Sign in to follow this  
Sakura

White Spots On Luna

Hey guys, thanks for all the comments and concerns. I still haven't heard from Ken :( I'm starting to think he may be out of town this weekend, darn! Today the spots are still there.

It may just be my imagination, but I think she seems to be holding her dorsal fin down a little more than usual like she might be feeling slightly off. Still nobody else is affected in the slightest.

Everyone seems to be saying salt is the thing to try, so I think I will do that. I don't have any, so I'll have to go out and get some, I hope the roads are better today. Yesterday we had a blizzard! What about the plants though? Last time I salted a tank with plants, they all melted. I really don't want that to happen again because these plants are doing so well for me. I wonder if I should remove her to a 10g tank and salt just her, because everyone else looks perfectly fine.

Oh, and I wonder if this could be connected to a plastic thing I recently put in the tank. I had it soaking for two days to make sure it was safe, and the water in the soaking bucket always stayed clear. I just would think that if this is caused by the plastic thing, that all the fish would be suffering, not just one, you know?

c005-2.jpg

Hmmmm maybe take off the plastic canvas and maybe put on some pantyhose? Then maybe put the plants in a fish bowl. That might help too or a bucket and do a quick bleach dip. That's how I sterilize all of my plants. They do just fine. Maybe a minute or less in a less concentrated solution they usually do fine. They'll be just fine as long as they're wet. Plus anubias grow better with their leaves out of the water anyway I think. I hope she's feeling better :(

I like the idea of putting her in the ten gallon and salting her. I really don't think you should treat everyone, especially since you have had some issues with salt. If it goes away and then comes back when she goes in the main tank treat the main tank.

I don't like the idea of moving her. It is so stressful to do that and all the fish may need the salt treatment as well even if they don't show signs. As long as no one is picking on her I would leave her.

No need to move the plants they can tolerate some salt.

Drive safe.

I agree with Hidr - if something is going on in there you really want to get to the root of the problem and salt everyone.

If your plants are young and you have had problems you can put them in a bucket and shine some light on them (or even take advantage to give them some CO2 :) ) - however, my annubias and ferns have survived up to 0.3% salt well.

About the covers, you know how you asked me about the black pantyhose I was using? Well the other day (out of curiosity) I boiled a handful of them and OH MY GOODNESS THE WATER WAS PURPLE!!!!!! I had to boil them for about 5hrs until they stopped putting out color (!!!) So maybe you could try that with your canvas? Even just replace them with something else to see if it makes a difference.

If I get a chance tomorrow I will ask my friend of the goldfish, maybe he has seen something like this before? It sure looks strange... :idont

Okay, so hubby was nice enough to pick up a carton of aquarium salt for me, so I've just finished a 50% water change (that's all the more I could do at once without pH shock) and then added 75 teaspoons of salt to bring it up to .1%. Do you guys think I should go up to .3% over the next few days?

Still no word from Ken yet.

Oh and I noticed a couple of the fish (mostly the VT's, so it could actually be normal for them) had slight red patches, not streaks, on their tail fins. I double checked the params when I saw this, but ammonia and nitrite are still zero. So who knows. It could just be normal for them, because their fins are so long and tend to be a little bit red in places anyways. Luna is looking about the same and still eating. I'm glad she doesn't seem to be getting worse.

Maybe keep it at 0.1% For now and see if it improves and if everyone is still chilled out, and then slowly to 0.2%. Have you ever tried using sea salt for your fish? I picked up some kosher sea salt or that french seasalt that you see in stores and it's been working perfectly for me.

Do they drag their tails on the ground?

Only Serafina does because she bottom sits a lot. I think that's just her personality. But I keep the tank bottom very very clean.

I've tried salt from the grocery store that was supposed to be 100% pure, but I had a scare with it. So for now, I'll just stick to API, which I know is safe :)

Edited by Sakura

Oh no :( I noticed a few spots on Chiba's dorsal and caudal fin now too. Now that it's spreading to other fish I'm even more worried.

Oh no :( This is definitely a time to salt the main tank? Is it already salted?

No, no, it's already salted at .1% like I said above. I just did that a few hours ago. Tomorrow I'm going up to .2%. I really hope Ken gets back to me soon :(

Ok good good. I hope so too :( This is very strange. Do they look exactly the same? I'm really wondering what this could be.

Yep, it's the same kind of spots for sure. Very strange, I've never seen anything like it before.

Now I know for sure it's not just some strange color change thing with the panda.

It's good you salted the main tank. Now that we know for sure something is up. I would get that salt up to .03% in the next few days. It doesn't tend to bother my more established plants.

Ken must have just got home, because I just got an email from him. He thinks it's ich! I really really don't think it is... I have seen ich many times, and this doesn't look like any ich I've ever seen! :krazy: oh god... don't panic...

Looks like ich to me too. I'd treat for ich, with salt etc. for 3 weeks - unless they take a big turn for the worse.

The mesh should be fine, I've had the blue mesh in my tanks forever.

Wouldn't Ich be controlled by the UV?

Thanks for letting me know about the mesh Ashlee!

Yeah, I would have thought the UV would be pretty good about killing the ich. After all, this is the kind of thing I bought it for! But I also know that it touts a 99% kill rate or something like that. So it doesn't kill everything, just almost everything...

Daniel, thanks for stopping in :) Don't you think if it was ich, the fish would be flashing and scratching and clamping their fins? They are all acting perfectly normal. :hmm

Edited by Sakura

I've seen fish with ich act perfectly normal until the infestation got really heavy, and they don't tend to itch until it gets into their gills or really deep in the scales. Yours look tiny so might not be causing much irritation yet. I definitely think salt is the way to go, it should help even if it's not ich and if you're not comfortable with going to 0.3, as this looks so mild at the moment, you might be ok going to 0.2 and staying there for a week to see if it has any effect. Hope this sorts itself out soon without causing you too much stress!

WHen my psycho fish had ich they really didn't bottom sit or scratch - you know what could be a good way to tell, you could focus on a few spots on a fish, then check if they fall off. I could really be able to see the spots migrate. I also had the UV when it happened (but I didn't QT a fish from a bad source) the think with the UV is that it doesn't take care of anything ON the fish.

I would raise it to 0.3 - it seriously shouldn't hurt - hey, better to buy a couple new plants than to have to get new fish (!!!)

About the redness in the tail, has it just come up? Grace and Ingrid have pretty overwhelming tails, however, they never have redness in them unless there is a cause (for example after the trip in the bad water they did have them red for a few weeks - it takes a while for larger fish to just chill)

I agree with upping the salt just in case.... but the redness worries me after what i had just been through :( please keep me posted on their progress ;) my fins and fingers are all crossed for you that this is nothing to worry about :)

Thanks guys. Shell, I am still so worried that this is going to turn out to be like what happened to poor Blizzard, Bubbles, and Clemmy :(

The thing I'm concerned about I guess is that Ken said salt at .3% won't do anything. He says I'd have to go up much higher for it to kill ich. I think it goes back to the fact that these fish are from China and have been accustomed to salt in the water over there. He says I should use QuickCure or some other formalin/malachite green product. So I'm torn on whether to keep going with the salt, or try the QuickCure.

I still am doubtful this is ich, but at this point, I guess I have no choice but to go forward as if it was. Because I don't have any other leads. I thought there was some type of bacteria that caused round growths like this- columnaris maybe? Or what about fungus? It just looks to "soft" to be ich to me.

I THINK columnaris makes them look like they are growing and shedding too much slime?

Ken said for sure it's ich? Which is strange since he apparently QTs his fish real good right? We aren't talking about petstore fish who always have great possibility of having ich :(

Salt at .3 should work even if they are use to salt. It might take a litte longer but with your UV maybe not.