Sign in to follow this  
Sakura

White Spots On Luna

I saved Prince from the store when he was fully pine-coned and ich-y. He also likely had flukes but either way, he was an itchy fish. I think it's safe to say that any parasite that attaches to a fish and leaves open sores can cause an infection. Blisters that look like bubbles can happen during dropsy and is more common for pearlscales but can happen on normal fish as well since I saw a big one on Prince.

For Prince, I salted to 1 Tbs/gallon, heated the qt tank up to 85 ish and fed jungle anti parasite food soaked in garlic gel. He may be turning orange now but he's doing fine.

I also just used a round of ich attack and it knocked it out quick in my 75 gallon. It works best in weaker infections, not full blown ich. I also had the same salt and temp.

You are correct, clear bubbles are often seen on pearlies with dropsy. I think it's because they're scales are less flexible because of the hard deposits on them (which makes the scales have the pearl appearance) so they don't give and expand out as much. However, the liquid that's building up inside them has to go somewhere, so it just balloons out in sacs between the scales.

However, this is not happening in my fish. This fish (Chiba) does not have dropsy, and this white dot is on his fin, not his body. I also don't think it necessarily is a bubble, I just remarked that it looked somewhat like one. It's hard to tell for sure because it's so small.

Did you read the whole thread? I'm treating the *possible* ich with 3 ppt salt and heat because those ich medications you talked about are too harsh. My vet said the salt was the way to go. I am also treating with Baytril in their food to fight secondary infection.

Edited by Sakura

ich attack works on more than just ich and can be used at 3x the dose. It's not harsh at all. Salt doesn't always work with ich because of people's over use of it. Some people have to go to 3 Tbs per gallon just to kill it and even then it doesn't work. It looks like ich to me and the way your fish are moving supports it.

Either way, sorry about your fish and good luck.

The salt did work, and that's why the vet saw nothing in the body scrapes and gill biopsy. I brought the salt down a bit because it was higher than I thought when she tested it for me (6 ppt or .6%). She said it would be safe to bring it down closer to 3 ppt, but I did and the spots came back, so I guess not. I was told by a professional veterinarian that only salt should be used on goldfish because they are weaker than most other aquarium fish and salt alone will do the trick. Different opinions are out there of course, and even Ken suggested I should use QuickCure. My vet though said that salt is less harsh and just as effective.

I appreciate everyone's advice as always, but it would be so good if people who are trying to offer advice would read through the whole thread first so I don't have to keep repeating myself. I know it has gotten to be quite a few pages by now, but it will give you a better picture of what's going on.

I didn't see this mentioned yet--could your fish have been exposed to some contaminant like paint fumes, bug spray, air freshener, etc.?? I only mention it because I lost 5 bettas in a short period of time due to a mysterious illness earlier this year. The only thing I came up with is that they were at my bf's house and he used to burn incense near their tank quite a bit. They just stopped eating, displayed erratic swimming and/or lethargy and one broke out in white spots all over her body. One died and I had to euth the others--it was awful. After that I washed out their tank and everything in it with all natural dish soap from the health food store as it's non toxic and rinsed everything real good. Then I put a couple more bettas in it and they have been fine for months now--thank God.

Sure hope you find out what's wrong real soon--what a nightmare you've been going through! :(

Thanks Kristi for the suggestion. I don't use any harsh chemical cleaners or fragrance sprays or candles or anything like that in my apartment. I never liked them to begin with, but since I got the fish I officially banned all that junk. :thumb: Hubby thinks I'm silly.

Any good news today? How are Ino, Chiba, and Loki?

Ino is extremely bloated :( Chiba still has the spots, but he's still eating at least. Loki still won't eat, so I'll probably be going to the vet to get some injections. He looks totally fine, he just won't eat for some reason. Toad is good as always. Everyone in the 75g tank is pretty much still sitting, but Grindle swims around a bit.

Oh Sakura I am So Very Sorry your still having issues with your Goldfish :( now in both Tanks?? I wish I could offer some amazing advise :) but I'm sorry to say I am still stumped over the loss of my babies :( I do hope the ab help and things get back to normal for you again soon :) Keeping all my fingers and fins crossed for you all :)

Edited by shellbell4ever

Thanks Shell. No actually Ino has had issues for a long time now. She acts fine and everything, but the scales have been lifting sooooo gradually since about 2 months ago I'd say. So this is nothing new, it's just that since the vet gave me this nice antibiotic food I thought I'd try it on her too. It's not working for her though.

I just want you to know that I'm caught up. I don't really have anything to add, but support and hugs.

My vet said it's concerning that the Baytril doesn't seem to be working yet. Although it did help with getting the dropsy to go away- at least momentarily. Here's what she says...

It is concerning that the baytril is not working. It could mean we are dealing with something that we cannot easily treat.

There would be no savings for you to open the fish, as I need to do it so we are sure we are submitting the right samples. You could save a little if you wanted to take care of the shipping on your own. The histopathology charge is $120 and we charge $30 for shipping.

Let me know what you want to do.

We're talking about maybe doing histopathology on a fish if/when another one dies to see what kind of viruses or bacteria might be attacking them. She suspects it may be a pathogen called Myxosporidian based on the appearance of the white spots. Here's what she says about it:

I am suspicious of myxosporidean. This is a parasite that unfortunately does not have a good treatment available. The medications are difficult to get, expensive, and can cause death in fish.

We would have to submit histopathology of tissues to confirm the diagnosis. This would have to be from a newly deceased fish.

I am sorry to say the prognosis is not good.

Doesn't sound good :( The white spots that reappeared on Chiba's dorsal fin still haven't gone away even though I increased the salt yesterday. The only good news is that I think Loki managed to eat a chunk of food on his own today. Yesterday I had to feed him with a sryinge. They're still not looking good at all though, and the fins look more eroded each day.

From my experiences with her, when she says "the prognosis is not good", it's basically her way of saying they will die.

Edited by Sakura

I'm so sorry. :( This sounds like it is living h-e-double hockeystick. If it were me I wouldn't subject them to to the medication especially for that cost unless of course (and hopefully not) another dies. At least Loki's making an improvement. Does she have anymore information on this pathogen? :( If they do survive with treatment does she know if they'll be permanently damaged? This is so very sad.

Aw Sakura,I'm SO sorrysad.gif How does she think they might have been exposed to this dreaded thing?

Terrible news. I wish I had any sort of advice or help. What can you do to prevent your new fish from catching this?

Oh that is so sad... How about some PP dip or something? That is usually a save the fish or kill the fish thing - might be worth a shot.

The vet says if it is this myxo(whatever) parasite, then none of the regular stuff (salt, HP dips, PP, anything) will work.

They seemed slightly perkier in general today after a 90% water change, so I'm going to try and do one every day or at least every-other day. I was trying to avoid it because the salt is expensive. But all the salt in the world is worth it if I can save them. I might go to the hardware store and see if they have any salt that is FOR SURE 100% NaCl.

There is a new issue though. Grindle has one scale partially ripped off somehow and a little red irritated spot. Not sure what happened; if it could be from the parasite or if he bumped into something. But I was wondering, should I do an HP swab on it?

v048.jpg

I wouldn't HP it just because it isn't too angry. How about applying some BioBandage? Or PP paste?

Cross your fingers guys, they all seem slightly more alert today. I'm really trying not to get my hopes up too much, but I do think they look a little better today. Oh and Grindle's little sore thing looks more red today, so I think I'll HP it. I don't have any biobandage, but I really should get some.

I can not believe all this your going through :( sending big virtual hugs :) did your vet mention how a parasite like this could get into your tank?like where did it come from??I do hope the med food helps and you and your goldfish have a Happy and Healthy New Year!!!!

I don't think HP would hurt that boo boo. Hope everyone, you included, gets well soon.

Guest larsonsar

If you don't have Bio Bandage, you can also use Neomycin ointment from your drugstore on ulcers, wounds and eroded fins. Or Panalog from a vet also adheres well. I've had great luck with both, even though they do not have the added advantage of Methylene Blue in Bio Bandage.

Hope the New Year brings you good luck with your water birds.

Oh, that's good to know thanks! What about neosporin? Would that be safe to use?

Anyway, I've been gone all day so I didn't get a chance to HP Gridle's little booboo yet. I still think they are all generally acting more alert and actually swimming around a little bit. There are still a few lingering white spots on Loki and Chiba. Maho, Serafina, and Grindle (a little bit) are getting black smeary marks all over them, but especially on the fins. I know it's not ammonia burn, but I do think it might be some kind of healing response. Maybe they are beginning to heal from the parasite irritation or something. Unsure...