Do Some Fish Just Enjoy Being Upside Down?

Mumzilla

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[0]Ammonia Level?

[0]Nitrite Level?

[10]Nitrate level?

[8.3]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[8.3]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[62]Water temperature?

[20 long - 6 months]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[hob and sponge total of 300 GPH]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[1 x weekly - 10 to 50%]How often do you change the water and how much?

[3 2 inch ranchus]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[minerals added becasue of soft water -Equilibrium]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[Aqueon sinking pellets 2x daily. Occasional veggies or oranges. periodic fasting and peas]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[no]Any new fish added to the tank?

[no]Any medications added to the tank?

[no]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[she floats around upside down - but when she sees me, she flips back upright and swims normally.]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

I am perplexed - Egg is a VERY egg shaped ranchu. She is chubby to say the least, but eats about the same amount as her tank mates. She can swim normally, and does when she sees me near the tank, but if I sneak up on her, she is ALWAYS floating and swimming upside down. She is more shy than her tankmates as well, so I think she feels vulnerable when upside down, but I really think she likes it. I realize that I am overstocked, but I keep track of the water parameters and plan on moving them to the big tank when they can handle the bigger fish and bigger current. They are in a 20 long and growing nicely. So I guess my question is--should I be concerned - or just keep up with my water changes and keep an eye on her.

• Supporter

have you noticed any difference in her when you've fed peas? how long has she been upside down for? was she like this when you got her? sometimes, you can feed a granuel of epsom salt if the swim bladder in your opinion is not permenant and this will relieve the fish.

i am wondering if she came to you with this problem and now is a permenant disability for her.

most fish with this problem live long healthy happy lives and there is no need to euthanize.. however, you will need to ensure she gets her fair share of food.. otherwise, i don't see any serious health threat.

She definitely gets her share of food and she can get where she needs to go. She has always been a little "floatier" than the others, but the upside down has been about a month now. I have had her for about 6 months. I am wondering if she might be a little sensitive to the cold. Their temp was around 76 in the summer and is about 62 now, but she can swim well when she flips herself back upright, so I just don't know. I will keep an eye on her but I think maybe she has just discovered a new game.

I would try to fast her for 2-3 days,then feed her a pea w/ epsom in it. When I starated out,I had a black moore that I thought 'played games' with me too-he would float until I came by-then flip back over-I was amused by itdoh11.gifTurns out it was something I should have paid attention to b/c he ended up floating all of the time,and eventually could not right himselfohmy.gifAfter floating for many months,he suddenly sank and could not get up off the bottomoops.gifHe lived about 1 year like that and was ok-but I sure wish I had tried to treat him to prevent it becoming permanentexactly.gif