Extremely Sick Betta

Guest Mike and Linda

I just read through your other thread and the only thing I can think of is what Red mentioned about the Fiber Guard in Bleach. But you said it was just pure bleach... And I suppose you rinsed it well, right?

I'm not sure about the heater. I doubt it is the reason. If I understood you right, you just took the heater out without turning it off and letting it cool down first, correct? In that case yes, the heater will be so hot that you can not touch it without burning your hand. Under water it is not that bad because the constant contact with cooler water will cool off the heater while it runs - which is how it heats the water; the cooler water sort of absorbs the heat and warms up some while the heater is being cooled by the water. Without water, the heater is VERY hot.

I also don't think that the large size of the tank has anything to do with it. I know Sakura has her betta in a 29gallon tank. I don't think a betta can have "too much" room, just like any other fish, or bettas wouldn't be able to live in the huge rice fields. Especially with a long tank. A long tank has less water pressure than a tall tank I believe.

The only other things I can think of is if when he moved in, the temperature and ph were matched to his old tank water? Could he have eaten something weird? In case you don't have a hood, or openings, could something have fallen in there that he could have eaten? Maybe a piece of silicone that might still had some bleach on it?

Guest Mike and Linda

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 5

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? PH 7.6, KH 6, GH 8

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? PH 7.6, KH 6, GH 8

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? 82

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gallons, 3 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? AC 20

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? weekly 25%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 Betta

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? twice daily, bloodworms, krill, shrimp, peas.gel and pellets

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? salt

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? none

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom sitting, seriously heavy breathing, dorsal always down, will not eat

We have had him 3 months and he is not that old that we think.

I think an extra large water change would be good. Its the first thing I do no matter what the test read and nine times out of 10 the problem clears up.

Its only been one day since this started right? Give him some time to get use to the new environment.

Guest Mike and Linda

He has a hood on the tank. Fully baffled, I do rinse the tanks very well. He has all the same items that he had in the 10 except for the drift wood but he had one before.

This just happened in an instant. One minute very good and the next half dieing.

I just did a 100 % water change

I have had betta's get weird about change. And since there is nothing visiable not a lot you can do but wait. You could try to get him to eat by soaking bloodworms with garlic juice.

Onlly trick I know of to get a fish to eat.

Other then that clean clean water. Maybe turn out the lights too.

I don't know if this is normal, but maybe he is just stressed out easier than other bettas? Is the tank in a different location than the old tank? Is the 10g you moved him back into in the same location as before? Is it set up the same way as before?

I wonder if he really is just very sensitive to change. I this would happen to me, I would try to set his 10g up just the same way it was before, in the same location, and see how he does.

you say the driftwood is new for him? that particular piece? maybe you should remove it - did you boil it well before putting it in the tank?

Guest Mike and Linda

The drift wood we have had for a couple of years. The drift wood is out. His tank is the exact same as it was before we moved him. I will let you know in a day or 2 how he is. Thanks for your help.

Guest Mike and Linda

He is going peacefully. I am almost positive that he has a bacterial infection. His fins are turning white and pale and seemed to be shrinking. I used the finquel and he is passing peacefully.

I will have to bleach everything right?

Guest Mike and Linda

Well Flamingo was perfectly well and doing good. The minute I added the new heater that I bought he went down hill. He was fine until i added the new heater.

• Supporter

i know nothing about bleaching as i have never had a fish die on me.. so i've never had to bleach or clean anything. but someone soon should stop by and advise you of this.

i have a feeling that the bleach needs to be run through the filters also for a few days and then the tank and filters need to be left out to dry.. not sure, someone should pop by soon.

So sorry you lost your little guy.

You mentioned that he got sick after you added the new heater, did you clean it in some vinegar and water after you bought it? I noticed that a lot of stores will take heaters back and unless it was returned because it didn't work, then they will just put it back on the shelf. I know this for a fact because a friend of mine exchanged a heater that he didn't like for another one and they stuck it back on the shelf even after he told them it had been tried out in his reef tank! Since then I always disinfect all my equipment when I buy it.