Quiet Air Pumps?

kazaba

Hey everyone, sorry if this has already been addressed elsewhere; I'm very busy and thought I'd just post this quickly.

Anyway, I decided to get an air pump and bubble wand for my tank to help with oxygen levels. I've seen the fish hanging around the surface more frequently, so I thought this would help. I bought the Top Fin Air Pump 3000, and it is so loud :(

The tank is 40 gallons, and this model says it's for a 40 gallon tank, it also has two outlets for tubing. My question is--how quiet can air pumps really be? This thing was definitely louder than my filter. I even had it on the carpet; it wasn't touching anything to make vibrations. It was the pump itself making the loud humming noise. I've read reviews where people have said these pumps are quiet (please tell me that what I'm hearing isn't "quiet" for an air pump!) I guess I'd just like to know if I can find an air pump which is not too expensive and is actually quiet (my tank is in my bedroom ;) ).

Thanks!

Kailey, I use the Whisper 10 (single outlet) on two of my tanks to run bubble discs and bubble wands and they're very quiet! I'm typing now and I can hardly hear them running. BUT for my 55 gal tank I have a Whisper 100 (dual outlet) in my other room and it sounds like a garbage truck running through a nitroglycerin plant. I'd recommend the smaller Whispers but stay away from the Whisper 100. Try packing up and returning your Top Fin for a better and more quiet pump. ;)

I personally have the same exact air pump. It sits on a metal file cabinet and is as quiet as can be. Perhaps you got a faulty one? Are both outlets being used? If only one is in use, it can be very loud.

Thanks for your responses :D

I think this one is definitely going back...

ashlee, I am only using one outlet :exactly I tried covering the other with some cotton and tape :rolleyes: Maybe I should try the next size down, which only has one outlet.. :bingo:

Annnnd if that fails, I will give the whisper a try (it's a bit more expensive)!

Thanks again! :)

The cotton and tape probably aren't sealing well enough. Try putting on a short piece of airtline tubing and tying it ina knot or crimping it closed. Or get a "Y" or "T" splitter and hook it up so that each outlet goes to one of the branches of the connector and then one long piece of tubing goes to your bubble wand, so the outlets are combined. Does that make sense?

That said, I have no experience with that specific pump. But I have had some that are definitely loud no matter what you do. Rena air pumps are very quiet, but not very cheap.

I got an Aqua Culture 20-60 gallon air pump in my goldi tank. That thing is pretty strong, I added some T valve to use one outlet for the bubble wall, and the other outlet with the T valve for the two air stones.

I have it sitting on the carpet, and I can not hear the pump itself. The noise of the bursting bubble combined with the (still quiet) whisper filter covers up the pump's noise.

It also is only about $ 12 at Wally World.

I found that on the WM website it has some people giving it bad reviews, saying it didn't last long, but I got this one for a while now and it always works perfectly fine, never lost power, never quit working.

If you have only one outlet in the tank (bubble wand), you could probably feed it from both air outlets by using a T valve reversed, I guess. Or buy another small bubble wand for a few bucks, take off the piece that connects to the air tube, put it in the other end of your already existing bubble wand, and have two air tubes on it. :) Or add another air disc or stone to the tank.

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone! I went to Pet*smart yesterday, and was about to buy the top fin 2000, but I couldn't get that annoying humming sound out of my memory. I didn't want to risk it and end up having to make another return trip. So, I bought the Whisper 10, as a couple of you have suggested.. and I love it! It is extremely quiet in comparison... and the amount of bubbles/force of air seems to be about the same as the top fin 3000 anyway (which seems strange to me). I would highly recommend it :). The fish seem to be liking the airation so far, too; I'm getting quite a variety of reactions, ranging from trying to attack the bubbles to avoiding them altogether! :D

Good to know the whisper 10 worked for you. I'm probably going to set up a bubble wand for my new tank.

mj

I'm glad your new pump is quieter! I got to this thread too late, but for future reference, I totally totally totally recommend Rena air pumps. I have a Rena 400 on each of my tanks. They're so quiet that I have to touch it with my hand to see if it's plugged in. A little pricier than other air pumps, but worth it -- I've had one of mine for more than 10 years!

• Supporter

I'm also jumping in pretty late, but wanted to throw in my :twocents incase anyone is reading this or is considering an air pump. I love both the Rena and Whisper air pumps; they're great. I also wanted to mention AirPods. They are a little pricey but these things are super quiet and push a good amount of air :)