White Spots On Luna

Sakura

I know, he said he hasn't seen ich on any of his fish in over a year! And I've never had ich on any of my fish. He didn't say it was for sure ich, he just said that from the photos and my description it sounded like ich.

I wonder if ich could have been brought in on the plants I bought. They were in those dry containers with gel over the roots. I cleaned them off and rinsed in vinegar before putting them in the tank. I think I bleached some, but just used vinegar on others. I don't remember for sure. But the weird thing is that I'm pretty sure the ryukins have been exposed to all the plants that are currently in the 75g tank as well, but they don't have any of these weird white spots.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sort of was thinking of the plants before. Lets say that IF it is ich you have 2 options - 1. they came with the fish - okay you need to use the meds. 2. they came on the plants and you could try to salt at 0.3 as hopefully it isn't a salt resistant strain.

I so hope it is option 2. I would love if you could just salt and keep your UV on to control any of the free swimming ones!

It is strange tho, because, if I remember correctly when my guys had ich they had it mostly on the tail - like the tail was FULL and nothing on the body. Once Archie even had a spot on the pupil (gross), but nothing/ or not much on the body... You guys have them mostly on their backs right?

I do know that I thought mine had ich at first and brought the salt up to .03%% and the only thing new added to the tank was some plants but i had bleached them @ 1/19 as well...the only other thing bothering me was how it looked different though... not like salt but more like pimples and then their slime coat started shredding :( and Blizzard and Clemmy started turning that weird pinkish color :( I would trust ken as he has vast experience with goldfish, But trust your gut too, as your there with your fish and know what looks right and what doesn't...

I do hope it is only ich and that the salt and heat will take care of it quickly :)

I sort of was thinking of the plants before. Lets say that IF it is ich you have 2 options - 1. they came with the fish - okay you need to use the meds. 2. they came on the plants and you could try to salt at 0.3 as hopefully it isn't a salt resistant strain.

That exactly what I was thinking. :) Yeah, it's on the fins, but it's also very much on the body too. It started on the fins though.

Thanks Shell, and again I am so sorry about what happened to your guys :heart

I just got home from classes and taking the crowded train and buses to the parking lot, and then driving home in stop-and-go traffic! All in the nice toasty 2 degree weather we're having! :doh11: I can't feel my feet!

Anyways, I brought the salt up to .2% this morning, and I must say Luna is starting to look better. The spots are fading in a splotchy way rather than just simply falling off (just another reason why I think this can't be ich!). I have decided I'm going to keep going with the salt and bring it up to .3%. I really hope they don't relapse, but only keep getting better! I think I'll keep the salt at .3% for two weeks even if all the symptoms disappear, since I haven't salted them at all yet and I think it would be good for them. They all seem active and happy, as usual! :) I am encouraged.

Yay! Good news! It's excellent that the salt is responding, I agree I would keep it at 0.3% until it is gone completely and the 2 weeks like you said to ensure it's all gone. I would still vacuum the bottom and make it spotless (even though it already is) just incase some things do decide to fall off.

oh my you must be freezing you butt off!!!!! hot chocolate time!!!!!!

I am so glad they seem to be doing better! At least you aren't dealing with 'the D word'. Let's just hope it's something funky from the plants and it gets a quick fix! :angel:

Anyways, I brought the salt up to .2% this morning, and I must say Luna is starting to look better. The spots are fading in a splotchy way rather than just simply falling off (just another reason why I think this can't be ich!). I have decided I'm going to keep going with the salt and bring it up to .3%. I really hope they don't relapse, but only keep getting better! I think I'll keep the salt at .3% for two weeks even if all the symptoms disappear, since I haven't salted them at all yet and I think it would be good for them. They all seem active and happy, as usual! :) I am encouraged.

This fantastic news. Hope it keeps going this way.

My feet have been freezing all day.

Thanks Allie!

So I am seeing at least a few white spotty things on every fish in the tank now. The red patches on their fins are definitely there now, it was not just my imagination. I re-tested ammonia and nitrite, but they are both still zero.

The red fins are worrying me :( There are just patches of fins that have a red "rash" look to them, and then in other places there are bright red veins starting to show up, even in the fish that didn't have this before. I wonder if the salt could be irritating them?

Oh dear... I don't think it is the salt tho - since you were seeing them before you salted right? How bad is it? I once used MediGold for Chunky MOnkey when he had TERRIBLY torn and red fins. It is your call if you want to use them. How are their colors? Still nice and bright? Everyone acting alright?

Colors are still pretty bright. Everyone is acting well except for Serafina. Ever since I added more salt to make it .3%, she seems distressed. :( It's hard to tell though because she's normally a bottom-sitter anyways, but she seems to be sitting out of distress more than laziness now. I'll have to keep an eye on her, and if she gets worse, do a water change to bring the salt back down to .2%.

I actually noticed the redness in the fins starting after going up to .1% salt. I guess it could be related to the salt, and it could not. I think it's hard to tell for sure. :undecided:

I'm going to sleep now, but I'll be back with updates tomorrow!

I hope they will be fine! Unless your water and salt aren't good together it shouldn't be a problem for them - they are used to way worse :)

Colors are still pretty bright. Everyone is acting well except for Serafina. Ever since I added more salt to make it .3%, she seems distressed. :( It's hard to tell though because she's normally a bottom-sitter anyways, but she seems to be sitting out of distress more than laziness now. I'll have to keep an eye on her, and if she gets worse, do a water change to bring the salt back down to .2%.

I actually noticed the redness in the fins starting after going up to .1% salt. I guess it could be related to the salt, and it could not. I think it's hard to tell for sure. :undecided:

I'm going to sleep now, but I'll be back with updates tomorrow!

Hi Sakura, I haven't fished reading all of the pages in the thread but I will - I wanted to get my 2 cents in there (and if it was repeated I apologize)

Do you think it could be Saprolegnia (fungus)? Or Flex (bacteria)? Even though it could look like a fungus, it could be a bacteria. From what you described from your initial post it sounds like Flex... maybe?

I can't find the thread but it was about those white spots that you occasionally see on the fish's tail. Maybe take the plants out one by one and quarantine them. She's eating well though right? I feel so abd because you've been having all this trouble lately with them :(

Yeah, they look exactly like that! Except they're all over her body and fins :( Yep, nothing in her behavior has changed yet and she still eats well. I wonder if bringing salt up to .3% would help, but I want to hear from Ken first before I do anything. All I know is, that would be a heck of a lot of salt! :yikes

OK now I am even more thinking it is Flex.... due to what Haruka is saying...

Photos and video do look like Ich to me, however, what you are describing, does not sound like Ich to me - it sounds like Flex. (sorry I just now read all 4 pages). For Flex, I have heard (now I have never salted my tank before) that 3 teaspoons per gallon will keep the flex from sticking to the fish - but I *do not* know if that is accurate. I also think you need antibiotics for treating flex too.

Sakura if they're color is still good i think maybe your heading in the right direction,one of the things I noticed with mine is they all got very pale/drab in their coloring plus the redish pink in the lighter colored ones :( so lets keep thinking positive here :)

Thanks Shell! Yeah their color still looks great! Serafina is still sitting on the bottom looking unhappy :( I think she just doesn't like the salt, so maybe I will only keep it at .3% for one week, and then go down to .2% for the next week.

The good news is that pretty much all of the spots are already all gone from Luna, and I'm seeing less spots on the others too! I'm still thinking it's not ich, because they kind of faded rather than simply falling off like ich would.

Auryn, isn't flex the same thing as columnaris? I don't really have experience with either, but I agree that this seems to be either some external fungal or bacterial thing. For now I'll hold off on antibiotics since they seem to be improving with just the salt. But I do have a few different medicated foods and also water meds to choose from should I need to :)

I am so glad the spots are getting better. :)

I was going to ask the same thing- isn't Flex also called Columnaris? Or Black Molly disease? I had some Mollies that I suspect had Columnaris and it didn't look like tiny white dots, but I am no expert. ;)

Edited by Grace

Thanks Shell! Yeah their color still looks great! Serafina is still sitting on the bottom looking unhappy :( I think she just doesn't like the salt, so maybe I will only keep it at .3% for one week, and then go down to .2% for the next week.

The good news is that pretty much all of the spots are already all gone from Luna, and I'm seeing less spots on the others too! I'm still thinking it's not ich, because they kind of faded rather than simply falling off like ich would.

Auryn, isn't flex the same thing as columnaris? I don't really have experience with either, but I agree that this seems to be either some external fungal or bacterial thing. For now I'll hold off on antibiotics since they seem to be improving with just the salt. But I do have a few different medicated foods and also water meds to choose from should I need to :)

Yes it's the same, but Flex is easier to type ;) I havent had experience with either, either. I wouldn't medicate the fish just yet, I agree.... but if they do have that bacterial infection, it can weaken their immune system so that it is harder for them to fight off other things, like the red blotches (septicemia can also come in blotches not always red streaks... or Fin Congestion but you have good water quality so I doubt the redness is that)

@ Auryn: That makes sense, because I noticed the red streaks after I noticed the white spots. But now that the white spots are fading, the red streaks seem to be fading as well. So either they were the same issue, or one was causing the other or allowing it to happen. Thankfully they both seem to be going away for the time being :)

@Haruka: Yeah! This has taught me a new appreciation for salt :)