Sign in to follow this  
Sakura

White Spots On Luna

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0ppm

[*]Nitrite Level? 0ppm

[*]Nitrate level? Unsure, but normally it's below 10, and I've been doing 50% water changes at least every three days. Last water change was yesterday.

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8.4 (I do have a system to deal with the difference so they're not shocked)

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater Master

[*]Water temperature? ~75 degrees F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gallons, running for at least six months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Two AC 110's

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? At first every-other day because the ammonia would register slightly after that amount of time because I increased the bioload when I added these new fish.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 6 fish, all are medium-large sized fish.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Just Prime, although I occasional add Flourish Excel at less than the recommended dose

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Gel food, small amounts once or twice a day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No, all six fish were added at once three weeks ago

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

There are tiny white spots all over Luna (panda butterfly). They do not look like part of her coloring, they look like they stick out slightly from her body. They almost look like ich, but they have a more "fuzzy" or "soft" look to them if that makes sense. The tank has a huge 25 watt UV on it, but I guess it's still possible that she could become infected by something. It started out as only a couple tiny white spots on her tail fin, and I just kept an eye on it. But they have increased dramatically overnight and during the day today, to the point where I am becoming very concerned. They started out mostly on her fins, but then I began noticing them on her eyes and head area as well. Now I'm seeing them all over her body even- especially on the "shoulder" area. She is not bottom-sitting, clamping her fins, or doing anything out of the ordinary. She spooked and swam erratically once (not flashing, just erratic swimming), but I really think it's only because of the light on the camera as I was trying to photograph the spots on her.

I've emailed Ken already, and I'm hoping he gets back to me soon with advice on this. No other fish are affected at this time. I'm wondering if it may be some type of minor bacteria or fungus. I'm not ruling out ich, but to me it really doesn't seem to be ich even though it looks slightly similar.

These spots were really difficult to capture on camera, but they show up more in person. I could only get two halfway-decent photos, but just know that these spots definitely stick out from the skin, and they are more pronounced in person.

h050.jpg

h049.jpg

I'm hoping this video will show you a little bit of what was more difficult to pick up on the photos:

(It's still processing, but after 10 minutes or so it should become more clear)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAQMlZfTzAo

I'm wondering if there's something in your filters or water. Or maybe there's something on the plants or rocks. From what I've read the white spots are related to bacteria, I'm going to go look that up now to be completely sure.

I'm wondering if there's something in your filters or water. Or maybe there's something on the plants or rocks. From what I've read the white spots are related to bacteria, I'm going to go look that up now to be completely sure.

I would think anything in the water would be taken care of pretty quick by the UV. But perhaps the plants? They were from a pet store, but they were the type that are packaged dry in those plastic cylinders, you know? I sterilized them, but only with vinegar since I figured they hadn't had contact with other fish- at least not since being packaged. Thanks for helping me out Tay! I'm getting worried here :unsure:

I can't find the thread but it was about those white spots that you occasionally see on the fish's tail. Maybe take the plants out one by one and quarantine them. She's eating well though right? I feel so abd because you've been having all this trouble lately with them :(

I can't find the thread but it was about those white spots that you occasionally see on the fish's tail. Maybe take the plants out one by one and quarantine them. She's eating well though right? I feel so abd because you've been having all this trouble lately with them :(

Yeah, they look exactly like that! Except they're all over her body and fins :( Yep, nothing in her behavior has changed yet and she still eats well. I wonder if bringing salt up to .3% would help, but I want to hear from Ken first before I do anything. All I know is, that would be a heck of a lot of salt! :yikes

This is very very strange. :( I agree on waiting for him but I think it would be beneficial to treat the whole tank if he says so. If she has it they could be exposed to it to. I wish all these problems would quit happening to you! The good thing is she's eating! Like a pig I hope albeit unladylike :rofl

It's strange, because they have all been doing perfectly since they got here, and now this has happened out of the blue and so fast! I'm just glad she's acting normal so far, and I really hope it's a quick-fix kind of thing. It's so strange that she's the only one affected though. It makes me wonder if it's something to do with a color change, because I know in time she'll change to all white. But it really looks like something sticking off of her, rather than just a different colored spot.

Sakura,they don't look like they could be breeding stars,do they?

Sakura,they don't look like they could be breeding stars,do they?

Hi Susan

No, they are definitely different than breeding stars.

Darn! It was worth a (wishful)shotyeah.gif!

Yeah, I wish it was just that! But this is definitely different looking than breeding stars :( Do you have any ideas on what it could be? In my gut, I have a feeling salt up to .3% will help. But I just don't know for sure, and Ken always seems to discourage the use of salt. Then again, I've never asked him about anything like this before, maybe he will think salt is a good idea for this.

Maybe,I must admit I am also a little leery of salt. And it doesn't look like it could just be random scales getting white? When my lavender Tele was(and still is)changing color,she looked like she had some weird fungal thing-it was a trip! Other than that,I don't know-those are the only white spots I've ever had. I can tell you that a uv does not cure everything-I've had plenty of things occur using a uv.

Maybe,I must admit I am also a little leery of salt. And it doesn't look like it could just be random scales getting white? When my lavender Tele was(and still is)changing color,she looked like she had some weird fungal thing-it was a trip! Other than that,I don't know-those are the only white spots I've ever had. I can tell you that a uv does not cure everything-I've had plenty of things occur using a uv.

I know, I was wondering about it maybe just being color change. But it looks more like little dots of fungus or something that are sticking out from the skin, rather than little spots of different color on the scales themselves. Know what I mean?

Oh that's right, I had forgotten about your troubles with salt. Well I emailed Ken the photos and video, and let him know how quickly it's spreading. Hopefully I hear from him soon :)

From the photo they really do look like breeding stars to me, because of the way they stick out a bit. But you can see them in person, so you have a different eye. They do look different than ich. And she looks like she is acting absolutely normally which makes me inclined to think you are probably smart not to panic here. I can't imagine the salt would hurt, but I think if you wait a day or two to hear back from Ken you will be fine...she is acting normally. Though when she swam by the camera I am sort of leaning towards thinking she might be a he...I thought I saw an innie.

She actually has a pretty nub, you can tell in person. I have checked them all :) I'm pretty sure these are definitely not breeding stars, there are none at all on the leading fin of the pectoral or on the gill covers. Also, they started on the tail and then later spread to the body. That seems really strange for breeding stars. I know that breeding stars can be on the body and other fins sometimes, but I have never known them to be all over the entire fish like this. Plus they look different than all the breeding stars I've seen. Breeding stars look more clear and pronounced, but these spots are more "fuzzy" looking if that makes sense. Less defined.

Yea they cold be breeding stars but only if she also had them on the fins and face. (my older ryukins get them also on the outside tail rays+body)

Are they raised? If they are flat, then it could be a color change. But if they are raised... I would salt. I personally love salt - AND you can keep running the UV sterilizer :)

Oh Sakura I hope not... but thats what my bubbles started out with :( and at first i thought it was ich :( I do hope it's not what ever i had (please let me know what ken says)

I don't know if it is the same, but a few months ago Orange Fishie was showing white, slightly raised spots on her tail fin. First I thought it might be ich, but it didn't look like it. Looked more like tiny pimples, raised up, not like ich.

I went up with salt to 0.3% and within just a few days it was all gone and never came back. I was told it could be a bacterial thing, or caused by stress or so. It happened shortly after they all switched to their current tank.

I hope Luna has something simple like this, she is my favorite of yours :)

Im going to tell you to do what I do and did yesterday. Do a huge at least 80% water change. And add some salt. Then wait and see if they go away. Looks a lot like the same stuff Mongo gets on his wen every couple weeks. Water changes so far have been doing the trick for Mongo. With a little salt.

I dont think those are breeding stars, why dont you try giving a salt bath? it might help

Zain the spots are to big to be ich. But thanks for the post.