Fin Rot Not Getting Better

npila1

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? <5

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.5

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 6.8 (i use buff it up)

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drops

[*]Water temperature? 72

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gallons, 6 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? aquaculture 10-30 gallons

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? i have been changing it daily for the past week or so, 30% each time

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish, 3 inches each

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? twice a day: progold, peas, corn, freeze dried bloodworms

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? last added prazi 4 weeks ago

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? what i think looks like fin rot and also a single blood streak in her caudal fin (the lower lobe)

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No bottom sitting, great appetite, active most of the time, but as I mentioned in a previous post, sometimes she "hovers" with her dorsal fin clamped.

I noticed that my comet had fin rot (initial stages), so I started treatment with daily water changes and 0.1% salt 9 days ago. She has it on the lower lobe of her caudal fin and there is a white edge at that part. The tips of her pelvic fins are also "missing" but there is no white edge there. It hasn't gotten better or worse since I started the treatment. If anything, it's slightly worse on the caudal fin, but it's hard to tell - there's probably no change.

Here is a really bad photo that should serve to show what area of the fin I'm talking about: http://s932.photobucket.com/albums/ad163/npila1/?action=view&current=DSCF4612.jpg

And since I couldn't get a good photo, I took a video: http://s932.photobucket.com/albums/ad163/npila1/?action=view&current=DSCF4613.mp4

If you focus on the lower lobe of the caudal fin, I think there are times when you can see the "missing" part of the fin.

The problem is that I'm leaving for a week in 9 days, so I want to try to take care of the fin rot before that, so I don't have to worry about it while I'm away. I will have someone come over to feed them, but he won't be able to do anything more than that (i.e. water changes).

Edited by npila1

My fish used to always get mouth fungus when I had gravel (agesss ago). I think you could try thinning it down a bit. When you stir it slightly does the water get very dirty?

I've actually been removing gravel gradually, a bit with every water change. It's not extremely dirty because I vacuum it well, but yes, sometimes some poop will float up when I stir it.

Removing the gravel is a very good start, and removing it slowly like you're doing is the way to go. You can increase the salt level to .2%, and if that doesn't seem to be helping after a few more days of observation, you can go up to .3% if need be.

Removing the gravel is a very good start, and removing it slowly like you're doing is the way to go. You can increase the salt level to .2%, and if that doesn't seem to be helping after a few more days of observation, you can go up to .3% if need be.

Ok thanks, I'll try that. If I do increase it to 0.2%, I should add the extra salt all at once, right?

P.S. your signature looks great!

Thanks for the siggy compliment!

Yes, you can jump straight from .1 to .2% no problem. I hope the extra salt will help clear it up soon! Definitely keep us posted.

Thanks, I definitely will.

So I increased the salt level to 0.2% and I noticed that my comet, Lucky (who is NOT the one with the fin rot), has been twitching since the water change/salt addition. He used to twitch a bit once in a while before too (I had it at 0.1% for the past 10 days), but I feel like it's more now. He also has long stringy poo with bubbles in it. Any ideas about what is going on? Is the poo because of constipation? I really didn't think I was overfeeding. And is the twitching because of the salt?

Some fish may be sensitive to the salt so that's probably why. It could also be stress poo or he could have parasites. Any video of the twitching per say? Were they ever treated with salt for parasites? (Forgive me if I've asked this 1000 times. I tend to be a forgetful little lady).

Some fish may be sensitive to the salt so that's probably why. It could also be stress poo or he could have parasites. Any video of the twitching per say? Were they ever treated with salt for parasites? (Forgive me if I've asked this 1000 times. I tend to be a forgetful little lady).

I don't have a video because he doesn't do it that often and it doesn't last long, so it's hard to catch it on video. I had the salt level at 0.3% for about 10 days last summer, but that was pretty much it. They just finished a prazi treatment a month ago though.

If he's intolerant to salt, you will definitely be able to tell. Normally salt intolerant fish will swim around frantically with their mouths stuck wide open. It's a sad sight. Maybe the twitching indicates that he has something on him (parasite perhaps) that the salt is killing, and it's itching him a bit. That's my guess at least :)

If he's intolerant to salt, you will definitely be able to tell. Normally salt intolerant fish will swim around frantically with their mouths stuck wide open. It's a sad sight. Maybe the twitching indicates that he has something on him (parasite perhaps) that the salt is killing, and it's itching him a bit. That's my guess at least :)

Ok so I guess I'll wait and see...

So it turned out that they also have flukes so I started a prazi treatment too, with the salt at 0.2%. The fin rot is STILL not getting better with the salt... And now the tip of the lower lobe of the caudal fin turned pink/red. What does this mean?