And Then There Were Two...

Chrissy_Bee

When I moved into my new house in June, I had 5 healthy goldfish in my 55 gallon tank. Now I have 2 :(

I lost Fred almost immediately, I blamed water issues during the move. Then my oranda Patchy developed dropsy and died suddenly. Then I got home from my trip on Friday only to find Patchy's brother, Munchie, dead. It looks as though he had a massive internal infection, though up to when I left last Friday he was showing no signs. These are more deaths than I've had in the last 3 or 4 years all within a few months! It's very sad :(

Thankfully I still have George and Penny, my oldest and most loved fish. I'm trying not to take this too badly and am going to try and rebuild my tank. I'm removing some deco (artificial driftwood) that I think may be holding bad bacteria. It's not hollow, but I've seen bubbles come from it which makes me think there are some small spaces in there...the perfect place to breed nasties. I'm also going to just give the tank a huge cleaning. I actually did a good one before I left last week, but it doesn't hurt to try, try again. And I'm going to retest my tap water. I think something must have changed drastically when I moved, maybe the kH or gH, who knows. I might call the city too to see if anything is added to the water. I haven't been as involved with my fish since the move, but I certainly haven't neglected them either. So many deaths in such a short time seems odd to me.

I think I may get another fish after the holidays, but 3 is fine for me, I'll keep it at that.

Don't worry, I'm not discouraged or leaving, I just had to share my sadness with my goldfish friends :(

Hopefully I'll have no more bad news to share anytime soon!

Thanks, I hope so too. They both seem completely fine but I'm going to be very careful with them. I don't want to lose anymore fish!

I've also lost a couple of tropicals since the move, but hadn't thought anything was out of the ordinary. Now I am really wondering...

I'm so sorry Chrissy :( Do you have a UV sterilizer by any chance? I think a really good quality one would be a great investment since the main cause of the losses could be a bacterial infection. I don't know if GFC ships to Canada, but the 25 watt UV they sell is one of the best! It kills everything- bacteria, water-borne algae, and parasites. It has a really big diameter, coupled with the correct flow rate and light wattage, so it actually kills the pathogens unlike some smaller UV's that you see in pet stores claiming to kill parasites. There are other good ones too, based on what I've seen the Emperor Aquatics ones look really good, and there is a type (I can't remember what it is) that Kukana uses that also looks really good. Just something to try if you haven't already :)

I'm hoping the remaining two live on for a very long time yet!

I am so sorry. I hope things in your tank settle down.

Unless your cycle has crashed I think I woudl do all I could to avoid a complete breakdown. Unless you know why the fish got sick in the first place just does not seem like a good idea.

Maybe a good filter rinsing and large water change and add salt?

I'm so sorry Chrissy :( Do you have a UV sterilizer by any chance? I think a really good quality one would be a great investment since the main cause of the losses could be a bacterial infection.

That is a really good suggestion. They are available here, I think it is something I'll look into.

best of luck chrissy.. i wonder if it is a water issue.. post back if you can with the water params from the tap so we can see what the difference is.. i'm a tad curious.

I haven't tested yet, but I'll let you know. However, I don't think it's anything measurable with the test kits I have. Maybe a slightly different pH, but I'm really not sure.

I am so sorry. I hope things in your tank settle down.

Unless your cycle has crashed I think I woudl do all I could to avoid a complete breakdown. Unless you know why the fish got sick in the first place just does not seem like a good idea.

Maybe a good filter rinsing and large water change and add salt?

I don't want to do a total breakdown either, I have a LOT of established filter media. The salt may be a good idea.

I am really suspecting the fake driftwood. The more I think about it, the more it seems to have triggered problems. When I first put it in the tank, I lost a fish not long after. It is going TODAY

Aww no! I'm so sorry Chrissy :( Definitely check your tapwater, I lost fish in 2 house moves in a month, first was a random burst of ammonia for a while in the tapwater, and the second the pH would crash REALLY fast so definitely keep an eye on everything for a while. As you know not all fish react to everything the same, and not all react at all :( Good luck finding the problem and finding a new fish :)

Hmmm is it hollow on the bottom? I had one like that for my betta tank but I took it out as well it made me feel iffy :(

No, it's solid resin. BUT I noticed the last time I cleaned the tank that when I put it back in, streams of tiny bubbles came out of it....indicating that there are some very small spaces in there. Not good at all.

I had a peice of driftwood like that and my fish acted off with it. They were much better once it was tossed. Once I was able to really look at it the inside paint and plastic was peeling. I just don't trust that stuff.

I had a peice of driftwood like that and my fish acted off with it. They were much better once it was tossed. Once I was able to really look at it the inside paint and plastic was peeling. I just don't trust that stuff.

Really? I'm going to take a good look at it now. I'm thinking it is the culprit, I should have trusted my gut feeling and taken it out before this...but oh well, lesson learned!