Sign in to follow this  
Sakura

White Spots On Luna

Would it do any good to put those 2 in Epsom for their dropsy? I really don't know-would it be too much?

I don't think it would be good, because I think the parasite still exists somewhere in the tank in a different stage of the life cycle. So I have to keep the salt up for a month to kill it all. I think if I took the dropsied ones out and switched to epsom, they would become re-infected with the parasite because it would be in any drops of water and also the filter media that got transferred over with them. Honestly I never really had much luck using epsom anyway, but maybe it's just me :idont

Ouch,caught between a rock and a hard placeundecided.gifYou're right,there is enough going on-especially if epsom has not worked for you in the past. Sweet dreams to you and all your babiesangel.gifheartpump.gif

I don't want to talk about it... :doh11:

Loki's dropsy is down, but don't get too excited yet guys. Every single dropsy problem I've ever had responds to meds at first, but then comes back worse and doesn't respond to anything. So it's still a guarded outlook. I think Grindle's dropsy is down as well, but I couldn't get a good look. I've been keeping the lights off. I'm seeing white spots again (on Chiba) and again they don't seem like ich to me, they look really diffused and more blotchy than spotty really. I'm thinking the salt might be a little low and I might add a little bit and see if that helps them go away. We'll see, I haven't decided on that yet. Everyone is still bottom sitting like they're miserable :(

No more deaths since Luna. I am super bummed about that. I thought she would be one of the healthiest because of her slightly more streamlined body shape. But when we came home I christmas day I saw her stuck to the filter intake. I'm pretty sure she must have died and then drifted around and got stuck there. :cry1 I think I have more dead goldfish in my freezer these days than I have alive in my tanks. It's depressing, so I try not to think about it too much. Oh and I have them in my freezer just because I didn't have the heart to throw them out and I don't have anywhere to bury them.

Oh and I'm pretty sure Ino's going to die sometime soon. Her dropsy has not responded to the antibiotics yet.

Guest jayhawks

I don't want to talk about it... :doh11:

Loki's dropsy is down, but don't get too excited yet guys. Every single dropsy problem I've ever had responds to meds at first, but then comes back worse and doesn't respond to anything. So it's still a guarded outlook. I think Grindle's dropsy is down as well, but I couldn't get a good look. I've been keeping the lights off. I'm seeing white spots again (on Chiba) and again they don't seem like ich to me, they look really diffused and more blotchy than spotty really. I'm thinking the salt might be a little low and I might add a little bit and see if that helps them go away. We'll see, I haven't decided on that yet. Everyone is still bottom sitting like they're miserable :(

No more deaths since Luna. I am super bummed about that. I thought she would be one of the healthiest because of her slightly more streamlined body shape. But when we came home I christmas day I saw her stuck to the filter intake. I'm pretty sure she must have died and then drifted around and got stuck there. :cry1 I think I have more dead goldfish in my freezer these days than I have alive in my tanks. It's depressing, so I try not to think about it too much. Oh and I have them in my freezer just because I didn't have the heart to throw them out and I don't have anywhere to bury them.

Oh and I'm pretty sure Ino's going to die sometime soon. Her dropsy has not responded to the antibiotics yet.

i said it once, i will say it again: dropsy was why i quit the hobby 5 years ago. i can't tell you how bad your dropsied fish is compared to mine because you haven't provide any photos, but from my past, dropsy had me "singing the blues" i feel terrible that you are going through this, especially because you have helped me out on here so much. i wish i could return the favor somehow.

Thanks Jay. I know it's tough, I have lost about six or seven fish to dropsy within the past several months. It truly sucks. I know I'm doing everything right too, which makes it frustrating. I think I have just had a persistent bug in my tank and if things don't look up soon I may have to sterilize everything and start from scratch :/

Guest jayhawks

Thanks Jay. I know it's tough, I have lost about six or seven fish to dropsy within the past several months. It truly sucks. I know I'm doing everything right too, which makes it frustrating. I think I have just had a persistent bug in my tank and if things don't look up soon I may have to sterilize everything and start from scratch :/

i haven't read through all 13 pages of the thread yet, but do you have metromeds??? they provided the best result when i used them about 5-6 years ago. too bad that they are expensive and have to be shipped to you. i used to be a member of the goldfish paradise forum and i supplied many members there with the metromeds i had. that was 5 years ago though. i don't have any right now, but if i had some, i could send them to you (once i get some money for shipping). why dont you post some pics of your fish up here for me to see? how bloated are they now?? i say this because i had very dropsied fish and i had two who only dropsied a little and the metromeds did save them temporarily until the dropsy reappeared a few months later.

Yes I have MetroMeds, but I actually took two of my fish to my fish vet and she prescribed Baytril which I added to their gel food, so they're getting that. She said it's more broad-spectrum and it's better than mm's. Here's hoping...

Guest Halloween

Aw, I'm so sorry to hear about your ill fish! I almost quit the fish hobby for good in 2008 when I lost nearly ALL my fish to some mysterious infection and then dropsy. One Lionhead survived of about 30 fish and she's almost completely incapacitated even today (lives secluded, swims slowly etc)

I sure hope your fish pull through for you!!!

Oh no....

About Ino, what is she getting? I can only say that with Poppins the dropsy came back after the MMs - so she got Jungle AP and it is now gone it seems.

Is Ken gonna hold on to the fish for you? It would be so great to have an all new tank for them so they don't catch whatever is going around in the other hands. I pray for you and your fish, but with how things were going for you so far I'm so worried that Luna won't be the last victim to whatever is causing all the trouble for you and them.

If worst comes to worst, you should nuke the tank/s afterward, like you said. I can't imagine how horrible all this is for you when it makes my heart ache just to think about you and your fish :(

:cry Sakura I am so so sorry. I didn't know you lost Luna. Thanks for the update. This is a horrid thing to be going through, esp during the holidays.

Sakura I'm so sorry all of this is happening :( But make sure Ken holds onto all of them until everything is over and then sterilize the heck out of it and move all of the surviving fish to a different tank, then bleach, PP, and whatever else you can find bomb the 75 gallon maybe? :( Dump everything from there and start with a brand new cycle. I'm so sorry about Luna and everything that's going on :(

Yes he's holding the three fish I have coming.

Ino (and Toad as a precaution) are getting the same Baytril food as everyone else.

I'm so sorry about poor Luna and how sad about Ino too. I know you've had her for a while now. :( Gosh, I just hope they respond to the baytril.

So sorry, I was soooo hoping for good news after the holidays :( Fins crossed that the others improve soon :heart

Things are getting worse. Loki refuses to eat today; he acts interested, but then spits it out immediately every time. :( I'm worried because he needs to get antibiotics in him every day. I tried calling my vet, but she isn't in the office today, so I have to wait until tomorrow to maybe get injections for him.

Also, the white spots are back, but mainly just on Chiba's dorsal fin. When he swims he acts irritated, and I saw him flick his dorsal.

They all bottom sit 100% of the time, they only swim around a little during feeding time. Everyone has eaten-away and red fins.

These are the best photos of the spots I've gotten so far. See what I mean? They do not look like the normal ich. That one at the bottom actually looks like a tiny bubble of skin to me.

q015.jpg

q016.jpg

And here's the bad fins

q012.jpg

Here's a quick video of Chiba swimming erratically. You can see the fin flick towards the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxnBwSmv_dg

Edited by Sakura

oh dear... what I am worried about is that you are giving baytril (only) - which I have been given for infection. and this seems more like parasitic behavior, with maybe a secondary infection from it :(

For the ones not eating you can bathe them in it.

Did the vet find no parasites on the scrape? It is strange because they were gone and then came back - and you kept the salt at 0.3? I wonder it if was the prazi who got rid of it?

they def look like bubbles tho! not at all like ich or funguses I have seen.

I wonder if you can get a tub large enough for all and find a way to sterilize the fish before putting them in ? Like in a PP dip? and then sterilize the tank and do a fishless cycle? I am worried that no improvement has been seen yet...

I see what Federica's saying about the bubbles. One on his fins definitely looked like a tiny little bubble like what pearlscales sometimes get when they dropsy. Maybe you can get a turkey baster and force feed him :( Poor things.

No there was improvement with the salt, but it's just coming back now. I suppose if it's ich, then it could be because the parasites fell off and most were killed by the salt, but now some have hatched again and re-infected some areas of the fish.

She gave me baytril to treat the secondary bacterial infection that's probably going on, but she said the salt would be taking care of any parasites.

I can't bathe them in Baytril because I don't have any in bath form. She gave me some super concentrated stuff to put in the gel food, so that's all used up. But the injections would be better than the bath anyways, because bath treatments aren't always absorbed very well by the fish. With the injection it would go straight to their insides. And Loki and Grindle's dropsy did improve a bit on the Baytril food, but again I'm still not overly optimistic because every dropsy case I've ever had responded to treatment at first and then came back later. :(

I just don't know how the possible ich could be such a trigger for such an infection...

Parasites irritate and open up the skin so bacterial infections can set in easily. With any parasitic infection there is a great risk for a secondary bacterial infection.

I saved Prince from the store when he was fully pine-coned and ich-y. He also likely had flukes but either way, he was an itchy fish. I think it's safe to say that any parasite that attaches to a fish and leaves open sores can cause an infection. Blisters that look like bubbles can happen during dropsy and is more common for pearlscales but can happen on normal fish as well since I saw a big one on Prince.

For Prince, I salted to 1 Tbs/gallon, heated the qt tank up to 85 ish and fed jungle anti parasite food soaked in garlic gel. He may be turning orange now but he's doing fine.

I also just used a round of ich attack and it knocked it out quick in my 75 gallon. It works best in weaker infections, not full blown ich. I also had the same salt and temp.

I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your lovely Luna, Sakura, and it's just awful that no one is doing well right now. It really is strange your spots are back and yet the vet saw no evidence of parasites when when she did a scrape. I wonder if to be extra safe you might want to do what others suggested and do a full scale nuking of the tank. You might be able to start a fishless cycle now in a rubbermaid or something to get things established while you are working through the current issue, then nuke the tank when the salt is finished and have a cycle started. I'm sorry you are having all these troubles...