Juvenile Vs Fully Developed Gf

Locke

Just wondering what the members here prefer when it comes to buying their fish?

I find I enjoy buying a juvenile. A fish no more than three to four inches, that still has plenty of room for growth, and development. I do get the satisfaction of having a nearly fully grown fish, because you have the guarantee of them being that size, and having already reached their potential. But I love the process, watching them change from the fish you bought, to the fish they become.

So do you prefer to spend your money on potential? Or would you rather have realized potential from the point of purchase?

I'm in the middle here...I like to buy juvenile fish as I get the satisfaction of knowing that I successfully raised them from young to a mature GF. I've purchased full grown GF knowing pretty much what the final outcome is. If I find an older fish that I like I would purchase it, but I'd have to say I get more satisfaction from young fish. ;)

Older fish like Link. He's 2 1/2 so I know what he's going to look like. Like Dennis said I like having them like that, but I like them in the middle so I can grow 'em from there sometimes. :o I'm not a fan of babies. Human or fish. LOL

• Supporter

both.. i prefer large fish, but the only small fish i would buy are blackmoors.. something about them.. they're sooooo cute as tiny tatters. all eyes and i love watching their bodies grow to suit them..

I prefer to buy bigger fish. I think it's fun how impressed people are when they come over, because they don't realize goldfish get that big! I just like them better- they seem to fill up the tank nicer. I've never been able to get a small fish to grow really, and I lack patience to try. Plus, I'm afraid of buying fish from pet stores anymore, because I've had such bad experiences when I do. Now I want to protect the auction fish that I have by not exposing them to pet store fish because I just think it's too risky. And most of the auction fish are larger already. Although I will be getting a smaller ranchu pretty soon. Hopefully I'll be able to watch some growth with that one.

I like both.

I love love love my Jumbo Ryukins but they are already pretty old. It is comforting to think that the only effort you need is to 'maintain' their looks.

On the other hand, in petstores I ALWAYS buy tiny fish! My Ranchu babies I got when they were 1-1.5 inches and Pixel was even less than an inch! I just love the 'baby with huge eyes' look.

It depends on if I purchased/adopted the goldfish local or had the goldfish shipped in. If shipped, I prefer a baby goldfish due to reduced risks and costs. If I purchased or adopted a local goldfish, I'd like an adult goldfish.

PS: Liking the Klaus avatar there/.

I always get little goldies. I like watching them grow. I really enjoyed when a fellow member shared several of her fry with me. THAT was a 1st for me watching them grow from REAL tiny goldies to adult.

Right now I have a baby Ryukin & a small Black Moor.......oh & I even have some tiny baby Tiger Barbs in the tropical tank!!!

I absolutely LOVED having my adult fish (Edgar the Japanese shubunkin). But I also have had a lot of fun watching Ava and Java grow up. I also think financially often.. so having a 5 dollar fish grow up into what would be 20-50 dollars at the pet store full grown is also rewarding, because I saved money in the long run, and still will have beautiful fish.. Granted the fish change as they grow, but generally (from what i've seen) the only changes have been color and size...and some adult goldies change color anyways. its not like a fish will grow up and reabsorb an anal fin or something.. If I saw an adult fish who's personality I liked that I believed to be pretty, I would buy it, sure.