Amonia Remover

sasha

I use the AC zeolite ammonia remover media every time that I cycle a new tank. Along with daily water changes and parameter tests it works for me. I keep them in my filters until the tank has cycled.

hi black teles. ive been to the local pet shop today and found the tank i will be getting in a couple of months.

i have to buy th filter separate and im looking at the fluval u4 underwater filter. its had some good revies on the internet,

im stuill not sure what my current tank is doing whether its cycled or not.

what should i do when i get the new tank , do i put new water in or do i put some water in from the tankm im currently running along with dechlorified tap water.

il use the same gravel and air pump, but what should i do about the filter, can i use the current filter cartridge foam to add to the new filter for a while . thanks

what should i do when i get the new tank , do i put new water in or do i put some water in from the tankm im currently running along with dechlorified tap water.

il use the same gravel and air pump, but what should i do about the filter, can i use the current filter cartridge foam to add to the new filter for a while . thanks

Hi sumer...I always use fresh water when setting up a new tank. I don't feel that using water from another tank however some people do recommend it. I'm more concerned with using either used gravel or filter media from an existing tank which is where the majority of the BB will be. If you're not going to be using the other tank I would transfer the media over to your new tank. You don't want to remove all of the media from your old tank if you'll be using it soon as this would cause a crash in the old tank's cycle. I recommend using a cycle booster such as Nutrafin Cycle.

oh thank you, i will not be using the old tank , i think my dad is having it. and he has tropical fish ,so he'l start from scratch.

so i can put my little shadow in the new tank straight away with the old media and grvel and dechlorified water.

also if i get some new fish ,im thinking of another 3 ,the tank im getting is 200 litres, can i put the new fish in straight away . thanks fer your advice

Well, if you're still having issues with your other tank it won't hurt to put your GF into the new tank provided that you test your water for ammonia and nitrites daily. I've cycled numerous tanks with fish however you have to be diligent with maintaining perfect water conditions to avoid any stress to your fish. If you can do a fishless cycle using ammonia to cycle the new tank then so much the better. I won't recommend cycling with fish because it's a difficult task but it can be done if handled properly. Once your tank is cycled then you can add new fish gradually but you certainly don't want to add any new fish only after your cycle is completed.

oh thanks well il just put little shadow in the new tank and wait and see what happens .

i constantly at the min with this tank, watching the water parameters, testing daily to keep amomia levels to a minimum and daily water changes. thanks so much x

Sounds good sumer...it looks like you're ready to accept the challenge. The biggest thing to remember is to avoid stressing your fish through excessive ammonia and nitrites. Hats off and good luck! Keep us posted, we'd like to hear your daily results. ;)

ok will do.

my amonia is no more than .5 each day so i do a 60% water change daily and i havent had nitirtes now for 2 weeks, i had them in the beg

my nitrate out the tap is 40ppm and ive put live plants in and its brought it down a little bit.

QT for GF would be for a 30 day period in a separate tank. You can then observe for any parasites or diseases. If you don't have a spare tank you can ask your LFS if they would quarantine for you. Most will at a nominal charge. My LFS has QT'ed a few fish for me...I believe they only charged me $10.00 per fish for a 30 day period. ;)

You can also do rubbermaid tubs or those plastic tubs you put clothes in. They are fairly cheap and a great alternative. Make sure with every quarantine you have a filter. It's essential