Sign in to follow this  
Sakura

White Spots On Luna

Thanks Edith, I have looked at those things before and they don't seem to go low enough because they're made for saltwater tanks. Does that one go as low as .1%? And does it go up by only a little so you can get really accurate?

:oops: I just finished fiddling around with mine and you're right it won't work with such a low level of salt. :no: I guess the next best thing is using a scale as Federica suggested. That seems to be the most accurate method.

Okay, thanks for checking that for me Edith! It's good to know.

Sure Fang, here's a breakdown of the charges today:

1 Water quality testing salinity 15.00

1 Fish exam, in clinic 70.00

1 Baytril 100mg/ml 15.00

.5 Baytril 15.00 (I went back for more, and no fair... they charged me full price still for half a dose!)

Total 117.14

:thud Highway robbery much? :(

Edit: I just called her and she said that was a mistake. The actual charge for the half dose is $8. I guess the computer puts an automatic "dispensing fee" on all meds. Seems unfair, but what can you do? Anyways, she's crediting my account for the error amount at least.

Edited by Sakura

I say demand the other half!

Hope this works for them. Good luck :)

70 dollars is what you CAN expect to pay for a dog (even if my vet charges 40). There you actually HAVE stuff to check. ummmm... what clinical exam do you do on a fish??? :hmm

It would be so great if you found an advanced hobbyist next to you with a microscope and lots of knowledge which he could share with you for free! :ignore

I know, she just looks at them and looks in their gills. How can that be worth $70?! But I think she can charge more because a good vet who is knowledgeable about fish too is rare around here. It was neat being able to look at the gill tissue under the microscope. Someday I really want to buy my own scope and a nice parasite ID book too. Then I can do this stuff myself! That will probably be my next big "fish" purchase, but it won't be for a while.

(what is salinity? and how can it affect fish?) I am glad you have a new antibiotic! I feel bad you are going through all this stress, and your poor goldies, around the holidays. They are in my thoughts and I hope they get well. I have read that dropsy can be terminal but do not give up hope! You never know!!! Hope they eat all that new gel food :)

No Federica, it didn't bleed at all. She only took the tiniest piece, and it went just fine.

Auryn, salinity is the salt content. It's normally zero since they're freshwater fish, but I have it raised to kill the parasites. Yes, in all the dropsy experiences I've had it's been terminal every single time. I'm not giving up on the dropsy fish, but I think it's very likely that they won't make it. Gotta be realistic here and prepare myself for the possibilities :(

Thanks for the explanation... and re Dropsy I know I know... I'm still hoping though. I don't even think we have fish vets where I life, so since they are rare and probably not in large demand they have to charge more. It truly is a shame though. That is a lot of money. You said you brought two fish in, did she not charge you for the other?

I guess she just charged one exam fee for both fish. I figured she would do that, and I would have refused to pay if she charged $70 per fish!

If it makes you feel any better-my wet pet vet DID charge me $70.00x2 when I took 2 in. 1 of them had sbd,and he wanted like $1000.00 to do sb surgeryyeah.gifHe acted as if when he explained to me that that included X-rays,and some medication-it should make perfectly,logical sensedoh11.gifNeedless to say,we did not do the surgeryohmy.gifI think they charge that because they CANwhatjust.gif

I think so too Susan! They know that not very many vets treat fish, so they can charge more.

Grindle is definitely pineconed now, that happened fast. I am bummed because he always seemed like the healthiest and most active of the bunch. I hope none of the others pinecone. Everyone ate the medicated food like good boys and girls :)

Hopefully things will start to turn around here,soonangelstaf.gif(like magic)

Wow, Susan! As much as I love my fish, I wouldn't (and couldn't) pay a thousand bucks for swim bladder surgery. And I am sure surgery on a fish is much more risky than on a dog, so the chances of survival are a lot smaller.

Just imagine them coming out of surgery, telling you "oh hai your fish died, can I have the $ 1.000 for surgery now please?"

An hour later I'd probably need somebody to bail me out of jail.

No improvement. :( When Chiba tries to swim around, he backpeddals and kind of gasps with his mouth a lot. You know what I mean? It's like his gills are irritated or something. I'm going to try to do a 90% water change today. If not today, then for sure tomorrow.

I don't know what the backpedalling means - I have also seen sick fish do that.

If you are not using water meds you can always add some carbon - incase some chemical is leaking somewhere. who knows... :doh11: The other day I put an airstone in the 200gal and you can't even imagine how much it STANK 24hrs later of chemicals...

I have some spare bags of carbon, maybe I'll go ahead and do that.

Thanks Amy :)

They are hanging in there. The fins are starting to look eaten away a little on most of them, but I think it's just because they're sitting on the bottom so much. I feel like I'm not doing enough to help them, but in reality there's just not much else I can do.

You are doing everything possible, your fishies are lucky to have a mama like you :D:heart Fins crossed for happy news for the holidays :)

Aw thanks Buggy :heart

I am holding out a little hope that they will all somehow make it through this, but at this point I'll be happy if even half of them make it through and stay alive for a long time yet. We'll see...

Oh Sakura,I'm so sorry you and your babies are having to go through thisundecided.gif When I think about it-it usually takes at least a couple of days for a/b to make me start feeling betterill.gif Hopefully tomorrow is a better dayheartpump.gif

Thanks Susan :heart

Yeah, I'm hoping the antibiotic kicks in soon! I'm encouraged a little bit because they all forage around a little bit and act slightly more active during feeding time. Grindle and Loki are still dropsied though. But at least none of the others have dropsied yet.