need to use QuickCure. He also suggested copper or nitro green, but he thinks QuickCure will be the best in this case. He says I should try that for a couple days at least and see if it helps. He really doesn't know what else the white spots could be, but yet he was surprised that they responded to the salt so quickly because ich normally doesn't do that...

Oh great you got hold of him! I hope this turns around quick for you! Best wishes!

I know nothing of QUickCure but I trust he knows best :)

Yeah he said he was just basically guessing too without being able to do a scrape :( But that was his best suggestion, and I know nobody is perfect, but he has lots of experience so I do trust his advice.

Edited by Sakura

I am sure you could do a few scrapes yourself and send pictures to him of what you find. Do you know nobody with a microscope?

Sakura I am so sorry about Padme. Do you think all of this could be in relation to what Fuu had so long ago? Was she ever in one of the main tanks? I would definitely do what Ken suggests and hopefully he can hold onto the fish for you.

Sakura I am so sorry about Padme. Do you think all of this could be in relation to what Fuu had so long ago? Was she ever in one of the main tanks? I would definitely do what Ken suggests and hopefully he can hold onto the fish for you.

Yep, adding new fish is a bad idea. I don't know the whole story about Fuu but from what I see there might something be in your tank/s that keeps affecting your fish. Maybe you should invest into a new tank for the new fish, if you have to have more fish right now.

After all four out of your nine fish are sick right now, and Padme will have to be euthanized. So more than half of your current fish is ill, that is a bad sign. :(

That way the newbies won't come in contact with anything from the sick tank and have better chances, hopefully. :)

I'm so glad you caught him. I think Quick Cure is a catch all med...it can be pretty strong, but I think the big guns are smart in your case. Now this is a suggestion I wouldn't normally make, but do you have MMs? It may be worth putting everyone on them as another catch all. Please, know that isn't a suggestion I usually make...I try for the low med policy, but in this case that may be good in combination with the Quick Cure.